Author Thread Post
Larkian
Level 75
The Tactician
Threads: 104
Posted: 10/13/2019 at 10:01 PM Post #11
RPG's
~ An overview ~

An RPG, or Role-Playing Game is quite different from an RP. An RPG consists of a narrator and players. However, players do not usually interact with anyone but the narrator and NPCs (non-player characters) , although occasionally the narrator allows players to interact with each other. There is usually a set storyline that the players' actions influence, but there is little diversion from the intended storyline.

The narrator or host of the RPG sets it up (usually involving a lot of reserved posts). They have a lot of power over the players' characters. The narrator controls what happens to a character based on the player's action. They drive the storyline and control the NPCs in the RPG.

The players of the RPG can only control what their character does, not what happens to them. They cannot go against the narrator's decisions, often stated by the rule "Narrator's word is law." This means that, for example, if the narrator decides that the player's character falls into a ditch and breaks their ankle, they cannot miraculously grab onto the side of the ditch and save themselves. However, what a player makes their character do or say does influence what happens to the character as a result of that.

Roleplay gamers usually can only have one character in the RPG. Characters can die depending on the narrator, but usually do not.

Edited By Canawlia on 10/14/2019 at 1:46 PM.
Larkian
Level 75
The Tactician
Posted: 10/13/2019 at 10:02 PM Post #12
General RPG Rules and Stuff
~ Mostly for players but also for the narrator ~

For the Narrarrarrator
1. Don't be overly controlling of the players. It is the player's decision what their character does, and you don't have control over that. For example, if the player says, "I walk forward to attack the dragon," don't say, "No you don't, the dragon scares you so much that you find it impossible to walk forward." This, however, is different than if the player says what happens to their character (such as "I walk forward and successfully dodge the dragon's attacks.") Then, you can tell them that they can't control what happens to them.

2. Don't try to give the player the hardest time ever, unless the point of your RPG is to torture the players' characters. No one is going to want to play an RPG where everyone dies within 10 posts.

For the Players
1. (Usually) Narrator's word is law. Don't give the narrator a hard time by saying, "Nuh-uh! Bob was too far away from the dragon to get torched!"

2. In many RPGs, there is a possibility that your character can die. The thing is, not a lot of narrators are going to try to make your character die, but you can't exactly be set on fire, fall off a cliff, land on a bunch of spikes, and live very well, so just, well, try to avoid getting into situations like that.

3. Stay in character and within your skill range. If your character has terrible aim, don't have them hit the bulls-eye or intended target every time they fire. Of course, this is more up to the narrator what happens.

Edited By Canawlia on 10/22/2019 at 12:13 AM.
Larkian
Level 75
The Tactician
Posted: 10/13/2019 at 10:02 PM Post #13
How to Start/Run an RPG
~ If you'd like to control the story rather than following along ~
Kinda coauthored by Orca2whale :D

So you think you've got enough experience to run an RPG? It's more difficult than hosting an RP, I'll tell you, you've got lots more work to do. Make sure you are on at least twice a week and have the time for it.

First, you'll need a good plot and storyline. An RPG requires more thought put into this, because the storyline is much less fluid than an RP, and you mostly control it. Of course, there will be some variation depending on the players' decisions, but you should have something to work towards or a set goal for the players. This does not mean that you ned a set ending, however, just keep in mind, an aimless RPG with no destination or storyline in mind will die quickly.

So now you have to do is to make the RPG thread itself in the Roleplay Games forum. No separate threads for finding players this time!

Now, you have to enter a name and a description. Make it interesting, because your description, among other things, is what's going to entice people into joining!
Things you should add in the description:
- A decent bit of the storyline/backstory of the RPG - but don't give away too much!
- What the players are, or what they are trying to do
- Any other stuff about the RPG the player should know before they begin.
As Orca suggests, it's a good idea to write out your intro in a Google Doc or so sort document you can save, so you can make changes before you post it.

After you post this first introduction post, immediately reserve at least a page of posts (my personal preference is up to post #20, the end of the second page). How do you do this? Click the button to make a new post, hit any of the blue formatting buttons at the top (center align is my favorite) and post it! This will create a blank post you can edit later if you want to add anything later. Alternatively, you can type 'Reserved' or something, it doesn't really matter. Do this until you are satisfied with the amount of reserves you have. Don't forget to reserve enough posts to keep track of the players' information.

Okay, so what exactly do you do with these reserved posts? Well, you'll first have to add a sign-up form, of course! This is important, or no one will sign up for your RPG, and you'll be sad :( Here are some basic things you probably need in your sign-up form:
- Name
- Age (possibly with boundaries)
- Backstory (sometimes optional, but some RPGs may require a backstory describing how the character got to this point)
- Image/Description
- Other
These are things found in most RPG sign-up forms, but here are some other things you may see added or may be appropriate for yours:
- In-game name (often shortened to IGN, I never saw the point of this as it's just your username, but many RPGs have it so why not?)
- Species (if it involves multiple species, of course)
- Strengths
- Weaknesses
Don't forget that none these are required or anything so you may pick and choose, and of course it's your decision as to what fits in your RPG - meaning you can add whatever information belongs.

