Page 1 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Threads: 113
Posted: 10/8/2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1
Current status: Still looking

I need to practice writing more, so I guess we're doing this now lol. For other writers, this is a perfect opportunity to practice too!! (Please I just need an rp partner ;-;)

This is going to be literate, although there is no expectation to write a full book in one post. A few detailed paragraphs is a must, though, with proper (readable) grammar and enough action for the other person to continue off of. You'll be expected to advance the plot, develop the characters, and reveal the world around them. You should also ideally be able to handle multiple actions per post - so we can get more writing done each turn ^-^

As far as posting frequency goes, I'm not too worried (this is just writing practice, after all). I'd say at least once every two weeks or so, though if inspiration strikes we can always post sooner. Quality over quantity, though!

I'd prefer it if the person I rp with has experience in rp and writing in general, so if you're interested, ping me and include a sample of your work. RPs are preferred, but if you don't have those you could always show me some other writing you've done.

I'm open to any plot ideas, so feel free to suggest any! Otherwise, here are some I'm thinking of:

- - - - -

Meritti, the city by the sea.

The child of royalty, devoted to the kingdom with every fibre of their being, persists even if the people around them insist that they don't need to get their hands dirty. They have snuck out of the castle to help the commoners many times, and this time, it's to investigate a string of mysterious disappearances by the docks.

The pirate king, opportunistic, charming, and always looking for ways to expand their fortune and grow their influence over the seas, just happens to be passing by. A stray rumour of a valuable personage coming so close to their territory... they can't help but be intruiged.

Some trickery and a kidnapping later, the ransom letter is about to be sent.

Then the castle goes up in flames - the blaze turns the harbour waters red in their light. Enemies have arrived, seemingly out of thin air, and the birds of war and death descend upon the city. The very fate of the kingdom and everyone in it is suspended on silk thin strands.

Apres moi, le deluge.

- - - - -

Life is as expected, boring and mundane. Constant.

Until it isn't.

Around the world, few people begin hearing voices - not the hallucinatory kind. These voices claim to be 'players', having found some way to actually connect to their 'characters'. At the same time, these people begin to develop strange powers - bending metal, defying gravity, energy manipulation.

Now, they are on the run, hiding from vicious glitch monsters that call themselves collectively 'the anticheat'. The world begins to fall into turmoil as rules and laws that should be absolute start to unravel.

Ready, set, go.

- - - - -

And yeah, I guess that's all for what I want to say! I haven't rped in a long time so I'll probably be rusty for the first post or two, but I trust I'll get better. If anyone wants a sample of my rp abilities, let me know and I will PM you something from a while ago! My rp writing is different from my rpg narrating/playing, so don't take that as a baseline, although it is similar enough.
Edited By Aphelion on 11/15/2021 at 3:30 AM.
Lotusdragon
Level 60
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 2
Posted: 10/8/2021 at 2:03 PM Post #2
I'd be interested in your second idea if you're interested ^^. I'm not the best rper out there, but I think I do pretty well and I think I've gotten better.
Uncannyclownery
Level 28
Threads: 17
Posted: 10/8/2021 at 3:12 PM Post #3
I am so very up for the first prompt! I'm a bit bored myself and was kind of looking around for a good roleplay to join while I try and get mine ready! Anyway, I'll give you some standards/quirks of mine, so we'll be on the same page! I also love your username.

My Standards/Quirks:
- I won't accept any homophobia, transphobia, or racism unless it's in roleplay/character.
- I tend to have masculine characters for my comfort.
- I won't do any NSFW, only fade to black.
- I prefer to do more chaotic characters because it's easier to stay in character.
- Forgive me if I don't immediately reply, I can get really busy because I'm still in school.

Two Writing Examples:

My most recent roleplay response: (It isn't my best)

"Casey looked a bit taken aback. "You really think it's safe to actually fight that thing? We don't have any armor or weapons- There's even a kid who could get caught in the crossfire.", He interjected, he didn't have a better plan, but it would be better than putting everyone else in danger."

Actual writing sample: (Trigger Warning for a little bit of horror)

Then candles burst into tall flames one by one, brightening the room with their towers of fire. His blood ran cold and black ooze began pouring from his nose and mouth. It smelt and tasted horrible like he was forced to eat rotten flesh. Pain ripped through his body, he felt as if he was being scraped out from the inside. But as soon as the foul-tasting ooze came it stopped, leaving him hunched over in the chair he was strapped to, gagging violently. It was a painful minute of dry vomiting before the pool began to bubble.

