Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Suggestion Box > Searching for Pets
Page 1 1, 2 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Simplesadie
Level 60
Threads: 23
Posted: 4/28/2017 at 4:32 PM Post #1
In the Advanced Search for Pets option, could we have a section to search by base stats? Say searching for health anywhere from 700-2000, or something along those lines? It would help a lot with trying to build a perfect stat pet.
Edited By Simplesadie on 4/28/2017 at 4:32 PM.
Dial
Level 75
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 35
Posted: 4/29/2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2
yeah, i agree with this. there's been a few times where i've been searching for pets to buy and i always look for the one with the highest stats, and right now there's not rlly a way to compare them efficiently or refine your search.
Dragonnadder
Level 71
Nature Walker
Threads: 32
Posted: 5/1/2017 at 1:56 PM Post #3
Fully agreed! I'm working on a max-stat right now as well, and it would be a huge help.
Snowcrystal
Level 61
Threads: 175
Posted: 5/7/2017 at 3:09 AM Post #4
i agree as well. i think there should something to click on if you're searching for regenerable pets or no too. Also, maybe searching for a specific color as well
Edited By Snowcrystal on 5/18/2017 at 5:49 PM.
Scathreoite
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Threads: 83
Posted: 5/7/2017 at 10:12 PM Post #5
We've mentioned something similar a few times in chat, because we think it'd be a great addition to the Search function.
Maybe the ability to search pets by the Base Stat Total of Str/Int/Dex/Agi or the average of their base stats, or just, yeah, the ability to set a stat range of a given stat.
Krinadon
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,117
Posted: 6/24/2017 at 8:16 AM Post #6
Search parameters are pretty much capped atm. Adding anymore would cause further performance issues.

So new parameters will have to wait until we revamp everything.
Playerxyz
Level 60
Aspiring Gladiator
Threads: 4
Posted: 7/9/2017 at 11:57 PM Post #7
honestly,

this answer is more than just surprising.

stats are a quite relevant part of this game.

pets needs stats to fight, players need fighting pets to get through the story line (that's the core of this game now isn't it) - they want and need stats if they want to battle in the arena, they breed for stats...

so how is it possible that even after years of existence of this game, players have to go page by page - through hundreds of pages - searching for that pet that they should be able to find with a simple entry in the search field?

they can search for genes but no stats, seriously?

this is not a mainly looks related game... so if stats were implemented, where are they in the search mask?

the explanation is one that feels strange thinking that I have not seen a game where stats are implemented but you can't search for them. can't think of one.
so if all others get this done, why is it missing here?

I am right now weeding through hundreds and hundreds of pages of pets just because this search field is missing and frankly, I am not amused.
Krinadon
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Site Administrator
Posted: 7/10/2017 at 7:17 AM Post #8
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=46007&page=1#7
Author: Playerxyz
Time Posted: 7/9/2017 at 11:57 PM
honestly,

this answer is more than just surprising.

stats are a quite relevant part of this game.

pets needs stats to fight, players need fighting pets to get through the story line (that's the core of this game now isn't it) - they want and need stats if they want to battle in the arena, they breed for stats...

so how is it possible that even after years of existence of this game, players have to go page by page - through hundreds of pages - searching for that pet that they should be able to find with a simple entry in the search field?

they can search for genes but no stats, seriously?

this is not a mainly looks related game... so if stats were implemented, where are they in the search mask?

the explanation is one that feels strange thinking that I have not seen a game where stats are implemented but you can't search for them. can't think of one.
so if all others get this done, why is it missing here?

I am right now weeding through hundreds and hundreds of pages of pets just because this search field is missing and frankly, I am not amused.

It is 100% a database issue.

So, when you use the advanced search and select parameters, the server is building a query or series of queries to use to search the database (of over 3 million entries) to find what you're looking for and display it how you're wanting to see it.

When you do a query for specific things, like say, a specific species. That column has to be indexed on a table that large otherwise it will take literally 5-10 seconds to give the results. When you index a column, the database basically considers that column "special" and gives it special treatment. If you do that same search but on an indexed column, it takes a fraction of a second.

