Forum Index > News and Announcements > Site Downtime - 1/24 @ 6 AM
Page 2 1, 2, 3, 4 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Falconetti
Level 72
Ghost Writer
Threads: 10
Posted: 1/23/2019 at 12:12 PM Post #11
How hard was it for you to make the old 5.6 scripting functional with the 7.2 scripting? (At least, I assume that's what you did from what you've been saying.)

I'm going to take it that it was definitely easier than when you first made the site. I'm kinda curious because I haven't played a game that's quite like Sylestia. The layout and gameplay is (at least to me) unique in a way that you feel like you could make your own game in the same sort of way so long as you had time (I'm probably wrong though, and I'm severely underestimating the effort you put into making this website with all the scripting and such.)

Just wondering ^.^
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,119
Posted: 1/23/2019 at 1:29 PM Post #12
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=72418&page=2#11
Author: Falconetti
Time Posted: 1/23/2019 at 12:12 PM
How hard was it for you to make the old 5.6 scripting functional with the 7.2 scripting? (At least, I assume that's what you did from what you've been saying.)

I'm going to take it that it was definitely easier than when you first made the site. I'm kinda curious because I haven't played a game that's quite like Sylestia. The layout and gameplay is (at least to me) unique in a way that you feel like you could make your own game in the same sort of way so long as you had time (I'm probably wrong though, and I'm severely underestimating the effort you put into making this website with all the scripting and such.)

Just wondering ^.^

'Hard' probably isn't the most accurate word lol. Tedious and meticulous; very lol.

So, basically, the major issue was with the mysql library of functions. When we began this process back in 2011, I bought a "Intro to PHP and MySQL" book. It taught me how to work a database using the mysql library within PHP. I was self taught so I had nobody there to say, "Hey, Krinadon, you should learn using mysqli instead of mysql because it won't be used in future versions of PHP." lol. So I learned the hard way with that.

So everything was written with mysql commands, which are straight up removed from PHP 7+. So if I were to leave them and upgrade to PHP 7, all those pages would have fatal errors saying "call to undefined function".

So I had to transform all the mysql commands to mysqli. However, it wasn't quite that simple because I wanted to do this without offloading the entire site into a testing environment and I wanted to do it without taking Sylestia offline for the 20-30+ hours it took me to parse all the code. Additionally, I had to change how each and every custom function operated to accommodate for the things that mysqli needs to operate.

So I had to basically copy my shared mysql function files, update those new versions to mysqli, then go feature by feature updating to point to those new shared, now mysqli, function files and updating themselves to mysqli. Then push the updates through, test, and move on to the next feature.
Falconetti
Level 72
Ghost Writer
Threads: 10
Posted: 1/23/2019 at 3:15 PM Post #13
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=72418&page=2#12
Author: Krinadon
Time Posted: 1/23/2019 at 1:29 PM
[quote=1505968]

'Hard' probably isn't the most accurate word lol. Tedious and meticulous; very lol.

So, basically, the major issue was with the mysql library of functions. When we began this process back in 2011, I bought a "Intro to PHP and MySQL" book. It taught me how to work a database using the mysql library within PHP. I was self taught so I had nobody there to say, "Hey, Krinadon, you should learn using mysqli instead of mysql because it won't be used in future versions of PHP." lol. So I learned the hard way with that.

So everything was written with mysql commands, which are straight up removed from PHP 7+. So if I were to leave them and upgrade to PHP 7, all those pages would have fatal errors saying "call to undefined function".

So I had to transform all the mysql commands to mysqli. However, it wasn't quite that simple because I wanted to do this without offloading the entire site into a testing environment and I wanted to do it without taking Sylestia offline for the 20-30+ hours it took me to parse all the code. Additionally, I had to change how each and every custom function operated to accommodate for the things that mysqli needs to operate.

So I had to basically copy my shared mysql function files, update those new versions to mysqli, then go feature by feature updating to point to those new shared, now mysqli, function files and updating themselves to mysqli. Then push the updates through, test, and move on to the next feature.

