Forum Index > News and Announcements > Faelora Revamp Sketches 3.0
Page 3 1, 2, 3, 4 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Scathreoite
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Threads: 83
Posted: 8/18/2021 at 4:29 PM Post #21

> antlers are agony, I know this, never mind antlers with so many prongs. Having to get the perspective right,,, oof. Included quick scribble of what angles the antlers look like they're at to us.
number of prongs is also off between them
> back of male's neck seems like it's not coming out of his skull from the back, so we poked that
> deer are very Oblong, so we squared his back up, with slope from shoulder to hip because mm, looked better. Also slightly flattened out his stomach area for same Oblong reasons
> chonked up thigh (better match to the female, current sketch thighs on the male are very thin)
> enlarged and shifted forelegs a little, and beefed up the elbow a little. I think the / \ lines there could probably be removed? because there'd be a layer of like, fat there or something, over the muscle?

> shortened the a. female's snout to better match the length of the male's, also to decrease the size of her head in relation to her body overall (me, upon realising that the fact that we're using red lines and overlay to mark changes means she now looks like Rudolf: *buries face in hands*)
> prodded the neck a little so that our brain was happier about where it thinks the lines of the neck would be meeting the lines of the torso
> oblonged top and bottom of her up a bit also
> rounded out her thigh because it was very stick-outy and angular at the back
> far hind leg angle way better, though I think a further very slight tweak might bring it into full alignment with the other hooves?
> close foreleg's proportions still very weird (like with antlers, deer legs are *internal screaming*)- sketch's leg seems like it's currently 1/3 lower leg 2/3 upper leg, rather than half-half like it should be. Drew about what we think the proportions should be like over top

> baby male we just think his chest would look better without that one line being a complete line.
> didn't actually draw it, but I think the current baby male fae's spine is the better shape, between a convex and concave option I'd go with convex, or less concave at least?

> baby female's snout is very downward-angled, so we adjusted to bring it in line with her eyeline (which is what all the others have)

my brain yesterday: what if fimbry just did very late april fools joke,,, what if the next sketches all the fae were turned into Sakirijine. You got plant theme, you got deer parts, what could make that better? Dragon parts, the answer is dragon parts
Edited By Scathreoite on 8/18/2021 at 8:07 PM.
Aelingalathynius
Level 75
Trickster
Threads: 37
Posted: 8/18/2021 at 11:46 PM Post #22
Ooo I like how they're coming along!

Main things I notice are the neck angles on the male adult and baby - poor things have noodle bones!
Apart from reducing the curve of those necks, could the male's antlers be bigger? They look a bit flimsy as is, some really nice big ones would be so cool.
Banzai
Level 75
High Warlord
Threads: 32
Posted: 8/18/2021 at 11:56 PM Post #23
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=99403&page=1#10
Author: Meeku
Time Posted: 8/18/2021 at 5:04 AM
Its nearly perfect! just a couple things i noticed:
the number of antler tips dont match up.. just pointing it out in case it wasnt intentional.

Also, if the female hatchling was flipped horizontally then the location of the flower by the ear would be consistent.

I love how the male's neck leaves look now, before i just thought it was a weird flower. its actually leaves? wow :D

The designs are coming along greatly! : D
I love this version, they look so much better! ^w^

I do have to agree with the tips of the antlers. There seems to be 6 on one side and 5 on the other making it seem uneven and not very matching on the male. One way to fix this would be either adding a tip to the far front antler or taking away a tip on the font antler closest to our view but neither way, it is a simple fix.

For the female hatching, yes! Flipping her would make the flower on the adult more consistent. The snout could be brought up a bit to match the lining of her eye. But that's not much, I still love the babies!
Edited By Banzai on 8/18/2021 at 11:59 PM.
Dinnerbone
Level 75
The Artistic
Threads: 40
Posted: 8/19/2021 at 10:14 PM Post #24
What scath said ^
xd
Ladykyda
Level 61
Threads: 2
Posted: 8/21/2021 at 4:25 PM Post #25
I know symmetry is nice and all, but not every pair of natural deer antlers are symmetrical anywho, so do these have to be to look good? I didn't even notice the number until someone pointed it out, but it doesn't come off as something too vital. At least in my opinion.
Taptothebeat
Level 71
Candy Dispenser
Threads: 212
Posted: 8/21/2021 at 5:18 PM Post #26
Looks great. The females are much better. Idk deer anatomy and I used a trackpad for this, so suggestions with a grain of salt.