Most Recent Character Example: (You don't have to read I just thought to add it so you'd know what you're working with-)

Appearance:
Craft stands at 5' 6" with a rather dense/stalky frame. He has brown, freckled skin from years in the South Western Vergoth Dunes, his face is square with a cleft chin and dark, thick eyebrows. He has rusty brown hair, cut into a fluffy wolf-cut, the longer hair busheled into a small ponytail. Craft has deep green eyes, squinted from the bright desert. His ears are long and pointed, one of which is torn. There is a small nick on his chin and a healing scar on his arm. He wears three golden earrings on one ear and two on the other, signifying his close friendships.
A representation of his usual dress + a breastplate:

Name:
Craft Olm

Nickname:
Crafty (By his family)

Pronouns:
He/Him

Sexuality:
Asexual, Biromantic

Species:
He's really just a mutt, but there's definitely Human and Elf in there.

Patron Deity:
Kanesh

Gift from Deity:
He can absorb damage and turn it into energy. (He still gets hurt, it just also gives him a boost.)

Equipment:
> He as a satchel of canned food.
> Sand-Goggles.
> Rifle (For long-distance issues.)
> A bedroll.
> One other change of clothes.
> A knife.

Personality:
Craft is a hardy person, used to the nomadic lifestyle, so he's conditioned not to get attached to most things. He's extremely loving and loyal to what he does have, though. Craft is not one to step away from a fight, even if it's bigger than him. He's extremely hard-headed, and a man of his word, he will not rest until he can fulfill a promise. Craft is also an optimist and tries to keep his eyes on the light of a situation, as not to get stuck on something and become a weak link. Craft does like to keep from being vulnerable around strangers, keeping wary until he can safely determine that they aren't a threat. Craft is also the king of satire, often heckling and teasing others; he usually won't go far enough to be considered outright rude, but it's his nature from being in a massive family.

+ Dry warmth/ feeling the sun on his back.
+ Wide open spaces.
+ Dried Meat.
+ Spicy food.
+ Being around some sort of familial group at all times.

Dislikes:
- Staying in one spot for too long.
- Dense forests. (Basically, too many trees will freak him out.)
- Big cities.
- Bland food.
- Sudden movement near him.

Strengths:
+ Craft is an excellent tracker/navigator due to being born into a small group of nomads.
+ He has an excellent aim.
+ He's able to detach himself from things easily.
+ He's used to oppressing heat, and can quite actually thrive in it.
+ Craft's body has adapted to storing energy, so he can go a little while, longer than most, without food.

Weaknesses:
- He's extremely claustrophobic.
- Craft can occasionally underestimate others.
- Forgets to take care of himself from time to time.
- He can barely handle the cold/overtly moist climates.
- He's not too good by himself, as he's used to being in a large group.

Backstory:
Craft was born to a large, nomadic family of soon-to-be fifteen on the far western end of the Vergothian Desert. For most of the year, his family was his only company. Occasionally, they would pass through outposts to auction off life stalk/other products made from/by the animals. It was always exciting to visit these places, he even had friends who lived there, and they often caught up with each other during his visits. (He's always wanted to introduce all of his friends to each other. Though, even when they pass by Sorenth, they rarely went in. Though, one day, when they set up camp nearby the "Great City of Gold", Craft snuck away to see it for himself. At first, he found it to be a new, exciting experience, and then he got lost in a dingier part of it. He found himself getting claustrophobic, thinking that the city walls were going to close in on him. Then the worse part happened, he was found vulnerable, so he got mugged. He lost a chunk of his ear, got nicked on the face and chest, as well as losing his coin pouch. Ever since then he's been terrified of the city.

Love Interest:
None, open!

Family:
Grandmother, Noella Olm, 76
Grandfather, Ernest Olm, 74
(Mom's side) Grandmother, Agatha Suncrawler, 68
Mother, Lucilla Olm, 48
Father, Haggis Olm, 50
Older sister, Mina Olm, 25
Older brother, Mac Olm, 25
Younger sibling, Summer Olm, 17
Youngest sister, Victoria Olm, 15
Aunt, Marianne Olm, 51
Uncle, Sandy Olm, 49
Cousin (f), Cecelia Olm, 21
Cousin (m), Jackal Olm, 18
Family friend, Jane Mortette, 46
Family friend's wife, Annabell Mortette, 47

Theme:
Vulture Culture by Fangclub
Mother Nature's Son by The Beatles

Voice Claim:
2D from Gorillaz

Other:
N/A

Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Posted: 10/9/2021 at 11:15 AM Post #4
Hello!

