Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Roleplaying > [ FL/GHT ] - Private HTTYD
Page 2 1, 2, 3... 21, 22, 23 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Jie
Level 72
Threads: 22
Posted: 8/3/2023 at 10:59 PM Post #11
To have a leader show such blatant distaste toward one of his people leaves a sour taste in Kavaratti's mouth. A leader is someone to be trusted and relied on. For one to outcast one of his own is a sign of trouble, though he has yet to decide on the wrongdoer: the man, the girl. Perhaps the girl is a misfit or a maverick, or perhaps she simply fails to show signs of excellence. As it is, he doesn't know the reason nor the root, so he steps carefully, eyes sharp for a sign of conflict.

Still doubts don't prevent him from replying, "Thank you for your hospitality." To do otherwise would be rude, and in front of a man as stoic as this one? No, the hunter doubts that even the most impolite of men would leave with anything but a thanks, and his mother raised him to be anything but.

Though manners also imply leaving others' dirty laundry undisturbed. Kavaratti's on the fence about that one; maybe he'll step in, maybe he won't. It depends on the speed of the repairmen, the actions of the coming storms, and whatever else is uncovered during his time here. Because, yes, the hunter fixes sheep gone missing and gives advice clam digging, but mending relationships gone wrong? Unwise, unlikely, and unrealistic.

That doesn't mean that he won't answer the girl's questions though. He slips into the storyteller's tone that he saves for his dragon-slaying tales, body alight and alive with movement.

"Oh, I know quite a few," Kavaratti starts. "I don't believe that my listing them all would be conductive to a full night's rest." After all, he's had years of training. It'd be strange if he didn't know tens upon tens of them. The dragon hunters have tomes dedicated to their knowledge, and maps scribbled full of the best places to test that knowledge. Still, despite those resources, he's yet to encounter a Night Fury.

Though, speaking of those that he has encountered: "But, I can compromise and name the ones that I have the most experience with," Kavaratti says. "Whispering Deaths and Changewings top that list." Which, at first glance, doesn't seem to make sense. Those are uncommon species after all.

So he explains. "People are hardy. They can take care of the ones that you've listed, minus that Fury. I imagine your village goes through several a year; you all seem like strong folk. The strange ones that are hard to take care of, that's where I come in. Hard to flush out tunnelers or fight something you can't see."
Dragonsrcool54
Level 56
The Perfectionist
Threads: 75
Posted: 8/4/2023 at 9:04 AM Post #12
The chief let out a growl akin to a tigers. *several a year? Boy, you really arent from around here. We get raided practically weekly, and killing dragons is incredibly difficult. The devils have their fire and claws, and she keeps blowing buildings up and freeeing dragons instead of staying it the blacksmiths forge or the house.*

The girl winced and murmured, *I just want to help. The machines I make just backfire, and oftentimes when you yell at me about staring inside, the house is on fire or under attack. And I dont mean to free the dragons! It just happe-*

The man spun around and, to Kavarattis shock, BACKHANDED the girl to the floor. *shut it! Now, get our guest some food and supplies. GO!*

The girl shakily rose with a bloody nose, nodded, and ran off. People laughed and insulted her as she ran. Especially a bunch of teenagers, who sneakily jogged after her.

Ok. Now the trapper can tell whos the bad guy here. And its not the girl.
Jie
Level 72
Posted: 8/6/2023 at 8:23 PM Post #13
That's a lot. Even if the Vikings only took down one dragon in each raid, they'd have more kills than him: a dragon hunter who devotes every day of the year to his craft. And that's with a conservative estimate. Dragons don't just leave. Unless they're truly threatened, they hunt and slaughter and devour until there's nothing left like a swarm of lotus, and to threaten a dragon? To threaten a horde of them?

Kavaratti doesn't bother hiding the surprise on his face. The people here have earned it. "The fact that your village is still standing," he starts, just to leave the sentence unfinished and glance around at the warriors surrounding him, respect shining clear in his eyes. His lips curve. "You people are something."

Still, this changes things. As someone with a healthy fear of death, he prefers to hunt on his terms, targeting solitary marks with plenty of preparation. Here, he'll have to make do with a good vantage point that protects his back and won't collapse at the first sign of flame. Finding one close to the inn will have to be his first priority.

