Forum Index > Find Roleplayers > The Island of Despairing Spirits
Page 1 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Tragicomic
Level 26
Threads: 5
Posted: 2/11/2017 at 3:07 PM Post #1
The Island of Despairing Spirits

Read everything before making a character or trying to join. I know it's a lot, but if you really wanna do this, you'll read it.

Story

The island was inhabited by only Sylestis. They had created countries, government, and society. Then disaster stuck. The disease was airborne, first hitting the colonies of Lunemara in the country of Arknord. The disease spread wherever they flew, infecting mostly everyone. The disease first cause weakness, confusion, hallucinations, and fevers, and then paralyzed the victim. This stopped the confusion completely, leaving them hopeless with their mind completely intact. Once the disease reached this stage, it was terminal. Death took up to a week, depending where it overtook the victims. Mostly they starved to death paralyzed, other times they drowned.
Only a few were resistant to this terrible disease: mutated Sylestis. Those with genes that appeared on their fur or skin, those with strange wings and tails and horns survived. They simply didn't fall into the second stage of the disease, instead recovering from fevers and hallucinations. This didn't mean they didn't die, however. There was still a risk of accidentally dying during the violent, frightening hallucinations, or dying during the fever. But, unlike common Sylestis, the rare ones have a fighting chance at survival.
The survivors recreated their now shaky government, thinking now that all the common ones were dead, they'd be able to eventually bring their three great countries to their former glory. They were wrong.
Little did they know, the disease attached itself to the spiritual matter in the air and in the victims it claimed. Over the course of a year, not only did it bring back the all the spirits of those it had claimed, but also Sylestis that had been dead up to thousands of years ago. They remembered every moment up until their death. To them, it felt like only the blink of an eye between death and their resurrection: nothing in between. The spirits were sorted into two classes by the living: ghosts and poltergeists. The arrival of these spirits would change the course of history on the island forever.

Ghosts

Ghost Sylestis, when brought back as spirits, range from neutral to filled with a desire to help the struggling living Sylestis. Their known powers are possession of living Sylestis, turning invisible, teleportation, and phasing through solid objects, though range and type of powers vary. They almost always help and protect living Sylestis.

Important Information:

- Ghost Sylestis must have blue eyes at the highest intensity, similar to this color or this color. They can be any color of blue, they just must be at the highest intensity (color slider at the top right).

- Ghost Sylestis that have pretty or spiritual ghost, spirit, or ethereal mutations, designs, and runes are highly encouraged and recommended.

- Just because they are ghosts doesn't mean they are limited to Ryori. Ghost Sylestis can be any species.

- The cause of death if the Sylesti died recently is almost always the disease.

- Ghosts and Poltergeists can kill each other in battles.

- The Ghosts are tangible to other sylestis, ghosts, and poltergeists, because each contains a spirit. However, they aren't tangible to the environment unless they concentrate on it, such as opening a door. For example, they don't make footprints in sand or mud. This also makes it so they can move very quietly, since they don't rustle grass or leaves or have to breathe.

- Ghosts can change into Poltergeists, but this change is irreversible and must be triggered by some event (Ex: trauma, death of a friend or lover, etc.). You'll have to update your character with appropriate eye color, too.

- Remember that Ghosts don't have to help the living. Yours can be a natural observer, or even help a Poltergeist instead if you wish. Just remember they are benevolent, otherwise they'd have been resurrected as a Poltergeist, not a Ghost.

Ghost Sylesti Character Form:

Picture:
Name:
How long they've been dead:
Cause of death:
Personality:
Backstory:
Powers (they can vary from the powers listed if you ask me first):
Anything else you'd like to add:

Poltergeists

Poltergeist Sylestis, when brought back as spirits, range from neutral to filled with a desire to kill Sylestis and steal their bodies so they may live again. Some may feel reluctant or guilty for their actions, some may even enjoy it. Their known powers are possession of living Sylestis, turning invisible, teleportation, and phasing through solid objects, though range and type of powers vary. They often fight with Ghosts and living Sylestis.

