Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Hawke
Level 73
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 324
Posted: 10/25/2017 at 11:14 AM Post #1
Prologue
Footsteps echoed off the stone walls of the natural prison, mimicking the way ones heart beats in time of peril...fast and unsteady. The way ahead was dark, too dark for the eyes of a normal person to see by yet it seemed not to stop the escapee. It was hard to breathe, as if the air from the cave had been stripped for the sole purpose of making the journey all the harder. But there was no time to rest, the exit was not far off now. How long had it been? Two weeks...three? The climb itself had taken almost a week, and the rest a bit more. Panting, the man doubled over, a hand clasped over the tunic he was wearing as if to manually calm his racing heart. It seemed as if it was ready to burst yet at the same time it didn't seem to be beating at all. Despite all he had been though, his mind still came up with such mundane illusions. The smell of pine needles drifted in with a rouge wind every now and again, giving him the last bit of hope he needed to complete his journey. It was home. God it had been so long since he had seen the land above, so long that he had lost count of the years. But that was all changing now. Standing again he ran forward, nearly tripping and falling over his own feet as he did. Please don't let it be daylight out, he wanted nothing more than to just escape out into the world not having to wait for the doing of a new night. Again his footsteps seemed to echo off the walls as he ran, which only added to the heart beat in his ears, all still an illusion to rest his wandering mind. It seemed that if it got any louder it would just explode, yet he knew that was far from the truth. Just a bit further now. With the scent of pine needles was freedom, and with freedom life. He had to keep moving, even if it did feel like he was suffocating. Each ragged breath he took filled his lungs with the sweet scent of fresh air, coated heavily with the taste of warm earth and even the scent of roses. It was the land he had been taken from so long ago.
Out of darkness rose the gates of heaven, a single ray of pure light shining through the cracks of the stone wall that kept them locked in this manifestation of Hell on Earth. There before him was the entrance to the cave, long ago covered to keep the monsters that lived underground from reaching the surface. He had almost forgotten about the wall. Despite everything he refused to let this get him down, not after he had gone through so much to get here. The footsteps came to a stop as he reached the wall of stone, laying a hand upon its cold rough surface. That was it, the last obstacle in his way to the world he missed so dearly. Please...please dont let his strength fail now. For the duration of the trip he refused to eat, which wasn't so bad to start off but now...it was a wonder he had made it.. Shaking as he gasped for breath he pulled his hand back striking the wall once. It was solid of course though he hadn't expected it to be this solid. If this failed, he was done for. It was only a matter of time before the guards found that he was gone, and only so long before they figured out what he was planing. All he needed was a hole in the wall in the wall large enough to crawl through, then he would be gone. How? Now it seemed impossible to get through! One small detail overlooked and now the whole plan was falling apart. Gritting his teeth he struck the wall again, the result being a few pebbles falling from the crack that was already there. How could he be so blind?! Where would he go now?! If he went back he would be killed on the spot yet he couldn't go forward all the same! Stupid! The palms of his hands contacted with the wall, the rough surface digging into them enough to draw blood, yet he seemed not to care. So stupid! If only he had listened to Matthew he wouldn't be here right now. All the pent up rage, anger, hopeless seemed to overwhelm him in that moment as he stared into the cold, grey abyss that kept him from life outside. In that moment he lost it, drawing back both hands as the red of his eyes seemed to glow brighter with rage. It took two hits for the wall to finally give way, a few of the rocks falling as the concrete sealing them gave way. As the dust settled the man emerged, panting more than he had the entirety of his trip. The bloodlust had taken over him again, loaning him the strength he needed to finish his journey though in the end it left him feeling worse than he had when he had started. The silver light of the moon shone down on the world before him, giving it an almost divine look. Holding a hand out into the light the man stepped forward, allowing the light to engulf him as he did. The red of his eyes seemed to glow with the light, nearly out shining the moon itself. It was home! If it hadn't been for the shaking in his legs he would have took off running, stopping only when the sun rose to claim the day. For now though the man simply sank to the ground running a hand through his ebony hair before covering his face in his hands. It was almost too much to take in, in truth he had doubted that he would have been able to have gotten this far yet here he was now sitting under the light of the moon. In all his years this was a day he had not thought would come.

