Forum Index > Games, Contests, and Giveaways > Needing Names
Page 1 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Soaringfalcone
Level 70
Majestic Brewmistress
Threads: 22
Posted: 9/19/2019 at 3:02 AM Post #1
So I've decided to swallow my pride and ask the general public for help naming my Sylesties. You can suggest as many names as you like. For every name I choose that you suggested, you can have an egg from any two of my Sylesties not from my Mission or project tabs.

Pets in need of names:
1. NAMED: Destiny

4. NAMED: Siren

5. NAMED: Terran

A few things that I would like to note:

All of the Rikis are male, so I will reject any distinctly feminine names out of hand.

I leave critiques for all of the names that are suggested, so if you're looking for advice on what sorts of names I like or don't, check the replies that I've left on this post.

I really appreciate any and all time that you spend thinking of names, but I can't pick every name. I try to give things that I like or don't like for every name suggested, both to justify my decision and to inform future suggestions. In the end, my goal is to find the best name for my Sylesties.

Be sure to ping me!
Edited By Soaringfalcone on 2/4/2020 at 10:47 PM.
Crazycats
Level 69
Corporal
Threads: 11
Posted: 9/19/2019 at 6:49 AM Post #2
1. looks like a mystic or oracle
2. sea foam or azure (good for 4 also)
Thats all I can think of right now.
Caprisun
Level 65
Majestic Green Thumb
Threads: 9
Posted: 9/19/2019 at 11:57 AM Post #3
5 could be named Avid it means "tree" or "eagle" in Danish
4 could be named Noelani it means "heavenly mist" in Hawaiian
3 could be named Porfirio meaning "purple dye" in Italian or Spanish
FennTheFeral
Level 75
Trickster
Threads: 62
Posted: 9/20/2019 at 12:57 PM Post #4
1 looks like an Elizabeth and 5 seems like a Scout
Soaringfalcone
Level 70
Majestic Brewmistress
Posted: 9/23/2019 at 1:40 AM Post #5
Thank you all for you suggestions and your patience!

I'm sorry to say that I won't be using any of the names that you suggested. You are all welcome to try again if you would like.

In order to help those trying to think of names, these are my thoughts on the various names suggested thus far:

1. Mystic, Oracle, Elizabeth: I do like the theming of Mystic and Oracle, but both feel a little clunky to use as an actual name, a bit like naming an misty-coloured pet "Clouds." It gets the point across a bit too directly. Elizabeth is a lovely name which would be an excellent candidate for the name I use if not for the fact that the sylestie is male. Perhaps a name which carries the same elegance, but is better suited for a male pet?

2. Sea Foam, Azure: I like the theming, once again, but Sea Foam has a clunkiness to it that I don't think would suit him. Azure fits the sea theme, but I don't feel suits this sylestie very well, as he's really more of a green colour. I'm leaning more towards Sea Foam, between the two.

3. Porfirio: I like the idea of looking for words in other languages as well as the overall energetic or mysterious sound of this name. I chose not to use it because I have no knowledge of or connection to Spanish or Italian, and I feel that I would too easily forget the significance of this beautiful name. If anyone is looking to suggest a word in a language I know I know a bit about, German and Latin are good choices, but don't let that absolutely stop you from suggesting a name in some other language, as I might still use it if it's particularly nice.

4. Sea Foam, Azure, Noelani: I've outlined my basic reasons for liking, but rejecting these names in previous explanations. Of the three, I think I like Azure the best. I toyed with the idea of modifying it and naming her "Azura," but didn't quite like the sound of that.

5. Scout, Avid: Avid is nice, but falls into the same problem as Porfirio. Something tree-themed would be nice, though. Scout is adorable and could perfectly suit perhaps a different Sylestie, but this one strikes me as older and more majestic, like an ancient spirit.

If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask.
Crazycats
Level 69
Corporal
Posted: 9/23/2019 at 7:25 AM Post #6
These are some new names I picked due to (me) being more creative at the moment and knowing what you would prefer. They are number according to the pet I was looking at.