The adult male:
- back of the neck looks quite odd. Perhaps straighten?
- The antler on the right (deer's left) does not match in angle with the other one. The other antler looks as if it's going back more. Perhaps align?

The baby male:
- Unsure if it's due to the strong lineart, but the baby male is looking a bit emo/strong in facial features, perhaps can smooth out?
- The neck looks too thin / too little structure like jello.

The baby female:
- Perhaps add a little fluff around the face like its male counterpart?
- Based on the angle, I think the nose should be slightly less visible probably

Trackpad attempts for positioning:

Edited By Taptothebeat on 8/21/2021 at 5:22 PM.
Kitsunegamergal
Level 36
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 44
Posted: 8/21/2021 at 9:00 PM Post #27
Yeah
Ximph
Level 75
The Sweet Tooth
Threads: 48
Posted: 8/22/2021 at 12:02 AM Post #28
I don't feel flipping the baby female is a good idea, I love that all the babies and adults are turned to face each other in some way. Flipping the female baby would ruin that. I don't mind the flower being on the opposite ear in all honesty, though it seems the crowd is split on that.

The male adult prongs can be solved easily by removing the extra prong on the left side and moving the other prong between them so it isn't so far between prongs.
Krinadon
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,114
Posted: 8/22/2021 at 12:13 AM Post #29
Just to chime in on the baby female's flower. Artistically, it is way better to keep the flowers as we have them now. Putting either the baby's or the adult's behind their ear would be very diminishing for the overall art appeal.

A much simpler solution is to just consider the flower a flexible piece of their head-wear. Something that can casually be in various positions on a female's head and something that the Faelora can move around itself however it wants to. It doesn't have to be something entirely 'set in stone' in a fixed, permanent position.
Arofawn
Level 75
High Druid
Threads: 41
Posted: 8/22/2021 at 2:58 PM Post #30
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=99403&page=3#21
Author: Scathreoite
Time Posted: 8/18/2021 at 4:29 PM

> antlers are agony, I know this, never mind antlers with so many prongs. Having to get the perspective right,,, oof. Included quick scribble of what angles the antlers look like they're at to us.
number of prongs is also off between them
> back of male's neck seems like it's not coming out of his skull from the back, so we poked that
> deer are very Oblong, so we squared his back up, with slope from shoulder to hip because mm, looked better. Also slightly flattened out his stomach area for same Oblong reasons
> chonked up thigh (better match to the female, current sketch thighs on the male are very thin)
> enlarged and shifted forelegs a little, and beefed up the elbow a little. I think the / \ lines there could probably be removed? because there'd be a layer of like, fat there or something, over the muscle?

> shortened the a. female's snout to better match the length of the male's, also to decrease the size of her head in relation to her body overall (me, upon realising that the fact that we're using red lines and overlay to mark changes means she now looks like Rudolf: *buries face in hands*)
> prodded the neck a little so that our brain was happier about where it thinks the lines of the neck would be meeting the lines of the torso
> oblonged top and bottom of her up a bit also
> rounded out her thigh because it was very stick-outy and angular at the back
> far hind leg angle way better, though I think a further very slight tweak might bring it into full alignment with the other hooves?
> close foreleg's proportions still very weird (like with antlers, deer legs are *internal screaming*)- sketch's leg seems like it's currently 1/3 lower leg 2/3 upper leg, rather than half-half like it should be. Drew about what we think the proportions should be like over top

> baby male we just think his chest would look better without that one line being a complete line.
> didn't actually draw it, but I think the current baby male fae's spine is the better shape, between a convex and concave option I'd go with convex, or less concave at least?

> baby female's snout is very downward-angled, so we adjusted to bring it in line with her eyeline (which is what all the others have)

my brain yesterday: what if fimbry just did very late april fools joke,,, what if the next sketches all the fae were turned into Sakirijine. You got plant theme, you got deer parts, what could make that better? Dragon parts, the answer is dragon parts

^this and Taptothebeats 's suggestions about antlers are gold
Edited By Arofawn on 8/24/2021 at 3:56 AM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.