Flute
Level 70
Enchanted Explorer
Threads: 340
Posted: 8/31/2014 at 12:41 AM Post #1
Written for Yam's End of Summer Pet Camp's Sylesti Story Contest c:

The Griffi, the Aeridini, and the Faerie
Based on The Ant and the Grasshopper (and the Bee) from Aesop's Fables

Once upon a time, when the Viridian Meadows were lush with foliage and fruit, there was a Griffi that was gathering food for the upcoming winters. This Griffi was particularly wary, as he preferred to be prepared well before the autumn frost came along to chill the continent.

The Griffi made daily trips, flying back and forth between his home in the northern icy mountains and the green Viridian Meadows, taking back the fruits he scavenged for. This Griffi did not particularly think much of the activity, but only wanted to be well stocked before all the food disappears by other rummaging Griffis. And maybe avoid hunting during any festivals where pesky Sylestians try to capture his kind.

Nevertheless, one day, while he was gathering berries in the grassy fields near Esior, a playful Aeridini flew by, sipping the nectar of surrounding flowers.

"My, a Griffi during the springtime!" the Aeridini exclaimed. After a sip of one flower, the Aeridini glided towards the Griffi, flying in circles around his neck. "Is it not too warm for you to be out? Won't your wings melt under the sun?"

The Griffi glared at the Aeridini as if it were a pest. "Mind your own business and sip some more flowers, as I am preparing food for the winter."

"Winter?! It's not even fall!" the Aeridini laughed, spinning in circles midair. "Why do you have to gather food so early?? There will be many moons before the snow comes to touch the grassy fields."

The Griffi only turned away to look for more berry bushes in the area. "It does not hurt to be prepared. To work today is to eat tomorrow, especially during the winter when there is no food left."

"Prepared, perhaps, but you probably have enough food to last 10 winters straight," the Aeridini chuckled.

"Leave me be, you plant-with-wings," the Griffi spat, gathering all the berries in his paws, rearing back, and taking flight back to the north for the day.

"You can't even make good nicknames!!" the Aeridini shouted to the Griffi that soared away, but the Griffi wouldn't have any of that.

And day after day during the sunny spring, the Griffi would come back to the meadows to gather different things, from berries, to herbs, to more substantial fruits. And occasionally, he would see the same Aeridini from before, either making cartwheels in the air, encircling flowers and sipping on them, charming other Aeridinis and Sylestians alike, and so on, being as carefree as any dainty flower would be. The Griffi ignored all of this, and only focused on his own hoard of food for the winter.
Flute
Level 70
Enchanted Explorer
Posted: 8/31/2014 at 12:42 AM Post #2
However, as the seasons went by, from spring to autumn, it seemed to have gotten colder much sooner than anticipated. Flowers were at first covered with cold dew, then frosted over. Other Sylestis reacted to this early winter, gathering food earlier (while avoiding trainers' capture).

On one cool day in the winter, the Griffi came out one last time, to scavenge for any last piece of food that he could add to his stash. The field he frequented was empty: the bushels of berries were only frosted leaves and cold branches, the plants were covered in permafrost, and flowers that were vibrant and blooming in the spring were gone for the winter, hiding for the new year.

A familiar Aeridini, the one that was carefree during the springtime, flew to the Griffi as soon as it spotted him.

"It's you!" the Aeridini gasped, a bit distressed. "I know we may have had our differences, but--"

The Griffi shot a disapproving glare at the Aeridini. The Aeridini gulped nervously.

"Is it possible that I can stay with you during the winter? You don't seem like you have company during the winter; we can share the food you have gathered all spring!"

"No." The Griffi turned away from the Aeridini. "I will not share with you what I have worked hard over the seasons for, while you squandered your time doing who-knows-what."

"How can you be so mean?!" the Aeridini cried. "Surely, you cannot finish all that food by yourself, and it is quite bad to be mean to those you meet!"

"I am not obligated to share my food with you. Go find your own hiding place for the winter, you have no home with me."

And with that, the Griffi flew away, leaving the Aeridini sad and distressed by the worries of the rushing winter.
Edited By Flute on 8/31/2014 at 12:45 AM.
Flute
Level 70
Enchanted Explorer
Posted: 8/31/2014 at 12:43 AM Post #3
The early winter came with early blizzards, pushing Sylestis into hiding in their burrows, nests, and caverns. The Griffi took refuge in the north, in his cozy cave full of food.

