Threads: 212
Posted: 10/4/2017 at 2:28 PM Post #34
Nice work! :)
Amarok
Level 75
The Hallowed
Threads: 104
Posted: 10/4/2017 at 8:30 PM Post #35
Hmm, I agree about the antenna, actually.

I find most of the antennal designs to be underwhelming and disappointing. The majority of them look WORSE than the blank spot. Avatar and mantis antenna look fine, and the two new antennae look great, but gem, dragonfly, and ladybug antennae don't look like anything at all. I actually have trouble seeing them on the lune design unless I look really close. Is there any way to make those bigger? Branch antennae is okay but it looks a little awkward - not sure why though.

edit: for antennae, size issues seem to be with dragonfly and ladybug (i think size is a main part but possibly design also). Gem and branch antennae look a little awkward.

the rest seem to be fine.
Edited By Amarok on 10/4/2017 at 8:33 PM.
Zelly
Level 65
The Hallowed
Threads: 55
Posted: 10/4/2017 at 10:10 PM Post #36
I have to agree with Ama, that the newer and avatar look fine, and everything else literally looks worse than not having anything at all there. (Can't say I agree with Mantis though, as I find that just as disappointing as everything else in that slot, and the male's 'tiara' thing doesn't look centered to me at all.)

I think Krin had the idea that it would be fun to mix and match antennae and wings, but that was more fun in theory, not fun in practice. Usually, it just makes them look disjointed, and worse for having a mutation. Not very ideal at all. I do not believe that such minor, tiny, pointless feeling mutations really are enough to carry the slot. They need something else going to make up for how boring the antennae are if it is to stay this way.

Combining antennae with a glowy particle effect to make it actually something someone might want on their pets might be a happy medium, even if I think most of these desperately need to be re-drawn with the concept you have to stare at them on their own as a mutation and actually feel happy with them at all in mind.
Amarok
Level 75
The Hallowed
Threads: 104
Posted: 10/5/2017 at 12:47 AM Post #37
Mmm,

Yeah now that its been brought up, I've discovered i'm reluctant to regen my 6 vis because the antenna don't have a lot of viable options for me...short of me regenning every single 6 vis with mantis antenna rofl - obviously that ain't gonna be ideal to have hundreds of lunes with mantis antenna. but...eh

In saying all this though I feel kinda bad for putting this out there because of all the changes already made. I think the lunes really got hit with the critique hammer hard even though they're one of the least popular species in the game. It's...interesting.
Edited By Amarok on 10/5/2017 at 12:50 AM.
Elimini
Level 66
Fright Master
Threads: 48
Posted: 10/5/2017 at 8:59 AM Post #38
I agree with Ama that the designs are underwhelming.

The body is still way too plump and it just doesn't look right at all, I feel like this needs to be a major fix and redraw instead of just slapping a mutation on it to slim it down. I much prefer the rounded end shape of the firefly mutation to the curled base.

The antennae are way too large and are too feather-like and the options for them are very underwhelming.

The mid-section of the body where the massive tufts of fur are... I can't even. I hate this so so much even still. The traits for this section are impossible to like because they don't sit well on it making them almost pointless to put on. Especially Leopard. It looks like the top half and the bottom half are of two entirely different creatures and just don't match at all. I feel as thought the fur could be much more subtle and slimmer. It makes it impossible to see the full beauty of Lunar Garb. The only thing I really like accompanying it has to be the Mantis wings.

The ladybug wings are better but I still feel are still just... no. The under wing area is just too large. I feel as though you were trying to go in more of an anatomically correct redrawing but missed the mark on a small scale.

The firefly mutation just looks worse now. It's arguably my favorite mutation for the Lune's and now I would be willing to scramble all of mine with it just to get rid of it. It looks less like a firefly bottom and looks more like armor. There are no other armor looking pieces for the Lune so why all of a sudden is this happening?? The redraw makes it look so displaced.

The base wings really irritate me even still and I feel like this needs to be a major fix. They look puffy and not flat at all. If the idea is to make them look more like moths or even butterflies or really any insect, they need to look flatter and have a design that is similar to one or some of these insects. The overall look of them is just very unfair and unflattering.

I totally agree with Zelly on the antennae and wing combinations having been fun in theory and (echoing her sentiment because I am in full agreeance) they do indeed look disjointed. I feel like most of them look like a mess once applied to the Lune.

I really think the Lune's need a full and proper redraw. With this community poll option, why not just have photos as poll options and have people vote on what they want between x amount of body, head, arm, wing options? They really look like a hodge-podge project with mix-and-match this-and-that and literally nothing looks cohesive put together.
Edited By Elimini on 10/5/2017 at 9:03 AM.
Elise
Level 75
The Artistic
Threads: 99
Posted: 10/5/2017 at 10:19 AM Post #39
Personally, I find all those recent tweaks to be improvements - especially the firefly mutation!

However.

That lunemara revamp has been, from the get go, plagued by misshaps... I don't think they should be worked on anymore for now, just to give the creators' minds a rest and a much needed step back.... At this point, messing with it more is counterproductive. It might need a re-draw - but not now. Some distance is needed. Maybe after the lupora revamp - or after a few other species' revamps.

It might be a good idea to do revamp revisions at some point for both the lunemara and the vulnyx - I mention the vulnyx because it's the only revamp where the community did not have any input at all (that had caused some upset, I remember). IMHO it needs as many adjustments as the lune.

This being said, you guys are doing great work, keep it up!
Savynn
Level 75
Sweet Solver
Threads: 214
Posted: 10/5/2017 at 2:43 PM Post #40
Overall I do like the new edit changes. I like the firefly mutation much more now. I agree that the plating looks a bit unusual but I do like the side detail where there's the slit going up a bit. I'm very thankful for the change to avatar wings. They look so much better now!

The antennae are still one of the things that I don't tend to like with the lunes. I feel like I'll have a lot of 5vis lunes. The default antennae are the best in my opinion. I sometimes like the avatar ones though. I kinda wonder if the floating parts make some of the antennae look jumbled, too, like with the forest spirit antennae. Maybe what could help would be some other color coming into play on some of this. I'll try to explain with a randomized lunemara below.

It took me a while to realize what was even going on with these antennae because the crescent parts are the same color as the rest. It just made things look jumbled to me. So below is a version that I tried coloring in the crescent part and the little inner antennae separately. I think this creates more visual contrast so it's easier to actually make out the lineart.

I do wish that the vulnyx along with the qitari would be revisited in the future. I think both could benefit from additional layering at the very least. I know some people miss the more slim look of the original vulnyx. From what I understand they were always meant to be sabretooth cat looking sylesties; however, I do think it would be great once more species are introduced for us to have a more domestic cat-like species to fill the void that was felt by some after the changes.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.