Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Hawke
Level 73
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 324
Posted: 4/25/2017 at 2:32 PM Post #1
Prologue
It was long past that the deep rumble from within his throat had ceased, leaving the night to the soft chirping of the crickets as they sang their nightly melody. That seemed to be the only pleasant sound the night had to offer, not even the wind was in his favor at the moment. It kept bringing up old forgotten tales, secrets even that their holder didnt recall. That was not saying much though seeing that half the time most things tended to slip his mind quickly with his lifestyle, it was something about being on constant watch and always making sure that nothing was overhearing anything confidential he had to say. Who designed the road sign anyways? Its not like this one was going to get you anywhere save for lost, that was the only thought the kottr had as he huffed and turned to read the sign which seemed to have no writing on it at all.
"Too cheap to even carve the name of this blame town of the sign, pathetic." His own voice nearly scared him, it had been so long since he had heard it. The sign gave a faint creak making the kottrs ears twitch forward, and his whispers to tingle with anticipation. If only the farmer would hurry up and bring the piece he would not have to be so on edge all the time. Pulling the dark cloak closer to his brilliant white fur the vender leaned his back up on a tree, determined not to give on the chase that easily. The farmer knew what the price of breaking a promise would be, though he would most likely not live to recall it a second time. Why was it so hard for the marsvin to be on time? Its not like they had a life to live anyways. All they did was lay around reproducing and planting crops that never seemed to do anything other than die and rot away back into the same soil that had given them life. It was sick really, even saddening to some though not to this kottr, he was to good to feel sorrow for anyone other than himself. Maybe that was why he was alone, with nothing better to do than sneak about stealing from anyone he came across. Perhaps someone even felt sorry for him in a way.
In the distance a faint light appeared, though it was nothing...or was it? One could easily mistake a firefly for the light of a lantern though it was not likely that a firefly would hold onto its light for that long or fly in that straight of a line for that long, surely he would have better things to do rather than that. So could it be the marsvin? Or was it just another soul of the night like himself? Either way they were drawing closer, which would most likely end the same either way. No one was to keep the infamous kottr Malcolm waiting, no one not even his own family if they hadnt have left him when he was young. He had no need for them anyways? They would just slow him down in his search. The light was growing closer, thus the crickets song gave way to the faint clicking of a horses hooves as they hit the rocks on the road. The kottrs pointed ears turned forward as he caught the faintest of sound from the approaching wagon. The sound was instantly amplified, making it easy to hear the rambles of a the squeaking farmer as he made his way towards the cross roads.
"...I cant believe he wished to meet tonight, why not in the morning? I hate to be out at night, anything could sneak up and make me a easy meal." The sound of fur shuttering made its way to his ears. "Lets just get this over, its better he have the map piece than I have it. There's no telling what trouble this thing will bring." The kottr rolled his eyes as he stood up on his own and straightened his cloak before raising the large hood so that it covered his face. All he could see was the wheel of the wagon as they crept closer to him. A horse snorted from beyond the reaches of the fabric, and its master shushed it.
"Did you bring it as you promised?" Mal, as most seemed to call him, asked crossing his now covered arms, hiding the white fur of his arms away from sight. The farmer gave a grumble of anger as he climbed from the wagon. He dusted his pants off, the sound of ruffling fabric could tell that much. It was not until he heard the faint crinkle of paper that he became excited.
"As promised, though I seemed to have forgotten that I no longer have that whole of the map in my keep. Times have been hard in the later years, and I guess I sold them to get s few coins. Im sor-" He was cut off as the kottr grabbed the front of the overalls and pulled him forward, his claws snagging the thick fabric.
"Where are the other pieces? Who did you sell them to!?" Mal demanded, shaking the marsvin some as he did.
"I don't remember! Its been a while, to long for me to recall!"
"Then you should get to remembering them shouldnt you?"
"I do recall one being a blacksmith, in-in the next town? Yes that was her! The kanin with the blacksmiths shop in the next town! Please just don't hurt me." Mals eyes narrowed slightly right before he released the marsvin.
"A kanin you say?" Mal said pulling a tuft of black hair out from in between his claws. "Do say more. "
"Thats all I know! I swear! I sold her all the pieces, if anyone had it then it's her! "
"For some reason I don't think I can believe you, maybe it's the fact that you lied to me once before." Mal said looking at the marsvin out from under his hood. The full moon reflected off the white fur that covered his large pointed ears and face. The black v of fur that set on his forehead contrasted with his large green eyes as they shifted from a full circle to a very thin slit. The marsvin gulped and took yet another step back.
"Look I promise you that's the gal that I sold the rest to, she should still have them. Her name is Chara, just tell her that Carl sent you and he'll understand." The marsvin had backed up far enough now that he simply stepped up onto his uncovered wagon. "May the moon light your night path." He said tipping his straw hat some.
"And let the sun find its way to your crops." Mal said with a slight hiss. Even in the most heated arguments it was custom to end the conversation with a compliment, even if it was crude.
"Be careful, you are lacking the candle in which will guide your path." Carl the marsvin squeaked before he took the reins in hand and urged the small pony to wake. Slowly they departed onto the trail beyond the woods. The kottr wrinkled his nose at the thought of what the nasty marsvin had said to him, the nerve the thing had! If he was not in such a rush he would have bit the things head off at that tone, but alas he had a mission at hand that needed to be looked into. A kanin? Really? How could one of those fluffy, long eared, triangled nosed, all around jumpy creatures be a blacksmith? Now fuming with anger Mal turned to leave, his cloak flowing out behind him as he did. But a kanin? They thought they were so smart with their fluffy little cotton like tails and long back feet. The nerve...it made him sick to think about. How could something that little think it stood a chance at all? Sure he was a small only about as big as a two-legs knee, but he had means to protect himself with. Sharp claws adorned his fingertips, and he was made for killing. Silent and stealthy no one would ever see him coming until it was already too late for them. Stories told of animals like him but they walked on all fours and some even were worshiped as gods to the ancient civilizations of two-legs. Would that not be swell? Mal shook his head of such thoughts as he turned his back on the crossroads, blazing his own trail off to the side of the main road. He needed to find this blacksmith, why even would a blacksmith want a map in the first place? Was she planning on searching for The Tomb of the Lost like he was? What could she be looking for? He had to get the map before she started on her own journey. Mal wrinkled his nose at the thought of having to chase down the kanin, he was not up for this stupid game again. The one map piece of the map he had before this...experience had taken him nearly a year to find, the stupid two-leg that had it having ran at the first sight of him. The man had not stopped running for what seemed like forever though with the help of a blade in his back he had stopped. That was when he had first learned of the power and secrets the map was holding. Now he could not read the writing on the map, but stories told that there was a two-leg that could read all languages but Mal would have to see that to believe it.
The leaves gave off faint crunches as he walked along them which was frankly better than most could do. The pads covering his feet made walking nearly silent, and it helped that they were much smaller than that of many other beings. The kottr lept up onto a fallen tree, back claws of his unbooted feet digging into the bark, and his long black tail helping him keep balance as he ran along the trunk. It was a long way to the next town yet and he hoped that the night would hold up to the task of hiding him. The sun was not bad it was just that he hated the way it caused him to draw attention to himself, with the way his fur seemed to reflect the light giving him a sort of angelic glow. He would have to get over it though, his mission was far from over.
Edited By Hawkeye on 4/25/2017 at 2:36 PM.

This Page loaded in 0.007 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.