Chapter One

Mrs. Keller Im going out for a bit! Ill be home before dark! A voice called from beyond the oak door that separated inside life to the wilderness beyond. With a steady motion the door was pushed opened as the young woman made her way out of the house. The tunic she wore was a light blue color, matching the scrap of blue fabric she used to pull her hair back into a small ponytail. Mrs. Keller had nearly beaten her when she came home after having cut her hair, though upon hearing the account of the accident with the neighbors mill she had let her off the hook. Long hair and a milling stone dont mix that is for certain. The unruly tangle of auburn hair was furtherly tamed in the confines of a messy looking bun until she found another calling in life, yet she didnt let it get her down. In the crook of her arm she carried a basket in which she planned on filling with berries and mushrooms from the forest beyond the fence. Sure she wasnt supposed to venture off in that direction but Mrs. Keller would never know that she didnt buy the berries, would she?
Dont you go off into that forest you hear? Its hard to find good help these days. Lord knows I dont want to have to dig you out of a bears stomach, I wont ever do that again. THe gruff voice of a woman called from inside the home where she was busily scrubbing at a pan that refused to get clean.
Yes maam! The younger of the two women giggled before making her way down the steps. Mrs. Keller had been kind enough to let her stay in the home as long as she worked for her keep. It was nice to finally have a spot to stay, most of her life she had been forgotten or overlooked. In this world a headstrong, plain farm hand wasnt the ideal wife for a husband. It wasnt that she wasnt pretty, for she was in her own way though she didnt turn heads by any means. Another thing was that no one wanted a lonely orphan to have to deal with. She had no living family left to help pay for the marriage, or to hand her over to her husband. It was too much trouble for a man to have to deal with for anyone to want her. Again though she didnt seem to mind, no man in this small village caught her mind enough for her to even bother with speaking to them. Maybe she was destined to be alone till her day came when she moved on into the next life.
With a wide smile the woman made her way to the square where the venders were just starting to put out their wares. Mr. Nelson had the same fresh breads he always did, just sitting out in the morning sun as their sweet aroma filled the air mixing with the smell of fresh herbs from Ms. Gards stand.
Mornin Hazel! The man called as he sat a large basket of hot cross buns down on the counter of the stall. Where you off to today?
Hello Mr. Nelson! You know the same old place I normally go off to. The woman smiled her hazel eyes glowing in the early morning light. And you? Working here in the stall all day like normal?
I need to be but not today. Mary hasnt been feeling all that great lately, I fear there may be something wrong with the child she is carrying. The man said with a rather sad smile. But Im here until noon. Hey if you come across any lilies out there could you bring them back? Ill be sure to set aside a tart for your troubles.
Aye, aye captain! I wont fail you! Hazel smiled saluting the man in a childish fashion before walking away from him. A lot of the venders waved at her as she passed, for she was a regular customer and not a face you could forget easily. Upon exiting the town she turned right at the fork in the road before she stepped from the given path. Placing the basket atop her head like the helmet of a royal knight she took off across the field in a full off run with a wide smile over her face. She loved running through the fields unlike many of the people in the village. It seemed that was just one more reason they looked down upon her, yet that was the way she liked it. Who said you had to fit in with everyone else?
Upon entering the forest though she stopped running and took to a slight jog. Now where were those bushes? Had she entered the woods in a different spot than normal, they were normally right there. Not thinking much of it she continued upon her journey for the sacred foods of nature. Great She sighed looking about her for a moment. Nothing in this part of the forest was familiar to her, even the trees seemed to be of a different type. Everything seemed darker now, and there was very little foliage upon the floor. A shiver ran up her spine as a chilling wind blew over, making her pull the basket down further. Something wasnt right, maybe it was best to leave, though at the same time she was too curious to just pack up and leave like that! And she hadnt gotten the flowers yet! Mr. Nelson was in a hard enough spot, those flowers might be his only saving grace. Taking a breath the woman narrowed her eyes, puffed her chest out some and went along the path she was blazing. Its just the forest, whats the worst that can happen? With that she gave a nervous laugh trying to push the thought of the bears from her mind. Why she could beat a bear up if she had to! Though the branch that snapped behind her told another story. With a shrill screech she pulled the basket down over her eyes as she tensed up. Lord help! It was a bear and it had came to kill her! But when no pain came, nor did bear like sounds the woman pushed the basket up. Before her stood a fox, watching her with amber eyes as if to blame her for why it had been disturbed. Laughing some Hazel relaxed. And to think I let you scare me, well met little guy. With that she turned to leave when a shadow rushed across the path in front of her, startling both her and the fox.