Do you have longer writing samples? While there's nothing wrong with what you've shown, they are at most semi-lit in complexity. Also, the rp sample you included was actually from an rpg ^-^ Rpgs tend to limit your writing so they're a bit different from rps - I just want to know how you describe environments, do characterisation, and worldbuild when you have free reign.

And don't worry about character sheets. We won't be doing those. We will introduce and expand on our characters through writing.

If you would like, I could send you a sample of my rping?
Uncannyclownery
Level 28
Threads: 17
Posted: 10/9/2021 at 1:31 PM Post #5
Oh, of course! It's been a while since I've had a good roleplay response, but I can whip something good up! And I would very much enjoy a writing example as well!

Cries of a great snowbird sounded in the distance as he pushed through the blizzard, it was barely audible over the rushing wind that tried to shove him back into the snow. A satchel of letters, heavy on his back, weighed him down. His horse had collapsed a few meters behind him. He was only guessing it was fully covered by now.

His jacket didn't seem to do much against the cold, the build-up of snow was beginning to seep through into his skin. He took a weak and shaky breath, fighting to keep it as the wind tried to sweep it away. The man was sure he was going to freeze before morning, but he had to deliver, it was his job. He could barely see where he was going through the harsh storm, on top of that his eyes felt like they were freezing shut. He reached up a gloved hand to brush the ice crystals away, only getting more snow in his eye. He blinked hard, trying to melt it off. His face was too cold, so he had to take off his glove. When he did, it was swept away. The man sighed in defeat but pushed on.

Eventually, the snow got to him, and he fell to his knees, exhaustion washing over him. When he fell, he spotted something; it was just barely visible behind the sheets of endless snow. A faint glow, from what he guessed was a cave. The mailman suddenly felt lighter as relief washed over him. He scrambled to his feet and almost started running towards it. Every step he took, the more he could feel the heat of the fire crackling inside.

The excitement made the satchel of letters feel like nothing as he swiftly treads to the light. It was almost unnatural, but the hope had pushed the feeling aside for the time being. He couldn't wait to bring this event back home to his wife. He loved telling her tales of his misadventures, he already had a few notes for her tucked safely away in his pocket.

He only thought about her until he got to the cave, thinking about what he'd write in his notes. The warm glow of the fire inside only reminded him of her and the warm glow of her smile. When he got inside, all he saw was the fire and a few sleeping bags. Sitting up in one of the bags was his brother, Henry... His dead brother, Henry. The whole cave felt familiar, now. This was the cave he and Henry first camped in when they were boys. Only when he heard his brother say "Long time no see, Cassidy", he knew he had passed away.

For some reason, he wasn't sad, he was relieved. Cassidy gave his big brother a big smile and dropped the baggage at the cave entrance. When he went to sit by Henry he felt young again.
Nectoskool
Level 55
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 4
Posted: 10/24/2021 at 1:20 AM Post #6
Grammar? That's second nature to me, but I do sometimes do typos and lack of punctuation for comedic moments, for example

CRESS: Can we keep him? He's so fluffy!
ARKANA: No, Cress, we can't keep him.
CRESS: But hes black!
CRESS: wait
(^-- based on true events of a dnd session lol)

Paragraphs are a bit tricky for me, however. For now, my smooth brain can't come up with enough content for a whole paragraph.
Ha! And I claim to be a future game designer, lmao get rekt scrub necto

Anyway, I'll try paragraphs? No promises though.
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Posted: 10/24/2021 at 3:44 AM Post #7
Don't worry too much about grammar, that's the lesser of the requirements; it's probably difficult for everyone to keep perfect grammar all the time, so as long as it's readable and looks like good grammar, who cares right lol

I did say this was a literate rp request, so while paragraphs are not the requirement, content is, and if there is a lot of content there tends to be paragraphs for said content to fit into. But that's all very abstract, so how about you send me a sample of your roleplaying? If you don't think you have an rp good enough to display your skill, you could always send me a sample of your writing.
Edited By Aphelion on 10/24/2021 at 3:45 AM.
Nectoskool
Level 55
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 10/24/2021 at 11:20 AM Post #8
i've never done much writing before, lmao, and my brain is the size of a walnut
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Posted: 10/24/2021 at 12:04 PM Post #9
Then unfortunately, I must have to decline your offer to rp. I hope you find another good partner, though!
Nectoskool
Level 55
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 10/24/2021 at 12:06 PM Post #10
Worth a shot.

Good luck to you, too! ^-^
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.