"Thank goodness I gathered through the spring and fall," the Griffi sighed in relief. He gazed outside, where snow blew sideways and chilled the entrance of his cave. "This should last me for quite awhile."

As he turned around to go deeper into his home, he heard a cry from outside. "Hey! Hey!!"

It was the Aeridini, struggling to fly through the snowstorm. It flopped onto the cave floor, shivering from the cold, wings covered in frost. "H-hey...please let me stay with you, it's really cold out there..."

"Of course it's cold," the Griffi scoffed. "It's winter, and you're in the northern side of continent. Why would a fool fly to the coldest part of the land during the coldest time of the year?"

"Because you're the only person I know that has a home big enough and a store large enough to support other Sylesti!" the Aeridini wailed, coiling up in cold limbs to try and secure warmth. "Please, oh please, let me stay with you."

"Find some other creature to give you homage," the Griffi barked. "I will not help someone who dilly-dallied all spring, playing with flowers when he could have gathered his own food." He turned away, turning his icy wings and tails behind him. "Leave, you have no shelter here."

The Aeridini was truly sorrowed, but braced itself, and flew back into the blizzard in search of a more generous shelter, while the Griffi rested near his store of food.
Flute
Level 70
Enchanted Explorer
Posted: 8/31/2014 at 12:44 AM Post #4
Alas, as days passed, the food that the Griffi stored up did not last long. Most of his food was perishable, and because they have been stored since spring, berries have gone rotten, herbs have dried up, and so on. Whatever was still good in his hoard had a time limit, and the Griffi worried about running out of food before the blizzards stop.

"I worked so hard, only for all my food to go bad," the Griffi bemoaned. "What a shame. I will have to go out in the cold to gathered food soon, whether I like it or not..."

And later, the day came when his stores were depleted. The Griffi was worried, but because of his nature of being used to the cold, he went out with no fear of freezing in the cold weather.

But no food could be found. The fields were blanketed with snow and bushes and trees did not bear fruit of any sort. The Griffi feared that whatever food that was blatantly out and about in the field was just bait, as it WAS Griffi-hunting season.

Nevertheless, the Griffi was worried, as there was no food left to gather (unless he wanted to be captured...and stable food isn't exactly the best diet). He flew close to the grounds, then through the trees of Umbra Forest, trying to look for whatever food the forest could provide for wild Sylesti.

"No food, no food, no food..." the Griffi muttered to himself, looking left and right for a sign of anything edible. He wondered if his fate would be much like the Aeridini's, to have to look for another creature to provide food for the winter. "It is not fair, I worked harder and longer than that winged-plant..." The Griffi shook his head. "I must keep looking for something to eat."

While he could not find food, the Griffi saw a light within the trees. As he flew closer, he saw it was a lantern, next to a door, at the base of a tree. The home of a Sylestian, perhaps. Near the home was the smell of something hearty and warm, as if it signified security and comfort behind the door. The closer he got, the warmer he felt.

"This must be a Sylestian's home," the Griffi thought to himself. He landed on the ground, next to the home. He walked closer to a window, which also emitted warmth and light from within. "I shall stay outside, where it is safe, so I don't bring attention."

He couldn't help but look inside. The inside of the homely tree was actually quite quaint, with wood flooring and wooden furniture and a fireplace. Above the fireplace was a pot, steaming, which must have been the source of the scent of food.

But what was also inside that caught his eye was a familiar green Aeridini, sleeping under a blanket close to the fire.

"What is that Aeridini doing there?" the Griffi asked himself. "Did he really find shelter here?"

"Hello? Who's there?"

The Griffi was startled, backing away and stretching out his wings for flight. From the outside forest came a faerie, tugging along a sled of firewood and branches. The faerie was surprised to see a Griffi in the forest.

"Are you lost?" the faerie asked.

"No," the Griffi answered, calmly folding down his wings. "I was just passing by."

"Ah, I see!"
The faerie immediately smiled. "Would you like to stop by for dinner? I'm making vegetable soup! Very warm for the cold winter nights. You can even stay the night, I think the blizzard will get worse later tonight."