Important Information:

- Poltergeist Sylestis must have red, pink, or orange eyes at the highest intensity, similar to this color or this color. They can be any color of red, pink, or orange, they just must be set to the highest intensity.

- Poltergeist Sylestis that have creepy or elegant ghost, spirit, or ethereal mutations, designs, and runes are highly encouraged and recommended.

- Just because they are dead doesn't mean they are limited to Ryori. Poltergeist Sylestis can be any species.

- The cause of death if the Sylesti died recently is almost always the disease.

- Ghosts and Poltergeists can kill each other in battles.

- The Poltergeists are tangible to other sylestis, ghosts, and poltergeists, because each contains a spirit. However, they aren't tangible to the environment unless they concentrate on it, such as opening a door. For example, they don't make footprints in sand or mud. This also makes it so they can move very quietly, since they don't rustle grass or leaves or have to breathe.

- Poltergeists can change into Ghosts, but this change is irreversible and must be triggered by some event (Ex: trauma, death of a friend or lover, etc.). You'll have to update your character with appropriate eye color, too.

- Keep in mind that just because a Poltergeist's end goal is to kill a living, they aren't necessarily evil. Just because their intentions are malevolent doesn't mean they themselves are. Some may prefer to befriend a Sylesti before betraying them. Some feel extremely guilty for their actions but believe them necessary. Some believe themselves completely right in their actions and would kill without hesitation. Poltergeist are extremely complicated spirits. It all depends on how you create their personality, character, and backstory.

Poltergeist Sylesti Character Form:

Picture:
Name:
How long they've been dead:
Cause of death:
Intend to become Living or Undead?
Personality:
Backstory:
Powers (may vary from listed powers with permission):

Living

The Living are Sylestis that survived the disease because of their genes and mutations. They can grow sick with the disease again, but it is not a death sentence. They've created a shaky government in the city of Serkilk, and have formed a small team trying to get to the other end of the island where the capital of science, Irgork, is. Some Living are living on their own in the country and forest, unknowing of the government's plan to find a cure in Igork. Like any normal character, Living can look and act however you wish. They don't have requirements like ghosts or poltergeists.

- Because of the magical nature of Sylestis, Living can have powers. However, they must be related to the Sylesti's genes and mutations. For example, a Sylesti with a mutation that gives them flowers could have a power to make plants grow. A Zolnixi with the frost gene could have the ability to freeze water.

- A Living character's Role is what they're doing as a job. If your living character isn't living in a settlement and doesn't have a role assigned to them by the government, just put "Survivor."

- A living can have up to two roles.

- Roles include Explorer (exploring to look for a cure and more living), Scientist (research ghosts, poltergeists, and possible cures for the disease), Guard (protects and guards settlements from poltergeists with ghosts), Leader (a Sylesti elected to help lead the settlement, can be more than one) and Citizen (no special jobs, but just lives in the settlement). There are also Children.

- Citizens, Survivors, and Children can gain new roles. Anyone can change their role, but keep it within reason. Don't change a role just because you feel like it.

Living Sylesti Charcter Form:

Picture:
Name:
Role:
Personality:
Backstory:
Power(s):

Possession

Note: The words spirit and soul are used interchangeably. The most important parts of this section are labeled in bold.

- Possession of Sylestis varies from Ghost to Poltergeist. Ghosts must ask a Slyesti for permission before they can possess them, and the success of possession depends on the compatibility and friendship between the two. Poltergeists use forced possession, which has a lower success rate that gets higher if the Sylesti is friends with the Poltergeist, or if the target is injured, asleep, or dying.

- Possession is very painful at first. The target Sylesti's spirit is usually ripped or injured while making room for a second spirit. This rip or injury of the soul heals over time once possession is over. Once fully possessed, the target Sylesti's pain receptors are shut off by the possesser, ending any pain they feel from the soul or body. Both parties can mentally communicate with whoever is possessing them, giving them suggestions and information.

- Both parties can take turns giving control of the body to one another, but if one refuses to give up control, a soul battle might start.