Who goes there?! Are you a bear?! She called out eyes wide with fear. Calm down, calm down no need to get upset, why it was probably just a bird! Nervously the woman took a few steps forward, carefully pulling the basket from her head as she did. Show yourself...or...or I'll hit you with this basket! No answer came. So you want to play dumb huh? I'm warning you! I'm not afraid to hurt you! As she turned around the tree there was no one there. See told you it was a bird Hazel. The woman smirked lowering the basket. Nothing to fear! Good, just the way she liked it. Turning she found that again she was alone, save for the trees that loomed overhead. Alright Hazel just find those flowers so you can get out of here. For a moment she closed her eyes taking in the smell of the pine needles. Flowers need water right? Find water or a field to find the flowers. Easy. Well easier said than done...the woods did really just point out where the water was, though she was determined not to go back empty handed. Trudging through the falls needles, Hazel made her way towards the direction she thought town was in, after all those woods were a it more familiar to her. Soon the pines thinned giving way to more undergrowth, and smaller trees some of which held the marks of a knife she normally carried. Finally! The woman exclaimed upon finding the bushes she picked the berries from. Setting the basket down next to her, she set to work in clearing the bushes of all the ripe berries she could find. Plump, round, bundles of sweetness like these were hard to resist yet she refrained from eating them, after all she wanted to get enough for a tart now?
Nearly an hour passed before she finished clearing the bushes of the fruit they bore. It wasn't a large haul, hardly enough to make a tart and a jar of jam. Sighing Hazel pulled herself as well as the basket from the bushes, careful not to get caught on the thorns. Now to find the water, which was to the east of the berry patch. Or was it south? Shrugging Hazel headed in a more south, south-east direction, though she stopped a few steps in. There near the patch of marigolds was a dog looking animal lying on its side in the bed of flowers. She knew this animal...Mr. Jason called her Lily, but now she lay there...lifeless. The basket was forgotten for a moment as the woman knelt next to the animal. Oh Lily...why did this happen to you? Of all the animals... The girl said in a sad tone petting the dogs fur lightly. How was she to tell the old man? It was sad news to bare to someone as old as Mr. Jason though it was better to tell him than to just let it be. Sniffling a bit as she fought to hold back tears as she stood up, the body of the animal hanging loosely in her arms. Who would do this to an animal? Lily was so sweet and loving, what monster could end her life like this? Numbly the woman exited the woods, head towards the ground as she thought of what she could tell the man. How did you go about this? Clearly she had never had to tell a friend or anyone for that matter that someone close to them were dead.
Two shaking knocks brought the man to the door. Upon opening it her was met with the sight of Hazel, sobbing at this point, clutching that body of the dog close to her chest as if for some reason she could grant it a bit of her life to bring it back.
Hazel? W-what happened? The man asked clearly confused at the situation presented to him. There in front of his door was a distraught girl, clutching his dog to her chest who seemed to be dead. One question ran through his mind, had Hazel killed Lily.
I-I dont know...I found her in the woods like this. I didnt want to leave her there for the animals to get. I-I-I She stammered some taking a shaking breath before the man places a steady hand on her shoulder.
Hazel please....there is really no need to cry, these sort of things happen all the time. Lily was an older dog, it must have just been her time to move on from this world. The man answered warmly, topping it off with a smile. I thank you for bringing her back nonetheless. Why dont you come inside for a cup of warm buttermilk to calm you down? With a steady hand she wiped her tears away before shaking her head some.
I would love to really though I really need to get home before the old woman gets irritated. The woman sighed as the man gave a light chuckle.
I understand completely. The man called Mr. Jason answered. Ill take care of her for now, you go and rest alright?
Yes sir. The woman said with a rather sad smile. With that she handed over the dog and departed from the house. Deep shadows stretched over the road as she walked home, giving away to the coming of night. No doubt a whole world of hurt was coming to her once she got home. Maybe it would be pleasant to just run off, to become a traveling merchant. If only that was an option but alas due solely on her gender that dream could never come true. The world they lived in was not one that was kind to a woman, though all she wanted was to be free. For now though all that was waiting for her was a tower of laundry, and a cold bowl of gruel.

Chapter 2

Slowly her eyes fluttered open as the sound continued to disturb her sleep. What the heck was that? Yawning the woman stood, rubbing her eyes some. The night dress she wore cascaded down around her legs, nearly tripping over it as she stumbled forward in the shadow infested home. Mrs. Keller? She asked in a whisper like yawn. There was no answer though the sound seemed to stop for a moment before starting again this time a tad quieter. It was this instant that Hazel stopped, fully awake now as she approached the door. Whatever was making the sound was just beyond the door

This Page loaded in 0.007 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.