Page 11 1, 2, 3... 10, 11, 12 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Zisimilewuzz
Level 75
Enchanted Explorer
Threads: 13
Posted: 1/4/2014 at 12:39 PM Post #101

Excerpt from The Kempley Guide to Sylestia Myths, Legends, and Folklore:
"In northern regions, stories tell of a spirit woman who wanders high in the mountains and deep in the woods, an emissary of frost and cold, an embodiment of the quiet danger winter can pose to the unwary. Some say she is of elfin stock, others that she is of the fae; some whisper she is something else entirely. Perhaps she herself was once a victim of the icy dark, now bound to those high mountains and deep woods where she was lost. Perhaps she is as eternal as winter itself, another natural occurrence of the season alongside snowfall and long nights.

Whatever her origins are believed to have been -- stories differ from region to region -- she is generally associated with the winter forces that may lead to injury and death, particularly in the wilderness. But although she is said to carry a scythe with which to claim the souls of the lost and to separate limbs with frostbite, travelers in her frozen realm have little cause for fear. Incredibly, even counter-intuitively, because she is viewed as a force of nature like tremors in the earth or the changing of the leaves, this frost woman is regarded not as a malevolent imp actively seeking victims in the winter night, but as a benign and even kindly shade who brings the cold-numbed wanderer to their rest. Indeed, in the more rural areas where she is most prevalent in folklore, she is viewed with some amount of favor -- one might even say with fondness -- because she visits the frozen lost, thereby ensuring that in their final moments they are not alone. A few go so far as to say that she prefers to see people live, guiding disoriented travelers towards shelter and shielding them from the worst of winter's might whenever possible. This is the only explanation that can be found for individuals who, for example, vanished in a blizzard, only to reappear at the village's edge some hours or days later, with no recollection of how they got there aside from a fleeting image of a ghostly woman right before they lost consciousness -- or so they claim."
Lilithen
Level 60
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 5
Posted: 1/4/2014 at 11:10 PM Post #102

Legends have been told of one who was born of two races, an 'unholy union' many would have told. The Dragon and Kitsune races have warred amongst each other for eons, each having their own very different reasons on why the feuding had been started. Pride too strong to let arms be put down, but yet love was enough for two to open their eyes.

In secret they met many times, but once the Draconic fell pregnant they knew that they would be found out soon. Contemplation of running from their tribes was given, but they knew that there was a high chance that both tribes would give chase for their abandonment. Yet no other option was viable as it would get one of them killed or their unborn child. So their escape began.

Indeed their tribes hunted them and many times they thought they would be caught. Luck held out for the unlikely pair as they traveled, but soon months passed and their child was born. Feathered wings and dragon tail like her mother; but instead of the feathered ears resting atop her head, there sat kitsune ears. A blend of both mother and father, dragon and kitsune. Iyara was born.

Iyara grew learning how to fight from both her parents and why they never stopped anywhere for long. Learning that she was different because there was none like her and that she would be ridiculed for this, if not out right killed. Her Father's sword gifted to her when she showed skill within these arts, surpassing both her parents. It is one keepsake she has held on over the years, even after both parents have passed on from age.

Iyara has traveled many years, still fighting both tribes and any others who find her to be an abomination. No longer hiding what she is as she finds it most amusing to watch peoples reactions once they notice just what she is. Admittedly she will tell anyone that her goal is to stop the war going on with the two tribes, but she holds no hope in it really stopping. That the 'hard-headed feather heads' and 'fluffy-tailed blunder butts' would rather feud than resolve anything.

((Hope you guys liked this. This was my first time doing something like this so I winged it off the top of my head. Feel like the end is rushed, but all well. I wish everyone good luck on here!))
Cranberry
Level 60
Holiday Caroler
Threads: 20
Posted: 1/5/2014 at 2:07 AM Post #103
Cranberry's Song

Every fairy's got their hobby, and their time to shine.
I'll whisper to who listens- the fall and winter's mine!

In the spring, like all fairies, I tend the flowers small,
So that through the summer our blossoms may bring joy to all.

But come harvest time, my smile grows, and my laugh becomes more merry
Because that's when everyone remembers how much they like Cranberry!

A little sweet, a little tart, you can't celebrate without me.
At thanksgiving I'm on your table, and in winter on your tree!

Garlands of berries bring the red against the evergreen
In every home, in some small way, my pretty berries are seen.

Though the wind blows bitter cold through the fall and winter air,
I am happy, bringing joy with my berries in my hair.

My work brings health, tradition, joy; can you say the same?
And I am happy in all this, though I'll never gain wealth nor fame.

