Forum Index > Suggestion Box > Searching for Pets
Page 2 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Playerxyz
Level 60
Aspiring Gladiator
Threads: 4
Posted: 7/10/2017 at 10:31 AM Post #11
have you considered how many of these queries are caused by exactly the missing search parameters?

compare one search for a pet with that parameter - I find the pet I need, I breed, I move on. database has one user less to deal with

versus

I search and find nothing on page 1 - go on to page 2 (database being kept busy again) - search page 3

way, way later page 45... way later page 145

and so on.

I give up and some time later come back to repeat the process.

again
and again.

have you considered how many useless queries this lack of a search parameter -causes-
or in other words - how many of them would be saved by a fix?
Krinadon
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,117
Posted: 7/10/2017 at 10:49 AM Post #12
It's all about avoiding bottlenecking, not necessarily total quantity. As I said, the server can handle ~9,000 requests in the time it might take to process just one single query of a complicated search. Now, if 5 people just happen to be searching around at the same time, the database would not be able to handle that while still processing every other players' requests to those tables.

And it's not just about hitting the 'Search' button, either. The search only returns 5 pets at a time. Each time you change pages, it has to do the search again and figure out which 5 to display.

And, atm, the search already is problematic for causing bottlenecks. It is as inefficient as I am willing to allow. Sometimes the Site will run into bottlenecks and start causing like 2-3x slower load times for all users and it's almost 100% caused by someone or multiple people putting through complicated search queries and the pet tables getting locked up trying to process them all. Since just about anything you 'do' on the Site involves the pet tables - it creates bottlenecks.
Playerxyz
Level 60
Aspiring Gladiator
Threads: 4
Posted: 7/10/2017 at 11:04 AM Post #13
But this:

"And it's not just about hitting the 'Search' button, either. The search only returns 5 pets at a time. Each time you change pages, it has to do the search again and figure out which 5 to display."

is exactly what I meant in my post above.

Every single time I and any other player who searches for stats goes through the hundreds of pages -causes- exactly the queries that could be avoided by a fix.

You're using this to explain why a fix now supposedly can't be done, while I am trying to explain why these queries are caused in probably a pretty nice percentage by exactly the missing search parameter.

How many queries do I as just a single player have caused today, what do you think, when I went through app 150 pages of pets searching for the one to breed with?

All of them avoidable ones.
Krinadon
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Site Administrator
Posted: 7/10/2017 at 12:21 PM Post #14
I mean, I don't know how else to say it. =P

A database can't support unindexed searches on tables with over 3 million entries.

I can't add anymore indexes because we already have the most I can sustainably have per table.

I can't fix the root problem until I rebuild our database structure from scratch, which I will begin after the MZ is released.
Sabon
Level 60
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 5
Posted: 7/18/2017 at 6:24 AM Post #15
Could it just be an organise by highest and lowest total stats?

Like Stats, ascending, descending. Similar to the breeding fee and sale price?

Just the total stats, I don't think anything else is needed as I personally love looking through the pets available.
Krinadon
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Site Administrator
Posted: 7/18/2017 at 3:56 PM Post #16
Unfortunately, no. In order to sort, every pet within the search result has to be parsed and ordered before returning the results - otherwise the results don't know which 5 pets to display.

And I have no way to efficiently process all of that data.

Specifically, for example, let's say you were to run a search that parsed through 10,000 pets and you wanted to know which of those have the highest, total stats.

Well, in order to know which are the top 5, it'd have to run through and check all 10,000 results first and calculate and sort them in order. And since I don't have an efficient way of doing that through the database, I can't really implement such a feature.

The way the search works now, is it takes your parameters and builds a big complicated query to send to the database. The database then does all the work and returns the 5 pets it's supposed to display. Then the search gathers all of the detailed information for those 5 pets and builds the results and returns them.

And as I was saying earlier, I can't add more parameters because the database is not structured to handle any other parameters at this time. I would have to completely change how the database is setup in order to accommodate that. Unfortunately, that is not a feasible option at this time.
Imperium
Level 75
Guardian
Threads: 386
Posted: 7/18/2017 at 8:17 PM Post #17
"honestly,

this answer is more than just surprising.

stats are a quite relevant part of this game.

pets needs stats to fight, players need fighting pets to get through the story line (that's the core of this game now isn't it) - they want and need stats if they want to battle in the arena, they breed for stats..."

Just wanted to point out from this statement, stat breeding didn't pick up until just a couple of years ago where as the advanced search option was updated before the decision that the site need to be recoded and well before stat breeding became a common thing, so during the implementation of the new search feature, it's really not that surprising that stats weren't very relevant during it's update. There were most likely less than a handful of players breeding for stats at that time and they were very quiet about it and the bulk of the players who were on at the time didn't even realize that stat breeding was a potential option or goal for their game.

Stats are now a very big thing, especially ever since the original announcement for the megazone was dropped. When the site revamp does come and the search does get updated, with the boost in popularity that stat breeding has had, the new option of increased stat items during exclusive pet creation during events, the increased use of the arena as well as the battle aspect of the game being brought further into play, it's pretty clear that stats will end up on the search parameters. :) For now though, we have a player hosted directory until that happens of players that do stat breed. Using those players names to find stat based pets in the search should help you find better breeding or buying options.
Edited By Imperium on 7/18/2017 at 8:17 PM.
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.010 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.