1.Celeste, Gypsy
3.Victoria, porphyra which is ancient Greek for purple and Kukan meaning Void or Dark and is the name of one of the Kitsune in Japanese mythology.
4. Anastasia,Siren
5. Zeleny or Izumruda both mean green but Izumruda means emerald green
This is where I ran out of ideas. I may later add some more but for now this is it.
Ishki
Level 31
Threads: 2
Posted: 9/23/2019 at 3:00 PM Post #7
1. Destiny (that orb looks like it could read the future)
2.Taichi (because black and white, sorta.)
3.Tribal Tails (because it looks tribal and has 3 tails.)
4. Lake (because lakes sometimes have a little green in them)
5.Blumy (because it looks natural and it's blue.)
Soaringfalcone
Level 70
Majestic Brewmistress
Posted: 9/24/2019 at 1:31 AM Post #8
Thanks so much for taking another crack at it, Natalyag! I like Siren for #4, so feel free to pick which of my Sylesties will be the parents of your egg. Feel free to continue to suggest names for the opportunity to get another egg. I'm going to critique all of the names that you suggested for the benefit of everyone who wants to suggest more names.

1.Celeste, Gypsy: As I have mentioned before, this sylestie is male, and I therefore won't choose a distinctly female name like Celeste, although the name is beautiful. I do like giving pets "human" names, and I'm pleased that people are suggesting them. Gypsy I reject mostly because I think it runs dangerously close to being culturally insensitive. For that same reason, I won't be critiquing it for theming, since I can't claim to know enough about Gypsy culture to do so.

3. Victoria, Porphyra, Kukan: Victoria is, once again, a female name for a female Sylestie, but otherwise quite nice. I'm afraid that I can't give any better critique for Porphyra besides I don't like how it sounds and also don't know any greek. I do like the sound of Kukan, but I'm very unfamiliar with Japanese and Japanese mythology and don't feel comfortable using a name I use so little about.

4. Anastasia, Siren: Lovely names both. As I've mentioned previously, I like to give my Sylesties "human" names like Anastasia. For some reason though, this Sylestie in particular doesn't strike me as an Anastasia. I chose Siren because it perfectly fits with the ocean theming of the Sylestie without being too on the nose, and it has a nice sound to it.

5. Zeleny, Izumruda: These both feel a little far-flung to me. I assume they are both english words since you didn't specify another language. They both kind of feel like the kind of words that only show up in the thesaurus and no one actually uses them any more. While I've been rejecting names that are too on the nose, this is too far in the opposite direction. I also don't want a name that's themed around "green" for this pet since his palette is really more brown.

Thanks once again for all of your suggestions. I really do appreciate you taking the time to think of them, in spite of all the criticism I've given them.
Soaringfalcone
Level 70
Majestic Brewmistress
Posted: 9/24/2019 at 2:01 AM Post #9
Thank you for your suggestions, Ishki! Unfortunately, I won't be using any of them at this time. If you would like, you can look over my opinions of the names that you and others suggested and try again.

In the interest of generating points of comparison for people thinking of names in the future, these are my thoughts on the names you suggested.

1. Destiny: This is by far my favourite of the names you suggested. The concept of Destiny fits perfectly with the visual design of this Sylestie. My main reason for rejecting the name is because Destiny is sometimes a female name, while this pet is male. I might actually come back and choose this one later if nothing better comes up.

2. Taichi: I like the creativity of this one, but it's a little too far outside the box, and I don't think it fits the Sylesie very well.

3. Tribal Tails: I don't usually go for names that are more than one word unless the words form a coherent concept (for example, I have a pet named Sweet Cream). I'm also confused by what you mean about the Sylestie looking "tribal."

4. Lake: Though this name fits perfectly with the Sylestie's watery colour scheme, it's a little too on the nose for my taste.

5. Blumy: I'm just confused by this one. I can't figure out how the name Blumy is related to the Sylestie's natural theme or just what part of this Sylestie is supposed to be blue. Beyond that, I'm looking for a more distinguished or old-sounding name for this Sylestie, while Blumy strikes me as being somewhat childlike.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or perhaps want to offer further explanation for the names I couldn't figure out.
Crazycats
Level 69
Corporal
Posted: 9/24/2019 at 7:25 AM Post #10
Numbers 5 names were Russian. Forgot to add that in. If you don't mind I would like to breed one of my females with your male quitari, https://www.sylestia.com/view/pets/?petid=4944388. I liked his colors and think she would pair well with him. ( her being https://www.sylestia.com/view/pets/?petid=4514547 )
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.