The problem though, is you can't index every column. The more that you index, the less good indexing does. It has to be set up properly and the data has to be dispersed enough so that you can basically have everything indexed across many, many tables.

Unfortunately, our database for pets isn't set up that way. There really isn't a way to update or change it at this time as the best option would be to rebuild everything from scratch... which is exactly why I intend on doing just that after the MZ is released.

If I were to add parameters to search for everything and also specific stats, the database would essentially break from trying to handle dozens or hundreds of these super, super long queries non stop. Even now, there are some searches you can do that take the database literally like 3+ seconds to find the results. That is an eternity for a database. Anything over a tenth of a second is unacceptable. Anything over a few hundredths of a second is bad.

I hope this helps to explain why I can't just simply add more parameters to the advanced search and why we intend on rebuilding Sylestia from the ground up to improve performance, efficiency, and capabilities.

Edit: As a specific example. I performed a search directly in the database to search for Qitaries with Base Str above 50 and with G1 set to AA and this was the result:

11 Results. Query took 2.0431 sec

I then ran the same query but removed the stat search as the other two are indexed columns:

4634 Results. Query took 0.0026 sec

The first query, for 0.24% of the results it took 78,580% longer to parse.
Edited By Krinadon on 7/10/2017 at 7:25 AM.
Playerxyz
Level 60
Aspiring Gladiator
Threads: 4
Posted: 7/10/2017 at 7:32 AM Post #9
adding -one- search parameter would suffice as a temporary solution until the search revamp.
many players who breed for stats don't breed for one only so having at least one stat you can search would help a lot.

we're talking tens of a second for a database... versus hours and hours and hours and hours (proceed because I mean this literally... hours and hours...) of searching.

let me just quickly walk you through the process:

you are searching for a breeding mate with specific stats for your pet.

then you select the species,
select "offspring" to at least raise the chance to find pets bred for stats a tiny bit,
select the gender and whether recovering or not...

and then you have hundreds and hundreds of pages of results that you can only go through

one

by

one.

this is not playable anymore at this point.

now at that point a player might think "OK I forget about the pet search... this is useless... - maybe someone has high stats pets offered for breeding that they are advertising in the forum" only to find out that there is no dedicated forum for this (only breeding discussion where you again have to go through pages and pages of posts one by one to find a breeding offer among all those project descriptions - and even if you find one it will sure be not the species you're searching for)

and then you find out that surprise! there is no forum search either.
Krinadon
Level 75
Guardian of the Realm
Site Administrator
Posted: 7/10/2017 at 10:24 AM Post #10
I understand your frustration and I do have a planned solution for it.

But as I said, there isn't anything that I can do about it at this present time.

The Database handles literally hundreds of queries every single second of every single day. These are the statistics just for this morning of a relatively inactive, slow morning that included downtime:

Queries per hour: 519,647
Queries per minute: 8,661
Queries per second: 144

During peak time or during a busy Festival, etc... it's even way more active.

It can handle 144 queries a second because each query is typically a few ten-thousandths of a second long. That's 0.0003 seconds. This would allow the database to handle up to over 3,000 queries per second. This means that when you and a hundred other players are doing something on the Site, the server can handle and process all of that and send all of the data in just one single second or less.

Now if I give access to players doing 3-5+ second queries... instead of the database able to do 3,000 queries per second, it's now only able to do 1/3 of a query per second... or operate 9,000x slower. This would cause bottlenecks in the database, bottlenecks on the hard drives, and bottlenecks on the CPU. This would result in all players getting lagged out and/or eventually the Apache server unable to handle all of the stagnant requests and crash.

It just is not a technically feasible solution. Databases aren't meant to process hundreds of players doing dozens of things every second of everyday if those 'things' are taking multiple seconds per thing. It just won't work.

And that's why additional parameters haven't been added to the search and why I can't add them at this time.

I'm sorry, but there's just nothing I can do about it. =\
Edited By Krinadon on 7/10/2017 at 10:24 AM.
Go to Page:
1, 2
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.