Page 13 1, 2, 3... 12, 13, 14 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Taptothebeat
Level 71
Candy Dispenser
Threads: 212
Posted: 9/11/2019 at 12:35 AM Post #121
Great update. :)

The fledglings are very cute. Curious to see what the adults look like without wings. I assume we'll have different mutations for wings, some perhaps smaller, so it'd be nice to see.
Scathreoite
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Threads: 83
Posted: 9/11/2019 at 1:11 AM Post #122
Don't mind me I'm just. Flailing around drawing nytes to put some brainthinks down

Babies:
Necks? Big feeties.
Not pointy feathers... maybe downy feathers or pinfeathers?
Hm. Make them into Happy Laundry, since baby owls are often like Angry Laundry.
Big Feeties!

*googles some babie owls*

Adults:
Sleek! Elegant Neck!
No! Beard!

Proper feather layering and enough feathers on their wings that their Sylesti Info saying they're good flyers doesn't look like Blatant Lies. As they are in the revamp sketches, they look like the Primary flight feathers are attaching along their forearm, and they have no secondaries at all.
A bird's primary flight feathers attach along their 'fingers', their secondaries are the ones along their forearms.

Also, the feather shape should have a thinner leading edge to a much borader trailing edge
For fun (and a reference), here are some photos of a Wedge-tail Eagle's primary feather that we own:

They have an interesting shape!

they're really long!

and super broad!

And a curve, too, that's interesting.

just thinking and speculating about things I guess, thinking about how we think of nytes, thinking about the sketches (honestly the secondaries that we've drawn in all these are like... way too short as well, but considering the space constraint and that you'd want to see at least some of the body in the actual final thing let's leave that particular matter to lie)

At the very least as the process goes forwards I'd like to see the beards gone, the female with more elegant neck, the beaks a little more Owl-y and the wings more... wing-like.
Copeh
Level 75
Trickster
Threads: 40
Posted: 9/11/2019 at 1:21 AM Post #123
Ooh, nyte sketchies~ I will start with the positives!

+Baby boy nyte is fantastic! I really enjoy the level of fluff he has and am thankful that he's keeping his "here are my toes!!" pose. Only thing I'd change is the foot size, they're quite small! Overall fantastic though, great job. <3

+Nyte talons. I like them very much, nice clawed footies. Last update I saw, the toes are looking very much more like bird of prey toes. <3 So lovely~

Unfortunately, those were the only positives for me. Here are some things I think can be improved upon:

-Adult male nyte looks a bit squatty. The original, who has feet closer together, seemed much more graceful and feline in posture. I always thought of them to be like owl cats and that's fantastic! Right now the stance is closer to a bulldog, in my opinion. I think bulldogs are cute too but feel like this shouldn't be a goal for the nyte.

-Adult male tail positioning. I saw the post discussing the problems with having a tail in front of the body, but the current tail location causes a bit too much confusion as many others have stated. Moving the tail to the left like some have mentioned might help, but I'm a bit unsure about it. Maybe settled on the ground wrapping around near the front feet could work too? I imagine you're trying to preserve the original pose as much as possible, but it doesn't leave much space on your palette for places to put the tail. It's tempting to recommend a new pose for the male, but perhaps that would make people unhappy too. =\

-Adult tail feathers - This may simply look this way because these are early sketches, but the feathers on the top of the tail kind of remind me of leaves more than feathers. They're very thick and taper in a plant-like way. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the original nyte didn't have correct tail feathers either but those looked more visually pleasing. >.<

-Both adults look like they have antennae. I'd like to see them a bit more like a part of a feathery crest.

-Both adults have thin, delicate hairy legs. It's not bothering me as much on the female, but even after the changes on the male it still looks pretty thin. The leg feathers/fur/stuff don't begin to flare out until the very bottom by the toes, which I think is contributing to this sense. If you look at the original male's hind leg, the feathers begin to flare out at a much higher point. This gives the original nyte a feeling of "mass of feathers covering the leg" rather than the silky hair feeling we have going on with the current nyte.

-Feathers vs hair (expanding from the previous point) - I'm pretty happy with the baby nytes looking fuzzy, but overall the adult nytes look hairy, not feathery. I'm unsure if this is intended or not, but personally I like the feathered look more. I believe these new ones look more hairy because of the way the flyaway "tufts" are so flexible and the variety of directions in which they bend, whereas on the original nytes the tufts looked much stiffer and bent the same way. The areas under the nyte's beaks are probably the worst case of this fur, giving both male and female adults a bearded appearance.

-The baby female nyte looks either too fuzzy or is overweight. Slim her down a bit and make her feet bigger, and that adorable pose will shine~
Edited By Copeh on 9/11/2019 at 1:25 AM.
TheWildOne
Level 62
Majestic Green Thumb
Threads: 70
Posted: 9/11/2019 at 1:37 AM Post #124
I love them Faiona! The babies are so cute.
Edited By Dragonaffection on 9/11/2019 at 1:38 AM.
Nibenhu
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 30
Posted: 9/11/2019 at 2:30 AM Post #125
Oh yes, nice! Their faces look so much better and owl like.
Liria
Level 69
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 0
Posted: 9/11/2019 at 5:57 AM Post #126
This is so damn cuuuute! Good job!
Electrifying
Level 70
The Tender
Threads: 28
Posted: 9/11/2019 at 6:36 AM Post #127
The nyte needs an improvement, but can't say I'm fond of the cutesy look. I'd thought they were supposed to be owldragons!

On the generator:
"The Nytekrie are a fearsome species that are often seen lurking in the shadows. Prefering the cover of night to hunt, Nytekries are rarely seen during the day. As with most predators of Sylestia, they care little about the current weather. With their combination of strength, speed, intelligence, and flight, one should always be cautious of what's lurking in the shadows."

I don't think what's on the sketch looks like a fearsome predator. I'd prefer it to look more sleek like this:

Also get Scath's wings, they are 100% on point!

On the plus side, I'll appreciate the better art quality!
Starline
Level 71
Cutely Creative
Threads: 97
Posted: 9/11/2019 at 7:43 AM Post #128
I do like the beards maybe making this into a new trait rather then being a-part of the artwork?
Ornorb
Level 33
Threads: 11
Posted: 9/11/2019 at 11:48 AM Post #129
how am I involve with this???
Somneli
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Threads: 111
Posted: 9/11/2019 at 12:40 PM Post #130
If you're asking why you were pinged, for big official announcements like this, every single user on the site gets a ping.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3... 12, 13, 14
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.