So basically the SQL commands call up information from a database to display to the user, and the ones you used first were older and weren't used so much anymore.
100,000 or so lines of programming to check through and update? The whole 'tedious and meticulous' part is really shining through here xD
Still, as you said, it had to be done. Probably one of the good parts for us users is that you updated everything in a way that caused as little problems for us so we could carry on unbeknownst to your probably migraine-causing feature updating :P
Thanks for replying to my question. Always good to talk to experienced folk that... well, eventually get to know what they're doing ^.^ We all start somewhere I suppose (nine times out of ten without motivation).
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Posted: 1/23/2019 at 3:38 PM Post #14
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=72418&page=2#13
Author: Falconetti
Time Posted: 1/23/2019 at 3:15 PM
[quote=1506006]

So basically the SQL commands call up information from a database to display to the user, and the ones you used first were older and weren't used so much anymore.
100,000 or so lines of programming to check through and update? The whole 'tedious and meticulous' part is really shining through here xD
Still, as you said, it had to be done. Probably one of the good parts for us users is that you updated everything in a way that caused as little problems for us so we could carry on unbeknownst to your probably migraine-causing feature updating :P
Thanks for replying to my question. Always good to talk to experienced folk that... well, eventually get to know what they're doing ^.^ We all start somewhere I suppose (nine times out of ten without motivation).

I only try and pretend like I know what I'm doing. =D

And yep, basically. Idk, an analogy might be like... the directions say "Start a car". And the mysql version is able to start a car fine, but it uses a crank engine. And the mysqli version also starts a car just fine, but uses the turn of a key for a combustion engine. They accomplish the exact same thing, but one is better and newer and everyone nowadays uses the latter option.

In total, I probably had to parse 50,000+ lines of code across 150ish files and like 500ish custom functions to make sure that they had access to the appropriate global variables and whatnot that I have mysqli access.

However, it's not quite like I sat there reading it line by line haha. There was a lot of find and replace being used. =P

The biggest hurdle was the adjustments to the shared files and making sure everything agreed with each other as I had to switch some stuff up and, initially, go through and weed out duplicate functions, fix errors, etc - then make sure both versions were doing the same thing before I merged them. If not, then I had to redo the 'mysql' version and keep it as a separate function that was now updated to mysqli and then throw it into my new shared functions file and then have all the mysql pages utilize that new thing on the new thing and blah blah blah - that is what was the major pain.
Somneli
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Threads: 111
Posted: 1/23/2019 at 5:43 PM Post #15
New layout is... which one? The one like the main page, or the one like the world map?

If it's the one like the main page, and if all pages eventually look like that... will we lose functioning of the orange text that lets us know when missions finish, we get a new ping, etc. ...?
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Posted: 1/23/2019 at 6:05 PM Post #16
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=72418&page=2#15
Author: Somneli
Time Posted: 1/23/2019 at 5:43 PM
New layout is... which one? The one like the main page, or the one like the world map?

If it's the one like the main page, and if all pages eventually look like that... will we lose functioning of the orange text that lets us know when missions finish, we get a new ping, etc. ...?

Well, most of that information is meant to be visible with the notifications that update within ~60 seconds:

I ran into some issues early on w/ them so they aren't 100% flushed out but I'm sure I could get them more flushed out.

I can't quite remember why, but there was some sort of issue w/ not being able to get the orange highlight text to work properly on the new layout so that's why they don't have it. This was years ago though by now so perhaps I can figure out a solution now.
Wolfy809
Level 63
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 1
Posted: 1/23/2019 at 7:18 PM Post #17
Will this update get rid of anything that we have right now? like our outfits and pets?
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Posted: 1/23/2019 at 7:39 PM Post #18
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=72418&page=2#17
Author: Wolfy809
Time Posted: 1/23/2019 at 7:18 PM
Will this update get rid of anything that we have right now? like our outfits and pets?

Nope. Nothing like that at all.
Oceanwarriorcat
Level 41
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 28
Posted: 1/24/2019 at 2:24 AM Post #19
But i use LINUX not windows...
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Posted: 1/24/2019 at 8:53 AM Post #20
Everything seems to be up and running.

One of our services that we use a bit to help reduce server load is not operational atm. We have to upgrade to a slightly different version of it and then just re-adjust the code in a few places to work properly for the newer version.

With it not running, I wouldn't really expect any noticeable impact on loading speeds though as it's something that hasn't really been fully integrated into the Site yet. Its main use atm is reducing repetitive database queries for player pet and avatar information. So basically, once a query is made and data is fetched, this service stores said data in memory. When the data is requested again, it fetches it from memory instead of having to make another database query.

I am working with our Host to get it installed and then configured properly and then I'll get it turned back on.

I do not expect any interruptions or impacts to any features due to this. I am merely just sharing the information. =P

Please let me know if anyone encounters any features failing to operate correctly. Thank you!
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4
This Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.