"I shouldn't bother you,"
the Griffi said, looking away. "I'm fine on my own."

"Oh, you should at least help me with the firewood..."
the faerie trailed off in her own words, trying to tug the sled into her home. It seemed like she was having trouble pulling all the wood in.

"...I'll help you, then I'll leave," the Griffi muttered, and went to help the faerie.

---

"That should be it!" the faerie said happily. The Griffi and the faerie both were inside, the griffi putting firewood under the fire, while the faerie stirred the soup in the pot. "You really should stay for dinner."

"Oh, I shouldn't,"
the Griffi replied modestly.

"Oh, you should!" The faerie winked. "You'll love my veggie soup. It should be really good!"

"Well..."
The Griffi's stomach grumbled a little. "If there is enough, I'll take whatever you wish to give."

"Yay!"
The faerie pranced off to a cupboard and came back with several bowls, and started filling them with soup from the pot. Once she did, she put one bowl for the Griffi on the ground. "Enjoy! Tell me what you think of it!"

The Griffi sat down behind the bowl and bowed his head to sip the soup. The flavors of well-seasoned vegetables and herbs, along with the warmth of the soup, satisfied the insides of his mouth and stomach. "This is really good!" he exclaimed.

"My mother and sisters are all great cooks. I guess it runs in the family!"
the faerie giggled. She set down a bowl next to the sleeping Aeridini, and sat at a nearby table with her own bowl to eat.

The Griffi and the faerie two ate together, while the Aeridini was still fast asleep. Idle chit-chat was exchanged over dinner, a comforting experience that was definitely better than the party of one at the Griffi's cave.

"Say," the Griffi said after awhile, sitting next to his bowl. "That Aeridini, did you let him stay here?"

"Oh, him?"
The faerie looked over to the sleeping Aeridini, who was still sleeping soundly under the blanket. "Yeah, he seemed really cold and exhausted when he stumbled upon my door, so I let him stay here. He's been mainly sleeping and eating, but his company is enjoyable!"

"I...I see."
The Griffi narrowed his eyes, and laid his head down too. "Don't you think that he's useless because he just sleeps and eats all the time?"

The faerie giggled. "Do you know him or something?"

"N-no, I'm just asking."

"Ah, well..."
The faerie stood up and picked up her bowl and the Griffi's bowl. "I'm sure if he could help out, and wanted to, he would. I wouldn't force him to pay me back for letting him stay."

"Why?"
The Griffi was puzzled at this. "It takes a lot of work to get all the firewood and food for a night, much less a whole season of nights."

The faerie shrugged, but smiled. "I guess that's what they call generosity. To be kind to anyone, despite their faults, and sharing what one has with one another. If I was in need of a home, I figure I'd want to be the kind of person I'd go to for a home and food. Plus, I make great food, and cooks probably want to share their talents with company as well!"

The Griffi pondered this sort of thinking. "Generosity? Sharing? Is it worth it?"

"Well, it depends for many people."
The faerie got a second blanket and walked towards the Griffi. "But for me, it makes me happy that I can help both Sylesti and people. Seeing them happy makes me happy. No one has to be alone in this world. And being together makes everything better!"

Before the Griffi could react, the faerie draped the blanket over him. The Griffi had a feeling that rejecting the gesture of kindness would be rude, so he sat with the blanket over him, and laid his head on his paws.

"You're welcome to stay for the night. I'm sure the Aeridini would love to see some more company when he wakes up!"

"Yeah, I'd bet,"
the Griffi chuckled to himself. "Thank you for your kindness tonight, miss."

"It's no problem. I'm happy I could share my home with you, and glad that you could spend time with me!"

The Griffi smiled, mainly because the faerie smiled at him. She walked away to get ready for bed.

The Griffi stared over at the Aeridini, still sleeping soundly by the fire. He could see a slight smile, one of relief and comfort, as the Aeridini breathed in his sleep. The Griffi thought of practicing generosity, perhaps starting with the Aeridini, to make amends for his coarseness before.

While one should be well prepared, it does not hurt to share with others your provisions. Being kind to others and sharing what one has with one another enrich the lives of both givers and receivers.
Edited By Flute on 8/31/2014 at 1:01 AM.

This Page loaded in 0.010 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.