Players 2,533 428
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,205,930 810
Generated 653,745 96
Captured 1,186,876 59
Bred 6,365,217 655
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > General Discussion > Why I'm Not Hosting Design Contests...
Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Fox
Level 75
Master Sylestiologist
Threads: 398
Posted: 2/4/2021 at 5:04 PM Post #1
So today I received a private message claiming someone told them their design had been stolen.

The design in question is a ny'vene from one of my contests, submitted by another user.

Unfortunately the person claiming design theft only has an updated design on the generator, which was posted long after my contest ended. So now I need to investigate to see whether or not they are the original designer or if they simply grabbed one of the winning designs, threw it in the generator, and are now claiming design theft.

I'm not naming names. This has happened to my contests too many times now.

But this means I am no longer hosting design contests. I gave away millions in gold and prizes, but thieves have ruined the opportunity for everyone else.

I'm not hosting design contests anymore because:
1. Design theft sucks.
2. Investigating the theft sucks.
3. People are too afraid to post their designs anymore because of all the thievery. This results in little to no entries no matter what the prizes are.
4. I don't trust y'all anymore.

I know there isn't a way to prevent it or make it a rule or anything like that, it's just such a scummy thing to do. Some people just don't have any morals I suppose.

That's why I'm not hosting design contests anymore. I doubt I'll be entering any either. Thieves can hang their heads in shame. Can't profit off of me anymore. \o/
Articu
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 146
Posted: 2/4/2021 at 5:31 PM Post #2
that's a shame, fox. i didn't always participate but i did like seeing the entries and joining in when i did. i'm sorry to see you make this choice, but i can't blame you. it's happened to myself :/
Mikazukichan
Level 75
The Artistic
Threads: 313
Posted: 2/4/2021 at 10:42 PM Post #3
It sucks that the few ruin it for the many, but I definitely understand. This past theme design contest I saw one of my designs submitted by someone else. Really made me angry, but the rules say not to do anything and to trust Krin and Fai to recognize that a design is stolen, so I didn't do anything except note who it was for myself, and the design was not chosen, to my relief. But I've had so many designs stolen at this point, I don't dare post any new ones to the public generator, and I don't dare take down old ones that are already on the public generator so I can 'prove' that it was my design first >.< (which leads to those designs being taken again, and again, and again *sigh*)

It feels like there's just no good solution. Design contests are lots of fun, but the stress of worrying someone will steal designs that are submitted, or someone will submit a stolen design.... it takes all the fun out of it v.v I'm definitely sorry to see your design contests go, but I absolutely understand and sympathize with why you've chosen to discontinue them *hugs tight*
Fox
Level 75
Master Sylestiologist
Posted: 2/4/2021 at 11:58 PM Post #4
Thanks Arti. Yeah I'm just tired of it. Thought I should make a thread about what happened because I think people should be aware that it's still a problem on the site. Also I just needed to vent a bit. -.-
Fox
Level 75
Master Sylestiologist
Posted: 2/4/2021 at 11:58 PM Post #5
I'm sorry your awesome designs are constantly being stolen. It's one of the reasons why I've lost motivation to submit anything for festivals anymore.

The only solution I really see is asking people to submit their designs through private messages, but that only prevents people from seeing your submitted designs... it doesn't stop people from entering stolen ones. -.-

So the true solution is just don't hold those contests anymore. :/ Really sucks the fun out of hosting games.
Vineyiea
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Threads: 187
Posted: 2/8/2021 at 12:58 PM Post #6
I'm sorry this has happened Fox-I enjoyed entering some of your contests, and buying some of the resulting offspring of chosen designs. I do agree that design theft is starting to happen way too often, especially as lots more new players are joining. Sylestia is growing to the point where it's hard to be able to be sure of who designed certain designs if someone steals one. I know that I've been entering contests less because of this, and I'm not hosting any either. I also don't even trust posting designs I do for criticism for theme designs, or to put any design on the public generator. There are just too many people that don't have any morals with that.
Fox
Level 75
Master Sylestiologist
Posted: 2/8/2021 at 1:13 PM Post #7
I still have so many regen ny'venes to go through too.

I really miss the days where you didn't even think twice about posting your designs and projects. >_<

This Page loaded in 0.009 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.