Kavaratti preoccupies himself with evaluating the buildings they come across and lets the party's quiet conversation wash over him, pausing only as the chief and his daughter begin an argument. It's strange to see such estranged kin. He doesn't like it. On one hand, conducting volatile experiments inside? Very, very unwise. On the other, not leaving noncombatants inside of that nice, sturdy stone hall that he sees? Equally unwise, and much more upsetting, especially when that somehow becomes the girl's fault.

He'll put in a suggestion once he can get a private audience with the chief; it wouldn't do to upset the line of command in such a tense situation. The man needs every drop of respect he can get to keep the people organized during attacks.

And then, respect isn't an issue any more. The girl collapses the dirt and shudders, only to quietly pick herself up and scurry away with derision hot on her heels.

Face blank and shoulders set, Kavaratti turns. "Are you going to let them haze her?" he asks, voice soft. Open, almost curious, and certainly not challenging.
Dragonsrcool54
Level 56
The Perfectionist
Posted: 8/6/2023 at 8:42 PM Post #14
The man frowned at Kavaratti, his firm and prominent scowl deepening as he stared. *. . . She may be my daughter, but she is nothing but a burden around the village. Letting farm animals loose, destroying buildings, making inventions that blow up needed items! She almost blew up the forge, for Thors sake! She has the title of Useless, and it shall remain that way until she proves herself.*

A person yelled, *like she ever will!*

The man glanced at the person, and nodded, not even arguing. *now. I have buisness to attend to. Good day.* he said, walking off.

The girl shakily returned, somehow looking worse. Shes got bruises on her arms and has a prominent limp. She is holding a large basket of supplies, and passes them to Kavaratti. *here.* she mumbled, before yelping as she fell.

The group of teens from before laughed, having pushed her.
Jie
Level 72
Posted: 8/8/2023 at 9:48 PM Post #15
Something disapproving simmers under Kavaratti's skin at the admission. Because, yes, in a village that thrives on the edge like this one? Threatening food security and consuming resources that are needed to fix dragon-damaged buildings is an issue. But this, this seems to have been going on for years.

The notion of calling a teenager useless and assuming that it'll push her to improve astounds Kavaratti. What type of parent lets others ostracize their child instead of stepping in to offer their support? What type of leader ignores such a glaring issue and expects it to solve itself? In a situation where everyone sinks or swims together, he'd be hard-pressed to think of a worst solution.

Still, indignation aside, he bows his head and sends the chief off with a respectful farewell. He's not going to expect an outsider's opinion to not exasperate the problem, much less solve it.

That's not to say that he's going to ignore it.

Arms preoccupied with the basket, he misses the opportunity to stop the shove or to catch the girl. Instead, he's forced to settle for shifting his grip and offering her a hand up.

As she stands, he angles himself a little behind the girl and to the side, supportive but not defensive. Because the girl doesn't need someone to stand up to her demons, she needs someone that enables her to do it herself. Otherwise, this will just continue after he's left.

Still. He's not going to let this happen.

"I'm afraid that I'm new to the island," Kavaratti begins. Turning towards the girl, he nods, says, "And," pausing to leave a blank for her to inject her name before continuing, "has offered to help me around."

"While I'd love to make your acquaintance, I'm a bit tired after wrestling my ship to shore in the storm, so we're planning on heading to the inn. Still, I'm sure we'll have time to make introductions later, especially since I'll be following your friend around for the next few days."

Now that they're excused, he smiles, bland and picturesque, before inclining his head towards the girl in a request to leave.
Dragonsrcool54
Level 56
The Perfectionist
Posted: 8/8/2023 at 10:10 PM Post #16
People smirked at Alexis as they left, amused at her torment

Alexis looked at him and nodded before walking off, giving him a tour of the island. She looked at him quietly, curious. *. . . Im Alexis. If you dont mind my asking, where do you come from?*

(Sorry for the short prompt, Im tired. Also, my prompts are gonna be shorter from now on, life IRL is hitting the fan and its not fun, making me always busy)
Jie
Level 72
Posted: 8/9/2023 at 11:03 PM Post #17
(No worries, make your responses as long as you like and take care of yourself IRL! Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk about it, or if you'd just like someone to talk to. Say the word, and I'll toss some headcanons/stories your way so we can talk about something fun together. ^^ The Screaming Death was my favorite dragon, so I have fun ideas about taming it and other Whispering ones!)

