Players 2,402 361
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,244,056 1,095
Generated 656,241 59
Captured 1,190,530 56
Bred 6,397,190 980
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > General Discussion > How does this make sense?
Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Katesta101
Level 49
Threads: 17
Posted: 1/8/2017 at 8:00 AM Post #1
So I bred these 2 Luffox, they both had Wispy Tails (both visible) and the offspring had a spade tail. How does this work?

Mother

-----------------------------

Father

-----------------------------

Offspring

So my question is:
HOW WAS IT POSSIBLE HE GOT A SPADE TAIL?
Cian
Level 75
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 140
Posted: 1/8/2017 at 9:43 AM Post #2
one of the two parent must have spade tail in carry under the wisp tail, if the parents are tested use the advenced shearch to look in their gene. ^-^
Ephemeral
Level 75
Guardian
Threads: 168
Posted: 1/8/2017 at 10:34 AM Post #3
It also may be possible that grandparents had a spade tail, and the gene passed down. (Of the parents aren't first generation)
Lavelle
Level 60
The Majestic
Threads: 77
Posted: 1/8/2017 at 7:25 PM Post #4
Hi Katesta!
So are you familiar with basic genetics - dominant and recessive traits and punnet squares and all that good stuff we learn in school?

The idea being that each parent has a set of two letters for each trait that they combine with the other parent to produce an offspring.

As we can see from "Tiger" and his image code, he has "md1=DD" in the relevant slot (Mutation 1) which is making his Spade Tail visible. This means that he has received a "D" trait from both his parents in the Mutation 1 slot.

Now at this point it's important to note that on Sylestia traits are assigned a letter of the alphabet as they're implemented (or after a species revamp) with A being the oldest trait and then B, then C, and so on. So your guy has a DD, but if we look at his parents we see they have a Wispy Tail which is the C trait, not the D trait! So to answer your question, we look to the codes of his parents -

Momma Luff has md1=CD in the slot, so, that's Wispy Tail on top of Spade tail.
Currently ,it looks like Daddy Luff has md1=CC in the slot - which would be entirely Wispy Tail, and so your confusion makes sense because CD x CC = DD is an odd one to try and wrap your head around...

...until you consider that Daddy Luff has not been genetics tested yet!

So essentially, when tested, his image code will show he is also hiding Spade Tail under his Wispy Tail, making your match "CD x CD = ??" which could have very easily resulted in CC (Wispy Tail) or CD (Wispy Tail visible because it's higher in the alphabet, as seen in parents) but it threw out DD for you, which is visible Spade Tail, as there's no Wispy Tail trait (the C) to hide it.

EDIT: ^The above italicised section is a basic premise of how breeding works, but things are actually a bit more confusing in this particular instance, if you look at Imperium's reply below it was discerned that Daddy Luffox has actually provided a trait that is lower on the gene hierarchy than the "D" trait that "Tiger" inherited from his mother, leading to a visible D trait but meaning "Tiger" will also have a hidden trait.

I hope that helps. LOL.
Edited By Lavelle on 1/8/2017 at 8:32 PM.
Averil1323
Level 16
Threads: 24
Posted: 1/8/2017 at 7:39 PM Post #5
well have you checked there lineage cause
it could be a gene from some one else
in the family such as grandmother or
grandfather. thats all i can think of.
so it may be that or someing else.
you tell me (=^-^=)
Imperium
Level 75
Guardian
Threads: 386
Posted: 1/8/2017 at 8:26 PM Post #6
I think Lavelle pretty much covered everything~
Just wanted to add that daddy Luffox actually has M1:CE , visible wispy tail, hidden lemur tail. You can check by poking around in Fudge's parent tree~ This still results in visible Spade Tail, but baby's M1 will read DE upon testing. This means that if you bred your new Luffox with M1:DE to another Luffox with either a carried or visible Lemur Tail, it's possible to have an offspring with visible lemur tail.
Lavelle
Level 60
The Majestic
Threads: 77
Posted: 1/8/2017 at 8:28 PM Post #7
Good shout Imperium :) I didn't go back in time with the lineage haha.
Katesta101
Level 49
Threads: 17
Posted: 1/9/2017 at 12:36 AM Post #8
Both of you helped a lot, thank you! And I bought a genetic test kit to test Tiger and Tiger had M1:DE haha, so you were spot on Imperium :D And I actually didn't know a lot on those special hidden traits so thank you Lavelle for that too! Thanks soooo much guys.

This Page loaded in 0.010 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.