No adventures bold, no stories grand. Simple is the song I sing.
But for a little while, I am loved. And that is the greatest thing!

When spring comes once again, I will be quiet and small-
But for now, it is my time! Cranberries for one and all!

((er... I know technically that's not a paragraph... I hope that doesn't disqualify me?))
Edited By Cranberry on 1/5/2014 at 4:24 PM.
Electrifying
Level 70
The Tender
Threads: 28
Posted: 1/5/2014 at 5:54 AM Post #104

The Ice Spirit stared at nowhere in particular as she sat on a glacier, her mind full of thoughts. In front, the wide, pale sky of the Arctic compliments the dark depths of the ocean. Thousands and thousands of pieces of ice lay scattered in front of the glacier, all in brilliant whites, blues and purples.

It was a majestic sight.

But this view tells a dismaying story. During the past century, the temperature has been getting warmer and warmer. The ice pieces are the result of glacier breakage as it shrinks and melts over the years.

The Ice Spirit had never experienced anything near this before since the moment she was born. Will it be a reversal of her birth, as the ice shrinks to nothingness and she will also disappear with it?

It is the fault of the humans. They are far too smart, finding ways to power their machines without thinking of the environment. They cared for only themselves.

But all creatures will place themselves higher above others. Humans are no different. In fact, she had never seen such a creature before that cared for as many varieties of other species as much as humans, even though they also caused the extinction of many animals. There are ants that cared for aphids, but it is nowhere near the variety of species that humans care for, from mammals like dogs, cats, cows and horses to aquatic life like goldfish.

Maybe she just wanted something easier to blame, rather than their high intelligence and their behavior. It is the norm for all species in this world, where the fittest can only survive to reproduce and evolve, and caring for others will hinder them.

The wind bought her news of many creatures that have lost the game of survival. Like those creatures, will her time also come?

She closed her eyes and drifted to sleep. Whether she will live or ceased to exist, she would rather spend the future in a dream without dread and panic, until the temperature falls again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Types up story*
*reread rules that was skimmed over before*
Fai: "you must write a short paragraph"
a short paragraph
a short paragraph

*facepalms*

Well, this is 341 words, which would be the equivalent of a short essay paragraph...I hope it doesn't matter too much.

And while this is not exactly a backstory, you can probably gather hers from her thoughts.

(I should have read the rules before writing up my story, shouldn't I? Now I don't want to scrap and replace it after all my efforts. At least I will get a wheel ticket for participating...)

(And this is a pretty depressing story. Out of all the things to do with winter and coldness in general, I came up with global warming. I should learn how minimize energy usage... >.>)
Edited By Electrifying on 1/5/2014 at 6:15 AM.
Sorenaorod
Level 60
Master Egg Hunter
Threads: 1
Posted: 1/5/2014 at 12:13 PM Post #105

Name: Adrienne

Element: Water

Life as a mortal:

The boys at school were always falling head over heels for her, and the other girls were jealous of her beauty! she was beautiful and somewhat popular, but she was nice to everybody including the jealous girls, despite how mean they were to her! she has a great life and people always complimented on how she have a lot in common with a mermaid. she would just smile, even though she never believed in mermaids. she was pretty interested in them though.

Life as a mermaid:

she looked online and jokingly typed in How to become a mermaid. Surprisingly, a lot of results came up. she tried one of the rituals, thinking it wouldn't work. she ended up in the ocean the next day and screamed as she saw her shiny blue tail. Life as a mermaid is honestly better for her than as a human though!

she is beautiful and nice and very seductive without knowing it!
Roguew
Level 60
The Whimsical
Threads: 17
Posted: 1/5/2014 at 2:59 PM Post #106
Since the festival has not ended, is this still going? Here's an entry, just in case. :)

"Greetings from the depths of winter. I, Skadi, welcome you to my realm. Here the light cannot reach us. There is no warmth, no comfort, only cold and scathing wind. Do not fret if you fall. The ground is slick, with layers of ice hidden beneath this snow. It is lonely here. There are only the two of us, you and me. The only sound is that of your own breath. Do not fret if you become lost. Here the paths and lanes look much alike. Around every corner is ice and snow. All the lakes and rivers are frozen. From the tops of the mountains you can see more and more mountains that all look the same. Welcome to my realm. You may never leave again."
Black
Level 62
Adept Gladiator
Threads: 111
Posted: 1/5/2014 at 4:09 PM Post #107

Black did not look like the kind of guy who would be out for the winter festivities. Horns atop his head, wings like a bat - no, he looked more like someone you'd see scaring kids on Hallows Eve. But the mail had brought a cheery note and a single, golden ticket. "Free Spin" it said. So on a particularly chilly morning -Black loved the cold, as his small friend base had come to learn- he headed out, his boots crunching on the newly fallen snow as he headed to the central square.