One of the most important parts of an RPG, the part you need to add next: the rules! Set some guidelines for your RPG, including the ones for the player I have mentioned in the above post. Additionally, you can add:
- How many players you can take at a time
- Rules regarding how long a player can be inactive before they get kicked out
- Whether the players can interact with each other
- To quote your last post
- Any other boundaries you think are appropriate.
Like RPs, many hosts like to put a rule saying to include a phrase or something in their sign-up form to show that they have read the rules.

Here are some other things you should add in addition to rules and sign-ups:
- Any world information such as maps, areas that can be visited, creatures that can be found in that world, lore, etc. You can choose to add everything at the start or only add things the players have discovered.
- NPCs - NPCs, or non-player characters, are played by you and are people the players can run into, usually to move the story along. This will be explained in more depth later.
- Any other info you should keep track of, or for player reference.

Now you wait... for people to sign up! The RPG community here on Sylestia is sadly not as active as the Roleplaying one, but you should get at least one player within a week (it's usually Orca or me lol), and that's all you need to get going!

About those NPCs I promised.
NPCs, or non-player characters, are technically played by you. They generally will have less in-depth of a backstory and personality and are just to drive the story along, but do try to define their character at least a little bit! The more your NPCs sound like real people, the more immersive and fun your RPG will be!

Okay, now for the actual running the RPG part. Once people sign up, the narrator (you) will usually get them started right away. You should be the one doing the intro or first post, just explain how the character starts and make sure to change the details depending on the character's backstory and other factors. This is a good thing to keep in mind the whole time, actually. It makes things more interesting if you tie in the player's backstory to the RPG. Plus, it's kinda weird if, say, the character's mom died but they wake up to their mom cooking breakfast. When the player responds to you, they should ping you, and you should try to reply to them as soon as possible (although I'm being a hypocrite here). Since RPGs tend to have a more solid storyline than RPs, drive the storyline! It will get boring fast if all you let the player do is walk around aimlessly. If nothing is happening, make something happen! Throw in an obstacle or challenge. Make something surprising happen. But at the same time, don't just throw a bunch of random things at the player at once. So that's basically it once you get going: start the player, player replies, reply to the player, continue.

Other things you should keep in mind:
- Like roleplays, RPGs will all die. Eventually. I mean, there are some very, very long-running RPGs out there, but it's not often that an RPG reaches its conclusion. If everyone just leaves, or you get bored, don't be afraid to end it. You can always make another, and now you have more experience under your belt.

- I shall now contradict myself and say that you don't have to reply immediately all the time. I am very, very guilty of this. If you need a break, take a break. Running an RPG is more work than an RP, so it's alright if you're overwhelmed, especially if it's your first one. Just let everyone know if you want to take a break for awhile. No one will blame you. If they do, PM me and I'll internet-punch them for you.

- Make sure people follow the rules! RPG rules are less lax than RP rules, and remember that you're in charge. If someone is constantly bothering you and/or powerplaying, warn them. And if they continue, kick them out. Yes, you might feel bad, but if they are taking the enjoyment out of the game, they shouldn't be in it. Just don't be super strict, especially to people to are newer to this.

- Run the RPG however you prefer. Some people don't keep track of player information. Some people don't have a set storyline and let the player make their own story. Whatever it is, do what you feel comfortable with.

Edited By Canawlia on 11/5/2019 at 2:39 PM.
Larkian
Level 75
The Tactician
Posted: 10/13/2019 at 10:02 PM Post #14
How to Play the RPG
~ The main part of RPGing ~

Edited By Canawlia on 10/13/2019 at 10:31 PM.
Larkian
Level 75
The Tactician
Posted: 10/13/2019 at 10:03 PM Post #15
RPG Etiquette
~ Be nice to each other ~

Narrator
- Try to respond within a week. If you are unable to due to vacation or whatever, it's always best to tell people. Although I will say that not responding so often keeps people on their toes ;)

- Typing a multiple sentence response is always better, especially for the narrator. More details help the player visualize things, and it makes things more interesting.

- Additionally, try to make things neat and spell things right! I'm not sure about you, but things with better grammar and readability are more appealing to me. You don't have to centerize everything and bold all the titles like me, but at least don't write huge incomprehensible blocks of text without separation.

- If you keep track of the players' information (inventory, health, etc.), update it accordingly. In some RPGs I run, I'm pretty lax about inventory and whatever, but if the players start with a limited amount of supplies and have to get the rest themselves, it's helpful if you edit the info whenever possible.