- If a Sylesti no longer wants to be possessed, they can start to struggle. Struggling reopens pain receptors for both parties. Usually a Ghost will leave the body immediately if a Sylesti starts to struggle, but a Poltergeist will usually fight for control. The two souls get into a fight over control of the single body, which causes a seizure in the body as the souls are fighting. They could theoretically fight forever, as a soul cannot die while it is inside a body. Whoever wins is whoever can deal with the pain the longest.

- Eventually, unable to deal with the pain any longer, one spirit will submit control to another. When they do this, they are completely at the other's mercy. The dominant soul can kick the other out, whether or not they were the original owner of the body, but this is not required. If a Poltergeist or Ghost loses a spirit battle and are kicked out, they will remain in extreme pain until they heal. Depending on the amount of pain, they can be helpless for a very short amount of time and can be banished back to the spirit world forever, theoretically "dying." If the original body's owner loses the battle and are kicked out, they become a Ghost if they accept their death or a Poltergeist if they intend to kill in order to get their body back.

- During a soul fight, both souls will injure the other. Claws and rips in a soul are painful on their own, and multiple will often cause a soul to submit involuntarily. One good hit on the opposing soul is often enough to win the battle. However, once the battle is over, a soul heals very quickly.

- If a Poltergeist succeeds in taking a body and being the only soul inside it, they become Living. Their body now looks like whichever body they possessed. Remember that Ghosts will not do this.

- Some Poltergeists intend to become the dominant soul in the body at all times rather than kicking out and killing the body's original owner. In this case, both souls will be healed and the two become Undead. Undead are living with two souls inside them. The dominant soul controls the body, while the losing soul can make suggestions and talk to the dominant soul. They both share control of the body's speech. The losing soul can challenge for control again if they wish.

Map of the Island

C O M I N G S O O N

Rules

1. You must have generally good grammar skills and put at least three sentences in each time you roleplay.

2. You may have up to four characters. You can distribute these however you like among the different races. You may also use restricted traits for your characters. Any species is allowed.

3. Don't get attached to your characters, because killing and taking them is allowed. However, you must ask someone for permission to kill their character.

4. If your character dies, you can make another character to take his/her place. However, remember that you might want an open character slot, because of reason stated in the next rule.

5. You must have permission to take someone's character through possession. If you take someone's character through possession, it counts as one of your characters. You can only take someone's character through possession if you have two or less characters, because otherwise you'd go over the character limit.

6. No Mary Sues or Gary Sues, or perfect characters. Your character must have fears or flaws, which you can put under the "Personality" or sometimes "Backstory" section of the form. Also, don't try to make the story all about you by making your character the "Chosen One" or something like that.

7. Romance is allowed, but nothing beyond kissing or cuddling.

8. Gore is allowed if you put a warning. After all, this is a pretty dark roleplay. Cursing is also allowed.

9. I may add, remove, or change rules as I deem fit.

10. Ping me when you're done with your character so I can approve or reject them.
Edited By Tragicomic on 2/23/2017 at 5:50 PM.
Kromma
Level 32
Threads: 0
Posted: 2/11/2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2
This sounds like it has serious potential and I'm absolutely enthralled with the story already! Well I'm going to start with a living and a ghost

Picture:
Name: Vilas
Role: Survivor
Personality: Before her brother's death she was bright and cheerful and never backed down to a challenge, but now she's rather timid and quiet and prefers to be alone
Backstory: Vilas lived in the forest with her older brother for as long as she could remember. Nothing bothered them there, as the forest had no large predators, or large animals at all. It was a peaceful existence, living off the land and only going into town when absolutely necessary. Her brother, on the other hand, had someone he fancied in town, and so he took any excuse to go. When her brother fell ill after a trip into town, she assumed he had just caught some city virus and didn't think much of it, it was just a fever after all. But then it got worse and worse and never better until he was completely paralyzed. The hallucinations were what killed him. As Vilas walked inside the house carrying a bushel of herbs, she saw him on the floor, not breathing, and with a note in his hand.
Power(s): Vilas is able to speed up plant growth a bit
Anything else you'd like to add: She lost a lot of confidence when her brother died and often blames herself for his death.
The flowers that grow around her body slightly change with her emotions. For example, when she's very happy, they glow a bit, when she's angry, they slightly wilt, when she's sad, they close and look like buds.

