Players 2,437 399
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,235,311 1,122
Generated 656,000 45
Captured 1,189,917 95
Bred 6,389,302 982
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Off-Topic Discussion > The Sylestia Movie Club!
Page 1 1, 2, 3 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Kyokai
Level 60
The Majestic
Threads: 53
Posted: 2/6/2017 at 6:38 PM Post #1
Welcome to the Sylestia Movie Club!

Anyone is welcome to join or participate. If you "Join" then that means you'll be pinged about the movie of the week.

The Goal:
Together, we will get to experience numerous movies and talk about them in depth.

I've always enjoyed watching and dissecting movies:
Why was this movie so interesting? Why did the director do this? Why were parts of the movie in black and white and others were in color? Were the flashbacks too numerous or did that aid in giving the viewer a feeling of discontent to better identify with the lead character?

There are some movies I wouldn't have watched if a friend had not suggested it and then it turns out I love the movie they suggested. That's what this is about. Sharing!

How it works:
Friday I will post a movie off of Netflix for any who wish to watch it. By the following Tuesday, the movie will be open to extensive discussion, including spoilers. Then Friday comes and I will post a new movie.

The Rules:
- Anyone is free to post a movie suggestion but it must be rated no higher than PG-13.
- Please no spoilers until the following Tuesday after a movie.
- Please put SPOILERS at the top of your post if it contains spoilers, in case people have not seen the movie yet.
- Must be from Netflix! (Okay, so it doesn't have to but that's what I'll be using)
- Please give a Star rating! (Like, 4/5)

I wont be pinging for Tuesday discussion as this isn't supposed to be like homework, its just fun to talk about details with others as sometimes other people help you understand or see something in a new way. That being said, if you really would like to be pinged for a discussion reminder, I'll make a separate pinglist.

Movie suggestions are welcome, even if they don't become the movie of the week.

Feel free to write whatever you felt about the movie but here are some general questions to get you started:

How many stars out of 5 would you rank this movie?
Did you like the movie?
What was your favorite part?
What did you think of the music / costumes / scenery / story / acting / lighting?

Edited By Kyokai on 2/6/2017 at 7:15 PM.
Kyokai
Level 60
The Majestic
Posted: 2/6/2017 at 6:38 PM Post #2
Current Movie of the Week:

3-10-17
The Great Gilly Hopkins (2016)

PG

Family

"12-year-old wisecracking Gilly Hopkins finds herself shuffled from foster home to foster home until she meets Maime Trotter."
Notes: Free on Netflix, available to rent on Amazon Prime, YouTube, and Vudu.

Fun fact: Another movie I'm going in blind. Haven't seen it, but I urge you guys to watch with me this week and tell me what you thought about it ^-^

Other fun fact: The cast looks pretty awesome. I love Kathy Bates and Glenn Close.

discussion begins 3-14-17
Edited By Kyokai on 3/11/2017 at 5:57 PM.
Kyokai
Level 60
The Majestic
Posted: 2/6/2017 at 6:38 PM Post #3
Past Movies of the Week and Ratings:

2-24-17
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

PG

Family, Sci-Fi

"A troubled child summons the courage to help a friendly alien escape Earth and return to his home world."
Notes: Not on Amazon Prime (sorry)

2-17-17
The Last Unicorn (1982)

G (Though some places I've seen it rated PG.)
--Mildest of language, some scary scenes

Animation, Fantasy, Adventure

"A brave unicorn and a magician search for more of her kind and fight an evil king who is obsessed with attempting to capture the world's unicorns."

Fun fact: This is based off a book. "In 1982 the novel was made into an animated film directed and produced by Rankin/Bass for ITC Entertainment, with a screenplay written by Beagle himself and animated by Topcraft (predecessor of Studio Ghibli)." -Wikipedia

I oft was surprised at how many Japanese names were in the animation credits. This makes sense now.

2-10-16
Trollhunter

PG-13
--Language, Mild Violence

Drama, Fantasy, Horror, Action / Adventure
Subtitles. Norwegian Audio

"A group of students investigates a series of mysterious bear killings, but learns that there are much more dangerous things going on. They start to follow a mysterious hunter, learning that he is actually a troll hunter."
Edited By Kyokai on 3/11/2017 at 5:48 PM.
Kyokai
Level 60
The Majestic
Posted: 2/6/2017 at 6:38 PM Post #4
User Suggested Movies:

The Giver PG-13
(Goldennautilusdreams)

Zootopia PG
(Jade07)

Radio PG (Not on Netflix, Free Streaming on Amazon Prime)
A Thousand Words PG-13 (Not on Netflix)
(Carrotbae)
Edited By Kyokai on 2/22/2017 at 11:01 PM.
Kyokai
Level 60
The Majestic
Posted: 2/6/2017 at 6:38 PM Post #5
Movie of the Week Pinglist:
Jade07, Carrotbae, Goldennautilusdreams

Tuesday Discussion Reminder Pinglist:
Edited By Kyokai on 2/22/2017 at 9:13 PM.
Awkwardmollusk
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 91
Posted: 2/6/2017 at 7:43 PM Post #6
May I suggest The Giver?
Kyokai
Level 60
The Majestic
Posted: 2/6/2017 at 7:46 PM Post #7
Oh interesting! I'm liking the cast line up and it sounds very interesting. I'm excited to watch~

Also surprised I have not seen this pop up for me. Perhaps I just overlooked it.

Thank you ^-^ looks like a great suggestion!
Awkwardmollusk
Level 70
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 91
Posted: 2/6/2017 at 7:49 PM Post #8
This is one of the few good movies based off a book.
Edited By Goldennautilusdreams on 2/6/2017 at 7:51 PM.
Kyokai
Level 60
The Majestic
Posted: 2/14/2017 at 5:35 PM Post #9
It's Tuesday so the movie of the week, Trollhunter, is open for discussion! Please put "SPOILERS" at the top of your post so people will know to skip if they have not seen it yet.

Tomorrow I will post my thoughts about the movie.

I hope everyone has a fun and safe Valentine's Day!
Kyokai
Level 60
The Majestic
Posted: 2/15/2017 at 7:45 PM Post #10
**SPOILERS**

After writing a nice long review.. I hit 'post' and I was no longer signed in so... Here I go again~

Trollhunter

I'm going to start by saying I really enjoyed this movie. It is in the popular category of a mock documentary or "mockumentary." I believe it's pretty difficult to make a movie like this to be done well. There are a great number of these movies because they are usually inexpensive to make, due to their "raw footage" nature. I've seen several mock documentary movies break character by switching from raw footage to a professional film crew and back and it's very irritating to me.

The variants in lighting was really neat: cave darkness, daytime, night, night vision, tundra daytime darkness... Lighting can help protect lesser quality graphics, but I don't think that was necessary in this movie.

The graphics were pretty good. It's hard to tell because the movement of the camera can filter out some of the more sketchy graphics, but they all looked high quality. And one of the neatest things was seeing the countryside! Norway is gorgeous! If you only watch this movie for the scenery, it's well worth it!

My favorite thing about this movie is the immersive fantasy that this movie brings to the table. There were so many types of trolls, and each of them made sense. I love how there was so much detail in the backstories and how it seemed possible. I mean, the older trolls would just turn to stone because their veins can't expand like the younger trolls, who just explode. I feel that the story was really well done and I enjoyed it greatly. If a sequel was made, I'd watch it with excitement!

So I'm probably the only one who has watched this movie on here, but it's really pretty good. Give it a shot! ^-^
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.