-- -- --

Rain pours down as they explore. He's the the type of wet that feels like his whole body is soaked, water seeping down until its made a home in his bones. Kavaratti finds that he doesn't mind it, the threat of an encroaching chill aside.

After all, "I was born on Alohilani. It's a tiny island; I spent more time on the shore than I did on solid land." He pauses, eyes softening. "If you're wondering about family and friends though, the dragon hunters are as much of a home to me as my birthplace."

How can they not be? His mentors were the ones who taught him to survive, and the ones who waited by his bedside when he was injured during hunts. They were the ones who sighed but pulled a lonely, red-eyed boy into their arms when he was homesick.

And if Alexis doesn't have anyone who's willing to do that for her, then he'll be there for her, because everyone should have someone who cares. He'll look over her plans and inventions, keep her and her surroundings safe, be there to talk to her if she needs it. He'll be her mentor.

But for now, Kavaratti brushes wet bangs towards the side and says, "Let's head over towards the inn. It's dangerous to stay in the rain too long." Wearing drenched clothes for is just asking to catch a cold, and he'd rather not spend his time here ill.

Still, he'll try not to leave Alexis alone and open to further harassment this evening. If she isn't showing him around, then perhaps, "Would you like to have dinner with me once we arrive?"

He extends the basket to punctuate the offer, sending the food inside shifting and rolling, accompanied by the faint aroma of bread and fish.
Dragonsrcool54
Level 56
The Perfectionist
Posted: 8/10/2023 at 12:24 AM Post #18
(Thanks for the offer! And good to know. Its nothing bad going on IRL, its just a lot at once.)

Alexis listened to him quiety, and when he offered dinner with her, she hesitated and was about to say no until she smell the food in the basket. After a moment, Ashe nodded slowly. *I suppose so.* she said with a small smile.

And then she fell down with a cry as the group of teenagers laughed from shoving her down again before running off. Jerks.
Jie
Level 72
Posted: 8/12/2023 at 3:45 PM Post #19
(I see, good luck with that then! I'm only going to be able to reply on weekends in the future, but don't worry, I'm still very much interested! :D Also, the furs at the beginning refer to whatever Alexis is wearing, please imagine it being something else if I'm assuming wrong.)

-- -- --

Calloused hands catch against wet fur, and leather boots slide through slick mud. Kavaratti backpedals to regain his balance, his palms pressed against Alexis's shoulders, and glances down. The remnant of her smile is gone, and he feels something regretful well at the realization. No one should have to be so nervous, so worried, so fearful.

"Sorry about that," he murmurs, letting his hands drop to the side. "I hope you're all right?"

With her confirmation, he scans their surroundings for the teenagers. It's hard to see signs of anyone tailing them in the stormy weather with the rain obscuring his sight, but the laughter is a different story. Fairly close then.

And since his presence doesn't seem to be enough of a deterrent, he'll have to be a little more clear about his message this time. It's time to make his position clear, seeing how he's planning on helping Alexis with her malfunction accidents anyways.

He stalks forward, shoving a hand against one of the teens. The boy--because if he wants to act like a child, then Kavaratti is happy to treat him as one--swats at his arm with an annoyed scoff, and the hunter lets it fall to the side as he crowds in.

"If you want to start something, then I'm glad to oblige," he says, "so why don't you tell me why you're butting into my business?"

There's the beginning of a whisper, and Kavaratti is reminded of his status as an outsider. Maybe this isn't the way people handle things around here. Maybe he's getting too physical.

But Kavaratti never learned any other solutions. He's a sojourner, he's spent three months home in the past decade, and he doesn't fit. Not here, where everyone was born and raised together, and not anywhere. So he slips into his status as a hunter, the one piece that does belong somewhere, and draws from his experience as a trainee.

He draws himself taller and readies himself for a fight, many against one; verbal or physical, pranks or a fists.
Dragonsrcool54
Level 56
The Perfectionist
Posted: 8/12/2023 at 4:12 PM Post #20
(You got it right)

The teenager looked at him and laughed. *because your an outsider! You dont belong here! And shes Useless!*

Other teens joined in e laughter.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3... 21, 22, 23
This Page loaded in 0.013 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.