Forum Index > Off-Topic Discussion > The Nerd-Off
Page 3 1, 2, 3, 4... 34, 35, 36 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Wastedpoodle
Level 71
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 38
Posted: 3/3/2019 at 3:46 PM Post #21
Well, Icarus was Daedalus's son. It's a pretty little-known fact that Daedalus was kicked out of Athens and shipped off to Crete because he was mentoring his nephew in his trade, but since his nephew was becoming better than him and he didn't like that at all he threw his nephew off of the tallest tower in Athens. At the last minute, Athena intervened and the nephew was turned safely into a partridge, and since the fall scared him so much that's why partridges don't do much flying ;-; That's why Daedalus was in Crete, he was banned for the attempted murder of his nephew.But you were almost right about the story of Icarus and Daedalus... they were in the Labyrinth, which King Minos had Daedalus build to hold the Minotaur prisoner and that was created because Minos's wife fell madly in love with a bull as punishment for something or other and asked Daedalus to make a cow suit so she could... BE with the bull e-o ugh... anyway, Daedalus locked Icarus and Daedalus in the Labyrinth so they couldn't tell anyone about the Minotaur. It was actually Daedalus who helped Heracles out of the Labyrinth, n'est-ce pas?

Anyway, you were right about the other two ;w;

Who was Zeus's wife?

Which of his children did Zeus reject and why, and who did this child end up marrying?

Who is Eros?

What's the difference between how Ares and Athena are the gods of war?

I REALLY love greco-roman mythology (see above rant), so sorry for asking so so many questions about it nwn'
Wastedpoodle
Level 71
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 3/3/2019 at 3:47 PM Post #22
Hmm, I see already that we have conflicting theologies.

Tell me, according to your personal logical reasoning, if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?
Wastedpoodle
Level 71
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 3/3/2019 at 3:55 PM Post #23
V-1
2^3

... and it was delicious -w-
(got that off a kid's shirt)

A dozen, a gross, and a score
Plus three times the square root of four
Divided by seven
Plus five times eleven
Is nine squared and not a bit more
(got this off a postcard my mom sent me)

My french teacher: Look, I would give you these five extra credit points from this test, but that would bring your grade up to a 128%, and that looks a little suspicious....
(actual experience)

Rando: How are you so smart? \@-@\
Me: Well, I mean... she (the teacher) JUST explained it, so....
(Another actual experience)

Hey, Mr. Franklin, that dishwasher part I made with the 3D printer last year is still holding up!
(also actual experience)
Auroralnomad
Level 75
Threads: 8
Posted: 3/3/2019 at 6:07 PM Post #24
I don't mind the questions, I like mythology across multiple cultures! Now, if only I can remember things correctly...

1. He had several wives: Hera is supposed to be his wife, but he kinda cheated with Leto and had Apollo and Artemis. He also had the Nine Muses with Memory(forgot what her real name is). Those are just a couple out of the 20-some wives(or consorts, depending on who you ask) he had

2. That one I'm not sure completely, all his children kinda are hard to keep track of...was it Persephone? I remember kinda her being captured and being married to Hades, but she probably wasn't disowned

3. Eros or Cupid, son of Aphrodite and Ares(or Hermes, depending on the legend), god of desire and attraction. He once grew jealous of Apollo when he saw him take down Python with a bow. When Eros asked for a bow from Apollo, Apollo was like, "Sorry kid, bows are for men!" Then Eros went to Hephaestus or some other god to make him a bow. When Cupid saw Apollo again, I forgot the details of how exactly this transpired, but Eros shot Apollo with an affection arrow that made him fall in love with the first person he saw. Can you tell me what happens next? I know what happens in the end.

4. Athena "fought" war strategically, Ares just solves his conflicts with shoving a weapon(or two) in the problem

Now my quiz for you:

Who was Bellerophon?

Phaeton?

Who was the bear Arcas was going to kill?

What were the items that were given to Perseus to help him defeat Medusa?

What are Sirens known for?

You might not get this one since it's Mayan, but what is Kukulkan's other name?

P.s. Wasn't it Theseus, not Hercules?
Edited By Buildingsensei on 3/3/2019 at 11:24 PM.
IvyCat
Level 62
Trickster
Threads: 106
Posted: 3/4/2019 at 12:15 AM Post #25
You are saying if you don't get caught it isn't illegal? As that goes against the premise of law.
A tree may make a sound, or it may not. It depends where you are standing, what it is falling on and the overall ambiance. Although you may not hear it, it will still make a sound.
Encryption
Level 70
Threads: 33
Posted: 3/4/2019 at 1:11 AM Post #26
Edited By Encryption on 12/12/2019 at 6:13 PM.
Harajuko
Level 75
The Tender
Threads: 8
Posted: 3/4/2019 at 7:18 AM Post #27
Just wondering, how much do you know about Dingo Pictures?

(yes, that was seriously what I could think of :/)
Edited By Professorlayton on 3/4/2019 at 7:20 AM.
Wastedpoodle
Level 71
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 3/4/2019 at 7:43 AM Post #28
Hehe, sort of what I'm saying. And if no one is there to hear it, that means you have to be standing somewhere you don't hear it at all... no distant crash or anything. It's unfortunate, but some law-abiding, good people just... haven't been caught. Think about all the things you've done wrong that no one/ hardly anyone knows about. Laws don't stop people... they just hinder. Really, the tree thing depends on your definition of sound. Sure, molecules are resonating at a frequency and all, and that's dandy. But doesn't it have to make your eardrum vibrate in order to be translated into a sense your mind can comprehend? Without the eardrum, I find my definition of sound is incomplete, so it doesn't make a sound.

But dang, you picked up on that analogy FAST!
Wastedpoodle
Level 71
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 3/4/2019 at 7:47 AM Post #29
Really, the tree thing depends on your definition of sound. Sure, molecules are resonating at a frequency and all, and that's dandy. But doesn't it have to make your eardrum vibrate in order to be translated into a sense your mind can comprehend? Without the eardrum, I find my definition of sound is incomplete, so it doesn't make a sound.

Personal reason does have some slight role to play after all. And... in the theoretical situation, if murder is legal, how is that breaking the law? It's like saying smiling is legal but if you do it it's still breaking the law because it's a crime somewhere else.
Wastedpoodle
Level 71
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 3/4/2019 at 7:49 AM Post #30
Hehe, I don't know much, to be honest, but I looked it up and immediately thought of... a meme....

But hey, it's okay if that's what comes to mind. You can nerd out on anything.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4... 34, 35, 36
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.