Forum Index > General Discussion > - The Sylestia Times: September 2020 -
Page 1 1, 2, 3 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 293
Posted: 10/1/2020 at 11:08 AM Post #1
Edited By Limor on 10/1/2020 at 11:12 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 10/1/2020 at 11:08 AM Post #2

written and edited by Mossflight2

September has definitely been an interesting month, with several updates and the ending of Summer Fest!

Let's start off with Summer Fest - I'm sure you know all about it from last month's issue so I won't go into the details.
Anyway, near the very end of Summer Fest, Krinadon added a day to the festival to help players finish their sculptures in time. However, when it became clear that many sculptures would still be lost, there was a rather heated discussion about whether sculptures would be auto-harvested, whether it would be fair, etc. I'm sure you can imagine why many players were quite relieved, myself included, when Krinadon did end up auto-harvesting many of the sculptures.

Now, onto the updates!
Krin recently made a thread, titled Rapid Response Suggestion Thread, for small things that people would like to be implemented into the game. Players could post a single, simple suggestion, and Krin would try to add the most popular ones into the game. It is now locked, unfortunately (for us, probably fortunately for Krin and Fai :P), but a handful of suggestions were added, with a few more on the way!

The recovery times for females is also being shortened - there are two options, displayed in the Community Poll. It ends in just four days, though, so be sure to get your votes in before then!
The two options are the static option and the midnight option. The static option would reduce the recovery times by a static amount, helping players breed at the same time every three days, for example if they were breeding a regular pet, instead of slowly falling behind a few minutes every time they bred. The midnight option would keep the same recovery times, but they would all default to midnight, Sylestia time. But one potential downside to this option would be if a player bred around midnight one day; some of their pets' recovery times may differ by an entire day if they started breeding before midnight, but didn't finish until after it.
Edited By Limor on 10/1/2020 at 11:13 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 10/1/2020 at 11:08 AM Post #3

Written and edited my Limor

Note: All winners are put into a drawing to get a final winner!

Last time only one person submitted an entry so Soaringfalcone you are welcome to take both pets home! Good job :)

Now, onto new games!

Design Contest
This month around we'll be doing something different for games - a design contest! For this contest you may submit one design by either DMing me, Limor, or pinging me in thread with a design based on your favorite Ice Cream! Judge's favorite design will be featured and win a mystery themed pet!

If you ever want to play old Times games in your free time, they can be found here!
Edited By Limor on 10/1/2020 at 11:48 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 10/1/2020 at 11:09 AM Post #4

Writers and Editors Named Above Each Section

Podcast Review
Written by Limor, edited by Limor

Hi guys in this Podcast review we'll be taking a look at Lore! This podcast is about folklore and what may be behind those stories.

You can listen to lore in a verity of places (and means) as this podcast also comes in the form of books and a television series on Amazon Prime (though it might be on other platforms this is the one I'm familiar with). Too tell the truth I've never read the books, but I assume they must have as good writing as the podcast. Lore tells the stories of the history behind vampires, werewolves, you name it! So give them a listen, a read, or a watch and let me know what you thought!

Youtube Review
Written by Orcastration, edited by Limor

Translation Fails is one of my favorite Youtube channels!

Basically, they take popular songs or certain phrases/information and send it through Google Translate. The results are pretty funny too! So go check that out if you need a laugh :)

Book Review

written by Orcastration, edited by Limor

I haven't read many books lately but seeing as a certain "last book" in a certain Trials of Apollo series is coming out, I've gone back and started reading...the Kane Chronicles! Especially since they're getting a TV show for Netflix and all :)

The Kane Chronicles is an Egyptian mythology series by Rick Riordan and follows the adventures of Carter and Sadie Kane over three books as they try to, and fail at, saving the world. All three books, the Brooklyn House guidebook/quizbook, and the three-book crossover Uncle Rick did between the Kane Chronicles and the Percy Jackson series make a great read. And seriously you learn a lot about Egyptian mythology pretty fast...

Forum Review
Written and edited by Marichoness

Hello all and welcome to September's Forum Spotlight! This months interview was with Cian on her Free Genetic Testing and Infertility Services! There are many of these offered in the forums, so let's go see what they are all about.

(A quick explanation of Gen testing and infert: Genetic Testing and Infertilizing are both common kits used on sylestis. Genetic testing can reveal hidden and carried traits in a sylestis genes and mutations, as well as reveal stats, colors, and genes if the sylesti is not an adult yet. Infertilizing is used to make a pet unable to breed, and is most commonly used on project offspring. Both kits can only be used on a sylesti once, and both are irreversible. Having your pet untested does not affect it's battle or stats.)

