Forum Index > Q&A (Newbie Friendly) > Breeding Hidden Traits
Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Anemochory
Level 75
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 156
Posted: 7/21/2017 at 8:52 PM Post #1
Just a few questions about hiddens. How do they interact when breeding? If I breed a pet with a carried trait to a pet with the same trait hidden, will the hidden show itself, or the vis? What about breeding a vis to a hidden? Or do you need to breed a hidden to a hidden? I hope that makes sense. Also, some odds or percentages of the likelihood of a vis or carry would be nice to have. (Basically, I just still don't know how hiddens work. Breeding is complicated. XP)
Wander
Level 74
Trickster
Threads: 46
Posted: 7/22/2017 at 4:55 AM Post #2
It's all statistical. Perhaps an example?

You've got pet A that has mutation one as EF (E would be visible and F would be hidden)

You've got pet C that has mutation one as XF (F would be carried with no visible)

These are the outcomes from breeding A and C together:
XE
XF
EF
FF
(Approximately 25% each)

So in answer to your first question, breeding a pet with a hidden trait with a pet that has that same trait as a carried does not guarantee that the offspring will carry that trait (either as a carried, vis or hidden). That's not to say the hidden trait of A can't present itself as a visible, it just depends which of E or F A happens to contribute to that particular breeding.

Then you've got pet D that has mutation two as AE (A would be visible and E would be hidden)

You've also got pet F that has mutation two as EE (E would be visible)

These are the outcomes from breeding D and F together:
AE
EE
(Approximately 50%)

As F will always contribute E, you're always guaranteed to have E to show in the offspring (as a visible or hidden) but given that D will contribute A 50% of the time and E 50% of the time, you've got a 50 / 50 chance of E become visible.

Thheeeeennnn you've got pet G that has mutation three as AC (A would be visible and C would be hidden)

You've also got pet I that has mutation three as BC (B would be visible and C would be hidden)

These are the outcomes from breeding G and I together:
AB
AC
BC
CC
(Approximately 25%)

Both G and I have a 50 / 50 chance of contributing C but given that they both have the chance the chance of getting C somewhere in the offspring is higher (as a hidden again or a visible) but is not guaranteed as G has the chance to contribute A only and I has the chance to contribute B only.

I did think of one other permutation where there is no commonality between the traits:

You have pet J that has mutation three as AC (A would be visible and C would be hidden)

You also have pet L that has mutation three as BF (B would be visible and F would be hidden)

These are the outcomes from breeding J and L together:
AB
AF
BC
CF
(Approximately 25%)

If you were seeking the C hidden as a visible, the only way this could occur would be for pet L to contribute F which would hide under C. At the same time, you run the risk that J and L will both contribute A and B (their dominant traits) respectively which would leave you with neither hidden in the offspring. F can't become visible, it can only been a hidden as there is nothing in the "gene pool" it is dominant to.

Hopefully that makes things a little clearer? Let me know if I can clarify anything?

Edit: To tweak something.
Edited By Wander on 7/22/2017 at 4:59 AM.
Anemochory
Level 75
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 156
Posted: 7/22/2017 at 7:42 AM Post #3
Thank you, that does help a lot! The examples make it a lot easier for me to understand. (It's still a little complicated, but that's probably because I'm really bad at math. :P) I'll definitely be referring back to this!
Wander
Level 74
Trickster
Threads: 46
Posted: 7/24/2017 at 8:49 AM Post #4
You're welcome.

If it helps, the way I always think of it is like this:

25% combination

Apple has mutation one as EF
Carrot has mutation one as XF

If Apple contributes E (50% chance), Carrot could contribute X (50% chance) or F (50% chance)
This gives two different options:
EX and EF

Given there's a 50% chance Apple will contribute E and a 50% chance of Carrot contributing X, the calculation would be 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25 = 25% chance of EX combination
Given there's a 50% chance Apple will contribute E and a 50% chance of Carrot contributing F, the calculation would be 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25 = 25% chance of EF combination

Alternatively, Apple could contribute F (50% chance) and, as above, Carrot could contribute X (50% chance) or F (50% chance)
This gives two different options:
FX and FF

Given there's a 50% chance Apple will contribute F and a 50% of Carrot contributing X, the calculation would be 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25 = 25% chance of FX combination
Given there's a 50% chance Apple will contribute F and a 50% of Carrot contributing F, the calculation would be 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25 = 25% chance of FF combination

As a check and balance 4 combinations at 25% chance each 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 1
The total of the combinations should always equal 1

50% combination

Durian has mutation two as AE
Feijoa has mutation two as EE

If Durian contributes A (50% chance), Feijoa will contribute E (100% chance given that Feijoa is pure EE)
This gives one option:
AE

Given there's a 50% chance Durian will contribute A and a 100% chance of Feijoa contributing E, the calculation would be 0.5 x 1 = 0.5 = 50% chance of AE combination

Alternatively, Durian could contribute E (50% chance) and, as above, Feijoa will contribute E (100% chance given that Feijoa is pure EE)
This gives one option:
EE

Given there's a 50% chance Durian will contribute E and a 100% chance of Feijoa contributing E, the calculation would be 0.5 x 1 = 0.5 = 50% chance of EE combination

As a check and balance 2 combinations at 50% chance each 0.5 + 0.5 = 1
The total of the combinations should always equal 1
Scathreoite
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Threads: 83
Posted: 7/24/2017 at 4:18 PM Post #5
dunno if it's needed now, but we answered an FAQ about Hiddens (and their inheritance) a bit ago here

This Page loaded in 0.009 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.