"Give it a spin!" A heavy set man with red cheeks smiled at him after Black had made his way through the crowds. With a nod and a great heave, the wheel was set to motion. It spun fast, colors blurred, then slowly, ever so slowly, came to a stop. "Congratulations sir! You must be very excited!"

"Right... Excited.." Black looked at the softly glowing egg in his hands. A ryori. Black hated Ryoris.

---

It was a week or so later, Black was making his daily venture to his hatchery. Some eggs too warm, others to cold, some dull and others shook slightly with restless inhabitants. Black himself was not in his usual, skull clad robes, but in something a little more easy to look at. After all, even though he was a bit of an eyesore himself, that didn't mean he wanted his hatchlings to be scared of him.

As he neared the end of his task, a crunching noise reached his ears. Red eyes locked on to the source, and Black blinked upon discovering that his prize egg was about to hatch. He sighed - great, he was going to have a Ryori to care for now. Picking the egg up, he thought about assisting the little thing, but decided against it. "It's a cruel world out here - you get yourself out of there." And so it did.

Clawing and scraping, the little creature forced its way from the shell. Watching it sit amidst a shattered pile of its old home, Black couldn't help but admire its spunk. "Well... good for you then," he chuckled. The little creature turned its head up at him, blinking wide eyes, and gave out a small squeak. As he gathered the little creature in his cold hands, Black sighed softly and let the little creature up closer to his face to get a good look at its owner. It cooed, and softly pushed its head against his nose. A knot grew in his throat. "...Okay Erebus... you win... Welcome to the family."

And perched upon his shoulder the little one remained for the rest of the day.
Kristallfisch
Level 70
Sylestiologist
Threads: 6
Posted: 1/5/2014 at 4:27 PM Post #108

Fading Stars

We are the eternal. We exist to shine. Light is our existence. The echo of our sparks may catch the eye even if we have long ago diminished.
We are the ancient. We rule the night. Our throne is made of ebony and velvety blackness.
We are fading. In the morning's glory our light is banished from the skies. As the one rises, we hide from sight.
When the one rules, we shine unseen. Where the one hides their face, we twinkle, we glitter.
We can never be vanquished, because we are many. We are the eternal.
Rosesor
Level 60
Renowned Caroler
Threads: 0
Posted: 1/5/2014 at 6:42 PM Post #109

Salt water burns your lungs as you search desperately for the surface, limbs thrashing ineffectively. You know it is futile. You are dying. You even see that light everyone is always talking about.The light grows brighter and you look into it, accepting your fate. What you see is not the afterlife, but a fish. It has bright orange stripes and fanned spikes and, among them, hands, hair, a face. It's a mermaid! Captivated by her, it takes you a moment to notice the burning in your lungs has stopped and you are breathing as you would above water.

The mermaid looks you over and begins to speak, "I am Leona, Queen of the Lionfish. I have delayed your demise today with the hope that we may be able to strike a deal. You fell from a fishing boat, correct?"

You open your mouth to say she is right, but only bubbles come out. You start to panic, afraid she won't be able to understand you but she is already replying to what you have said, "Yes, yes. Your clothing says it all. Your people have been disrupting my kingdom with your fishing. If you can convince them to go elsewhere, I will save your life. Perhaps you could fish in my enemy's waters instead. There's a nice area east of here I might want to invade soon."

Your heart sinks at her suggestion. You don't have the power to tell your people where to fish. You decide to bluff and agree to her offer, but when you see the look in her eyes as you spin your tale you know you have made the wrong choice. Without a word, she turns away and swims into the darkness, leaving you once again struggling for breath.

A few seconds later, strong arms pull you out of the water and back onto your boat. As you cough up water and try to thank the man who pulled you up, you think about what happened below. Was she a dream?
Edited By Rosesor on 1/5/2014 at 9:07 PM.
Cerberus
Level 75
Trickster
Threads: 167
Posted: 1/6/2014 at 1:44 PM Post #110

They speak of Neva as a myth. An angelic Frost being whom warns of to come snow storms and supposedly "rescues" people left out in the snow. Its a myth because she is so fast you barely catch a glimpse of her yet there are newspapers speaking about how she saved lives of people in nearby villages.Neva means "white snow" that is where she got her name from the towns people. It's said she gets around by the snow itself.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3... 10, 11, 12
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.