Forum Index > Breeding Discussion > Design Feedback Needed
Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Windsofwinter
Level 65
Master Egg Hunter
Threads: 31
Posted: 4/16/2024 at 12:28 PM Post #1
Update: Thank you everyone who helped with my Vy'vene pair, I'm so much happier with the new version! My next theme is a Milky Way/Galaxy Aurleon but I'm having a lot of trouble with the M2 color.

Currently M2 and C2 are the same color which looks bad for the Phoenix Armor gene, but nice on everything else. When I change M2 to a dark blue or any other color Phoenix Armor looks really nice but all of the other M2 traits look worse (in my opinion). Suggestions?

4 options with the current color scheme (M2 and C2 the same):

Old Post
Hello! I'm trying to design a Ny'vene theme for the spring festival. The inspiration is Enchanted Forest/Spring Forest Guardian.

I'm really happy with the female I designed but I can't seem to find a good trait combo for the male. I don't know if I'm struggling because the colors aren't a good theme or if I just don't like Ny'venes.

Here are the two designs I have currently. I would love some advice on how I can rework the male, preferably with 2-3 traits.

Edited By Windsofwinter on 4/24/2024 at 7:05 PM.
Frostfal
Level 75
Cutely Creative
Threads: 53
Posted: 4/16/2024 at 8:42 PM Post #2
Hey! I played around with it in the generator, and this is what I came up with (I'm not sure what to think of it, honestly)
Also, just a little friendly reminder that you can only submit one design for each species for the Spring Fest Themed Pet design :)

Drachi
Level 75
Cutely Creative
Threads: 67
Posted: 4/16/2024 at 9:22 PM Post #3
(I have not had one of my designs turned into an official theme yet so feel free to ignore if you'd like.)

I want to start by saying, I think you have been improving. It's not desaturated which is a good thing. You are on the right path!

I feel like this design feels a little flat for lack of a better term. This could happen because you are using too similar colors in multiple slots. Or it could be happing because the values of the colors are too similar.

For the theme design contests you want a design that works well with all the traits, which I admit can be difficult. If you're having trouble finding a good trait combination that means your design needs work. I'll add some useful tools I use for my designs. I'll also add a video for some basic color theory.

Color pallet generators:
https://coolors.co/

http://colormind.io/

https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel

Video on Color Theory:
https://youtu.be/AvgCkHrcj90?si=5iy7kcVSsf2kJbjG

If you would like me to go in depth and analyze your design more thoroughly I'd be open to doing so. We can work on a design together as well.
Edited By Drachi on 4/16/2024 at 11:26 PM.
Scathreoite
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Threads: 83
Posted: 4/17/2024 at 12:07 AM Post #4
when you do your submission post, make sure all colour slots match between your display images of a species or else they count as two separate designs and will be disqualified from consideration (currently your venes' C4, C5 and A2 colours are different) (what goes in the theme design post is one colour palette per species shown off on at least one set of traits to display the colours. The palette itself is the theme design)

One thing to take into account when designing is colour swing, all themes when created have a range within which any given colour can swing from its 'base' colour (same as how generator essences do)

Another is to remember in conjunction with that is that themes can, upon capture or creation, end up having any non-restricted traits (though res traits can be added after the fact), so you want to try to get the theme looking good with many trait combos. Sometimes it takes a lot of poking at a colour slot messing with hue and saturation and the like to get something that really works across most traits in a trait slot.
Also have to take note of when certain traits use colour slots that you might have as both the same colour, and when different trait slots have a lot of colour overlap, which can result in flat outcomes (for example, your current palette, G3 and A1 are the same colour, so all the more recently released G3s are not as varied as they could be since they draw from both slots)
eg
vs
(since this is meant to be enchanted/spring forest, I'd say you could maybe try out some brighter blues/greens, maybe see how a slot or two looks with pink, purple, orange, or yellow to give a bit more variance and some flowers/magic vibe? Making ec one of those could add a lot of variance since a lot of slots use ec as a highlight colour)

as to the original question, using the current palette that the male has, here's some options
Windsofwinter
Level 65
Master Egg Hunter
Posted: 4/17/2024 at 11:37 AM Post #5
Thank you all for your incredible comments. A bunch of you caught that I forgot to change the accent colors on the female and pointed out that I could really use at least one more color to help highlight all of the possible trait combos (the pallet generators were super helpful for that).

Here's the result:

Updated

Original
Drachi
Level 75
Cutely Creative
Posted: 4/17/2024 at 12:37 PM Post #6
This looks like a definite improvement! I look forward to see your designs continuing to improve. I'm always open to bounce ideas off of.
Windsofwinter
Level 65
Master Egg Hunter
Posted: 4/24/2024 at 7:09 PM Post #7
I'd love to bounce another idea off you if that's ok! I updated my initial post with an Aurleon theme idea because I'm trying to get to 10 theme submissions for the contest.

Please tell me if I can ever return the favor by giving feedback on your designs, or if I should stop asking.
Drachi
Level 75
Cutely Creative
Posted: 4/24/2024 at 8:36 PM Post #8
Ooh I do like the idea. Always been a fan of pink and blue designs. The Milky Way makes for a nice analogous color palette. (Colors that are next to each other on the color wheel). I went ahead and pulled some colors directly from the image (left) and then modified them to probably fit a design better (color codes and on the right side.)

Now if you don't want to change very much I'd recommend a very light blue. That m2 slot interacts with the EC, C2 and the C3. A very light blue would contrast with all of those.

If you do want to change a lot, this is how I'd do the design personally. It could probably use some more color tweaking but you get the idea. If you would like me to explain any reasons for why I picked these colors I can try to give a good enough answer.

(I think there used to be a design club back a couple years? But people could ping other members just to bounce around ideas. I don't really mind talking about designs. I like art in general and color theory and design is quite interesting to me.)
Edited By Drachi on 4/24/2024 at 8:37 PM.

This Page loaded in 0.010 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.