As someone who offers these same services myself, I was curious if Cian had similar reasonings for offering it as my own. I was not disappointed~
What made you decide to offer free testing and infert services?
"It's a service that was available to me when I first came to sylestia so when I finally got access to do it myself I decided to help those who didn't have access to it themself."
Everytime I log onto Sylestia, I am astonished at how generous and kind so many of the players are here.

Have you met a lot of good people through this service?
"Of course, people offering this service are doing so to help others. ^-^ "

We all started out at the same level, so let's see how Cian started!
Who first helped you test your pets?
"I used a few testing threads from other players but I remember I had one I was using a bit more. It was a few years ago unfortunately so I can't quite remember their username, I think they stopped playing or are no longer active in the forum."

Continuing on, we all start out with untested pets, so let's see why we should get them tested.
What would you suggest to someone who has never used these services before?
"You can't know for sure what your pets may be hiding from you without testing them, to have a better chance to get offspring with the trait you want or to avoid a trait you don't like, it may be better to confirm what carried or recessive the parents have. ^-^ "

Do you think a pet's genes are good to know before you sell them or breed them?
"Yes, I am doing a lot of projects, and a good way to add yourself several months of work is to not test your pet and end up with a bad recessive trait lurking in the genetics."

And finally, Cian is not the only person in the forums to offer these services, many other players do as well. Newer and older players offer not only these services, but also services like free pet leveling, or free nurturing. When running these services both sides want to make sure everything runs smoothly.
There are many other players in the forums who also offer similar services, do you have any advice for them?
"Double check that you have the right ID number copied before setting a pet back to his owner, losing a pet this way is very rare but you can never be too careful. Also, for those who do infertility, this item is seen as a philter and as such cannot be used on a fainted pet, check if the pet is fed to prevent confusion."

That wraps up this months Forum Spotlight! Make sure to go check out Cian's Free Genetic Testing and Infertility Services or have a peek around the forums for other free services available to you!
Edited By Limor on 10/1/2020 at 11:46 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 10/1/2020 at 11:09 AM Post #5

Soulshard's Hatchery!

now paying!

Have a birthday next month? Want a happy birthday message on the Times? DM Limor for more info!

Edited By Limor on 10/1/2020 at 11:47 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 10/1/2020 at 11:09 AM Post #6

Written by Mossflight2 and Sadie, edited by Limor

Q: : Which zone is your least favourite and why?
A: I really dislike Astryls Tranquility because of all the water sprites that live there. And, well, Im sure you know why I hate water sprites so much by now.

Q: Would you rather be able to fly or to teleport and why?
A: Id probably choose to be able fly, even though teleporting would be so much faster. I would love to feel the rush of wind in my fur and see everything from an Aurleons point of view.

You have a question you want to ask Sadie? DM a times staff member and i'm sure she'll give you her thoughts on things!
Edited By Limor on 10/1/2020 at 11:47 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 10/1/2020 at 11:09 AM Post #7

Comic by Aspenanimations, Written and Edited by Limor

Comic: The Rift p3!

(and view older panels here!)

and now, an interview with Sylestia's own Tigress (Formerly Sandstorm514) - you can take a look at her comissions here!

1. What got you into art?
I've always enjoyed drawing (art classes at school, etc), but I didn't start drawing during my free time until sophomore year in high school. I was really busy that year with academics and extracurriculars, so drawing was a nice way to destress. Since then, I've been drawing on and off, and I've recently picked it up again cuz what else is there to do during shelter in place? ;P

2. What is your favorite medium to work with? (Paint, pencil, computer, etc)
I used to do traditional pencil sketches, but after trying out digital, I found it to be much more convenient and versatile. I currentlyuse a free program called IbisPaint, but I'm considering getting Procreate.

3. What piece of art are you proudest of and why?
Gosh, this is a hard question. Probably [urllink=https://i.imgur.com/G0v5g7H.png]this drawing[/urllink] ofSl33pl3ssnights'sOC, Reuvan. I'm really happy with how he turned out given that he's one of my earlier digital pieces and my first full body human piece (notice how I hid the hands and feet XD) I had to use a lot of reference pics for him.

4. What is your favorite part of drawing? (shading, coloring, lining, etc)
When working with a digital piece, coloring is definitely my favorite. It's so relaxing and I don't have to worry about choosing the wrong color or accidentally coloring outside the lines (I can be a bit of a perfectionist with my art).