Picture:
Name: Zerial
How long they've been dead: Three years
Cause of death: Disease's hallucinations
Personality: Sweet and gentle and acts like a brother to pretty much everyone
Backstory: When his parents died (Not of the disease, it was other causes) the responsibility of his younger sister fell to him. Luckily for her, she was very young and never remembered them. For Zerial however, he missed his parents dearly everyday, but had fond memories. The sibling continues to live in the same house for years, rarely going into town. Until one day, Zerial met an attractive young Luffox and immediately took a liking to her, and from then on going into town much more often. The last time he saw her, she was sick with a high fever. That was the last time he went into town before his death.
Power(s): invisibility for a few hours at a time, and passing through solid objects as long as they aren't very thick; up to three or four feet wide.
Anything else you'd like to add: I tried to make him look ghosty, but I don't think I did very well, sorry. This is how he looked before death
Edited By Kromma on 2/16/2017 at 5:12 PM.
Tragicomic
Level 26
Posted: 2/11/2017 at 6:04 PM Post #3
Your characters are gorgeous, exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. They're both accepted, I'll add them to the character list right away.
Edited By Tragicomic on 2/11/2017 at 6:06 PM.
Kromma
Level 32
Posted: 2/11/2017 at 6:14 PM Post #4
That's a relief. I sometimes get carried away and make things overly complicated and end up contradicting myself.
Tragicomic
Level 26
Posted: 2/11/2017 at 6:16 PM Post #5
As soon as I fill out my three character's forms, we can start the roleplay, if you like. I already had them made, I just hadn't filled out the form because I wanted to see if someone would join first.
Kromma
Level 32
Posted: 2/11/2017 at 6:18 PM Post #6
Sounds good to me. I do have a question though, should my two start out together? Or is there a certain place that Zerial would be instead of where he died?
Tragicomic
Level 26
Posted: 2/11/2017 at 6:30 PM Post #7
Picture:
Name: Luciana, sometimes goes by Luci
How long they've been dead: 2 years
Cause of death: Another colony member killed her after she became feverish
Personality: Luciana firmly believes in hard work, and thinks that if she helps out the living, they will recover eventually. She mourns the loss of her colony, but tries to work hard to keep her mind off of it. She's very social and friendly and tries to make and keep a lot of friends. However, she often overworks herself and is prone to ignoring serious problems and bottles emotions in favor of positive thinking. She beats down any negative feelings and berates herself for thinking of her death, leading to a drop in self esteem.
Backstory: Luciana was a hardworking member of the Lunemara colony when the disease struck them first, and in the confusion, she watched helpless as friends, family, and people she'd known for years died. She volunteered to care for the sick and dying, which caused her to catch the disease. After a while, it became standard practice to kill those who became paralyzed since they figured out there was no hope for recovery. After growing ill, she joined the numbers of those whose throats were slit in their sleep, since there weren't enough Lunemara to keep caring for those who were paralyzed or feverish. When she was resurrected her first instinct was to help the living so they may become successful once more, and she ended up working as a messanger for one of the cities.
Powers: Teleportation, invisibility
Anything else you'd like to add: not yet, no.
Edited By Tragicomic on 2/11/2017 at 9:35 PM.
Tragicomic
Level 26
Posted: 2/11/2017 at 6:32 PM Post #8
The ghosts get resurrected near the spot where they died.
Tragicomic
Level 26
Posted: 2/11/2017 at 6:37 PM Post #9
I had to remove the character list because the posts have a 20,000 character limit. Any new roleplayers will just have to look through all these pages.
Kromma
Level 32
Posted: 2/11/2017 at 6:39 PM Post #10
Oh, goodness. Maybe you could put a character list on a separate post in the actual RP thread? And maybe only put the name, image, and personality of each character on it? Just a thought, not sure if it would work or how well, though.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
This Page loaded in 0.013 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.