Forum Index > Groups, Guilds, Clubs, and Services > world builders of sylestia
Page 3 1, 2, 3, 4... 9, 10, 11 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Stringworms
Level 68
Majestic Ice Carver
Threads: 105
Posted: 6/8/2021 at 12:40 PM Post #21
great to have you as part of the team, your universe sounds really interesting! i'll add you to the editing roles ^^
Larkian
Level 75
The Tactician
Threads: 104
Posted: 6/8/2021 at 1:38 PM Post #22
YOOO THAT SOUNDS AMAZING MAY I USE IT

(Also thank you xD)

If you want, I can help you brainstorm a few dangerous creatures? I like coming up with random species, especially writing their more intricate mechanics, though I figure you'd prefer more basic ideas to run off of :)
(Though lore, superstition, and legends surrounding things are mostly my forte lol)
Edited By Skylarky on 6/8/2021 at 1:39 PM.
Frostfire
Level 69
Frosty Hands
Threads: 5
Posted: 6/8/2021 at 1:52 PM Post #23
Of course you can use it!

And please, I'm horrible at lore. It's always good to have a fresh perspective!
Eainai
Level 71
The Sweet Tooth
Threads: 8
Posted: 6/8/2021 at 3:12 PM Post #24
Sky - I love your serpenta! Creatures being partially translucent is actually a really good strategy to keep predators away - just look at the Glass Frogs. The silver embellishments could actually be really useful, depending on the size of the creature. If it's big, say, 5 or more meters long, then little silver embellishments - especially around the translucent areas - would look like little fish swimming, so big fish would approach to eat them, and then your serpenta would eat those fish. Sorta like an angler fish, minus the bioluminescence. Plus, if the silver embellishments were in translucent areas as I suggested, the translucence would look sort of like the fish's fins, since you can see the organ rippling, it would seem the fish fins were moving.

You could also try making regional variants of your serpenta- like instead of one being green and blue and black, you could have one regional variant that's blue and black, maybe a bit bigger than the others, one that's pretty much all green, but very small, one that's the mostly translucent with black speckling- the possibilities are endless. (If you want to dive into markets, you could make there be high market demand for one kind's skin, and less for another- I've seen this type of setup be used in quite a few stories, and it tends to work out well)

Frostyfear - I'm sorry, but I read your name like this for a while and couldn't get it out of my head. I'll probably keep calling you this from now on, if you don't object. If I may make a suggestion for a creature to add, maybe do a crustacean? Crabs & lobsters are popular, but shrimp are ducking terrifying when they're big- just look up Mantis Shrimps.

Both of y'alls - I'd recommend spending some time teaching yourself about the biology of different creatures. Some of the weirdest creatures that fantasy can provide, reality can provide even weirder. Knowing biology can also let you make whatever your dream creature is, 100% physically accurate. Not to mention the amount of inspiration you can get from looking at something's skeleton!
Stringworms
Level 68
Majestic Ice Carver
Posted: 6/8/2021 at 3:45 PM Post #25
looks like we have a bit of an ocean theme going on here! on the topic of deepsea creatures; i have a bit of a story going on with multiple species of mermaid in it. personally, i usually go for a less magic approach to mermaids - with them having no magic to them and only biology. recently, though i've taken on another project, one with magic in it.

however, this magic is a bit more macabre, and the mermaid aren't exactly the usual mermaid. (the main character is a cecaelia mermaid and his friend has the bottom half of a crab). this seems to be actualy really popular with my readers, though, and i've been thinking about adding a few more mer of new types. does anyone have any ideas for some mer types i could use? the main characters are going to be joining a pod (which is a group of mermaids of any kind) and i've already made a shark mer and a manta ray mer as characters, but that's not much of a pod.
Lovador
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 92
Posted: 6/8/2021 at 4:05 PM Post #26
username:
Lovador

what you would like to be called:
Lova or any nickname as long as it is appropriate or not mean.

pronouns (optional):
She/her

what you've been working on:
So I have this book called Adventure is calling that I have been procrastinating on.
Eainai
Level 71
The Sweet Tooth
Posted: 6/8/2021 at 4:13 PM Post #27

General Fantasy

More General Fantasy

Sci-fi

Crime fiction - Specifically, detective novels.

Horror
Stringworms
Level 68
Majestic Ice Carver
Posted: 6/8/2021 at 4:13 PM Post #28
welcome to the club! your story looks really interesting ^^
Lovador
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 92
Posted: 6/8/2021 at 4:14 PM Post #29
Thanks^^
Eainai
Level 71
The Sweet Tooth
Posted: 6/8/2021 at 4:20 PM Post #30
I love your idea about the different kinds of mer! I've seen it done before, but never a crab mer. What about a bettafish mer and a mandarinfish mer? The betta mer would basically just have really really long fins, and the mandarinfish mer would be a burst of color.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4... 9, 10, 11
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.