5. Anything else?
On the topic of art, I guess I should mention that I also enjoy making cute animals in a variety of mediums (knitted/crocheted plushies, fluffy sock plushies, origami animals, and needlefeltedcreatures).

Edited By Limor on 10/1/2020 at 11:16 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 10/1/2020 at 11:09 AM Post #8

Welcome Welcome all! Your local Zolnixi Reporter Faron with a very interesting scoop on the latest and greatest design competitions. Ranging from pet designs to avatar designs, well even cover art and writing contests! Any contest will do! Well now during this month of September you know that the Fall is crisp and the Designs are lit!

After the conclusion of Summer Festival, we see designs from all over piling into the Fall Themed Pet Design Contest! I personally always wear a trench coat, but I think my fur suffices just fine with keeping heat out. Anyway, let us hear from this years Fall Themed Design Contest, Wisiro! Now what are your motivations for joining the contest?

Hm, Im not entirely sure, now that someone has asked lol.
I guess its because I enjoy designing pets. c:

A simple yet very valid response! I think a lot of designers enjoy these contests, but what about the prize? Does the free pet allure you?

Well, its a nice bonus if you get chosen, but no, not really.

Interesting! Not as good as getting your design chosen hm? Now how about the users other than yourself? Who would you say has the best chance at winning?

Id say Ley, Mikazukichan, Lerone, Asphodels, Bobross, Limor, Sunagakure, Skor, Godiva, Zaynah, Takaani, & Effie.
As for designs I think have a chance at winning, heres a handful.

(By BobRoss)

(By Asphodels)

(By Lenore)

(By Anemochory)

(By Ley)

Very appealing designs! These are some incredible ones, now, what about the brown ones? As we know from last year, Krinadon loves his brown themes! What are your opinions on them?

I generally dont mind brown themes, especially when done well.
(Depending on the sylesti...)
Brown, blue, &/or green (& sometimes pink) can work well together in a themed, again, if done right.

I see, a very good opinion! Im sure many people would feel the same! Thank you so much Wisiro for their insight into this years Fall Festival Themed Contest! Now lets move on to a more contemporary section with Grapejuice about their Weekly Design Contest! Now, what were your motivations for starting this contest?

I've been amassing scales for a while now and noticed some of the pets in my stables looking a little drab, rather than release them I thought it'd be fun to make a contest to redesign them!

Amazing! Im sure thats a great way for people to get their designs out there! How about prizes? Anything specific youre handing out?

I'm still organizing things so at the moment it's just 15k gold but i'm hoping to offer themed pets, rare/legendary avi items, and maybe some diamonds too!

Amazing! These prizes do sound appealing to the ear, and I bet theyre appealing to the eye too! How about participants, who catches your eye the best?

Well this is the first week it's been running so there' haven't been too many entries but the three winners (Limor, Galacticgalaxy, and Bixlove) are certainly experts in colour!

I would agree! They all have amazing experience in color! Last question of the day, what about the pets you have? Any that you want recolored?

Ah i've got this truly clashy looking boy, I've tried on multiplte occasions to come up with a good scheme for him but come up blank. I Know he has some potential, so he'll probably be appearing in a future contest!

Incredible! Thank you Grapejuice for your input on your contest! Be sure to go check them out!

Well folks youve seen it for this month! Many other contests are out there and just begging for attention! Be sure to join up as many as you can, flexing those designer skills and getting on the top spot! For now, this is Faron, signing off for Septembers issue! See you all next month and Happy Designing!~

Faron Sprites were based on a fanganronpa sprite collection. Under the guidelines of Fair Use we are able to publish them in this free online newspaper. Thank you for your consideration.
Edited By Limor on 10/1/2020 at 11:18 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 10/1/2020 at 11:09 AM Post #9

Written by Limor, edited by Limor
A few links to check out when making designs are:
Themed pet reference pages by Xavion
Comprehensive Guide to Themed Pets by Lavelle
Guide to Themed Pet Contests by Scathreoite

So for this round we have a more fun thing, randomizing sylestia and trying to turn them into nice designs using traits! I will be showcasing what I made below and it would be fun if y'all did this as well and pinged me with what you got! Next month will be a more indepth issue but due to laptop problems take this short version haha

Edited By Limor on 10/1/2020 at 11:23 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 10/1/2020 at 11:09 AM Post #10
Edited By Limor on 10/1/2020 at 11:23 AM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.