- Drop hints from time to time. If the player is totally confused, you might want to put in parentheses "Try checking out the *item* over there?" or something like that. Obviously, don't spill everything and give all the answers, but don't make people rage quit because they can't figure out what to do next.

- Remind players if they haven't been replying in awhile. Just ping them again and ask something like "Still in?" Don't just kick them out without checking. Maybe they've been through a rough time and haven't had the time to reply.

Players
- Let the narrator know if you can't respond or want to drop out. They (usually) won't be offended, everyone has their own life, but most narrators will kick you out after a certain amount of inactivity, so you should do this to avoid being kicked.

- Respond in more than one sentence. Although this may be slightly less important if you're not a narrator, I can personally vouch for the fact that writing more is much more helpful and interesting for the narrator, and if you write less, the narrator might not know where to go from there! You should also try to be more specific and interesting with your responses, not just "I look around." Say something more interesting and you're bound to get a more interesting reply. In fact, I as a narrator will do something random, like drop a giant rubber duck on your character's head if you say something vague like that.

Edited By Larkien on 5/18/2020 at 1:42 PM.
Larkian
Level 75
The Tactician
Posted: 10/13/2019 at 10:05 PM Post #16
Some More Lovely Stuff
~ Helpful hints ~

Edited By Canawlia on 10/13/2019 at 10:42 PM.
Larkian
Level 75
The Tactician
Posted: 10/13/2019 at 10:05 PM Post #17
Larkian
Level 75
The Tactician
Posted: 10/13/2019 at 10:05 PM Post #18
Making an RP or RPG Character
~ The person you control or make suffer :D ~
Written by GoldenNautilus

So, here's a typical RP/RPG form...

Name:
Race:
Appearance:
Personality:
Backstory (Optional):
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Other:

Tips For Each Category

Name
While not required, full names are typically preferred.

You can put any number here, as long as it's within the host's guidelines.

Male, female, androgynous, etc. Simple as that.

Race
This really depends on the context. Read the summary provided by the host and choose a race or species accordingly. (ex. Don't choose a cyborg if the RP is about dragons.)

Appearance
You can put any old character art here, but if you take an image off the internet, at least say that it isn't your artwork.
If you prefer to type up a description details are everything. Describe height, eye, skin, and hair color, preferred attire, wether they're skinny or rotund, any details you can put a name to.

Personality
Be descriptive, use clever adjectives, and don't contradict yourself. Aside from that, let your imagination run wild!

Backstory
While this is often optional or can established in the actual roleplay, hosts love it if you provide backstory! It can have some tragedy, but keep it realistic and don't over do it.

Strengths
Powers and skills are the first things that come to mind, but character traits (Like courage) can also be strengths! Remember not to add too many or make your character overpowered.

Weaknesses
Weaknesses are just as important as strengths! They create balance in a character. Again, character traits (Like foolishness) can also be weaknesses. Make sure that external weaknesses (fears, situations, etc.) aren't impossible to come by or figure out. Certain strengths can also have corresponding weaknesses (ex. A character with incredible hearing would be stunned by very loud noises.)

Other
Here you can add a few other random details about your character. These details are like sprinkles on an ice cream; small, not necessary, but nice to have. Keep them small and reasonable.

Here's an example of a good form:

Name
Riley "X-Ray" Thunderclap

Race
Electric Elemental

Appearance
(Not my artwork)

Personality
She's perky and up-beat, always looking on the bright side. She loves being around other people and is easily excited. She's a bit impulsive and often runs into things without thinking, however.

Backstory (Optional)
Riley spent most of her earlier years alone, since her father dissappeared in an accident when she was three. She was promtply taken in by a rock-loving mechanic, from whom she learned how to master the electricity element and play the guitar. She spends most of her days in a music club, playing tunes and hanging out with friends.

Strengths
-Knack for mechanics
-Manipulation of electricity
-Gets along well with others
-Courageous

Weaknesses
-Hasty
-Electric manipulation for extended periods of time can harm her
-Too trusting at times

Other
She cares for a white alley cat called Bolt. She often speaks fondly of him.

You'll want to avoid doing this:

Name
Riley

Race
Electric elemental

Appearance

Personality
Super friendly but shy and easlily angered

Backstory (Optional)
She was abandoned as a kid and was a criminal until she were struck by lighting, giving her crazy powers!

Strengths
X-ray vision, super hearing, mind reading, controls electricity, super smart and strong, immortality

Weaknesses
A very rare stone found on top of Mt. Everest

Other
She has a pet dragon that eats people
Edited By Canawlia on 11/7/2019 at 8:49 PM.
Larkian
Level 75
The Tactician
Posted: 10/13/2019 at 10:07 PM Post #19
Larkian
Level 75
The Tactician
Posted: 10/13/2019 at 10:07 PM Post #20
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.