Author Thread Post
Luxa
Level 75
Threads: 85
Posted: 4/1/2022 at 7:53 PM Post #21
Name: Luxa / LuxaSaiko

Pronouns: she/her

Title: Unstable AF

Artist(s) You Like:So many on instagram and deviant art and toyhouse, but I am terrible with usernames, I need to make a list. Uhhhhh Aphelion

Pinglists ('General' by default): all

Other Platforms (Optional): https://linktr.ee/LuxaSaiko

Taking Commissions (Yes/No): commissions, no. Requests, yes. Pm me (I dont consider my art worth paying for yet)

Resources You Use (Optional): instagram! YouTube! Anime
Edited By Luxa on 4/24/2023 at 10:56 PM.
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Threads: 113
Posted: 4/2/2022 at 3:51 AM Post #22
Hello and welcome!

I'm flattered you chose me as an artist xD That said, that question wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list, just a handful of artists that come to mind!

I wish you luck in practicing and improving your art; one day you will definitely see that your art is worth paying for. Just you wait!
Luxa
Level 75
Threads: 85
Posted: 4/2/2022 at 10:50 AM Post #23
Alright then, with that knowledge, I can list some of my favorite instagram artists!
Ladowska
Par0llel
Masvinoir
Spac3kidd0
Puppypaww.art
Avilusol
Sasucchi95
Calladraws
Xyurlovax
I could list more, but ahhhh these are so good.
And thank you for your kind words!
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Posted: 4/14/2022 at 2:48 AM Post #24
Discussion: How do you draw jewelry?

For metal I just slap a bunch of gradient bars of varying shades and saturations (for gold, shades go red instead of just decreasing brightness) and then draw some sharper lines of highlights on top to call it a day. It looks... Alright? But it's also incredibly flat so the metal doesn't look like it's bending, or there's no shape to it.

I'm not sure how to do jewels. I use references a lot and try to copy the colours.

An artist that I really admire who does amazing jewelry is wlop - they are so skilled that they know how light works enough to convey incredibly complex jewelry through splotches of colour. From afar, everything looks so detailed, but up close, it's literally just blobs. Any idea whether there's any pattern in this kind of technique?
Echosing
Level 75
Trickster
Threads: 49
Posted: 4/14/2022 at 4:35 PM Post #25
I'm really, really not good at metal or gems(which is why you wont find me drawing either in most if not all of my work)

But, if I'm trying to draw jewelry I'm throwing colors around and shading and hoping it looks correct ^^;

But usually contrast makes things look better as you mentioned too about adding sharp lines to highlight, always a good go to - also the part of the metal closest to you if it has a sharp line it can follow is usually a good place to make much brighter, splits up the descending metal
Otherwise most metallic things I draw are super dull, hence the single image I can use for reference here, the below being how much detail/effort I usually apply in metal

For gems and such I color the same as people used to draw like super shiny anime eyes:

(will usually try to add contrasting colors in the shine, usually a color somewhere else in the picture but for the most part gems are something I also usually just mess around with colors and highlights till it looks presentable)

which not correct for the most part unless your gem is smooth but haven't put enough effort into following the tutorials for cut gems because they then look too realistic compared to the rest of my drawing because everything else does not match detail-wise anymore(that being, the gem will have too much detail and lighting compared to the rest of the art)

I'm not sure myself how to achieve super good looking jewelry with minimal detail but thought this looked useful:

(I know I've seen super detailed looking yet minimal looking jewelry tutorials before but right now cannot find them, might edit later)
CeruleanCrow
Level 75
High Warlord
Threads: 86
Posted: 4/14/2022 at 8:27 PM Post #26
I agree with Echosing on that bottom image, I use that technique religiously. Using darker tones of a hue isn't always the best, and so instead I shift the hue as well. This ESPECIALLY with jewelry, making the shades look ten leagues darker and vice versa for the lighting makes the shape look shinier and like metal.

As for gemstones, I have no reference for transparent gems but for Opaque ones I use a similar technique!

It looks funny up close but far away it looks much better :D

Imperium
Level 75
Guardian
Threads: 386
Posted: 4/18/2022 at 9:44 PM Post #27
Name: Imperium

Pronouns: Don't care

Your Cool Title: A Stick In The Mud

Artist(s) You Like: Amano (His first name got philtered out. xD )

Pinglists: General

Art Examples: Sylestia Gallery

Other Platforms: My Tumblr

Taking Commissions: No

Resources You Use: My collection of art reference books~ :)
Edited By Imperium on 4/18/2022 at 9:53 PM.
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Posted: 4/19/2022 at 4:36 AM Post #28
Hello and welcome! Oh boy am I glad to have you here - I love your sketchy, elegant style. It reminds me of the sketchbooks of the old masters :)

I'm trying to link your tumblr on the members list but it keeps on showing 'TEMPLINKREPLACE', so sorry about that! I'll try to fix it.

Edit: Fixed!

((Also, I almost missed your post! Remember to ping me!))
Edited By Aphelion on 4/19/2022 at 4:38 AM.
Figmir
Level 47
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 16
Posted: 4/20/2022 at 9:36 AM Post #29
`~`

Name: fig or moth

Pronouns: he/they

Your Cool Title: sleepyhead Zzz

Artist(s) You Like: bamsara, morgo_drawings, zoep-illustration

Pinglists ('General' by default): general and events

Art Examples (Optional): i mostly do traditional art which u can find on my insta

Other Platforms (Optional): insta (beetle._moth)

Taking Commissions (Yes/No):
i wouldnt mind trying request ^^ pm me, or dm me on insta

Resources You Use (Optional):
unsure, i just go ham with a pen lol

`~`
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Posted: 4/20/2022 at 10:27 AM Post #30
Welcome to the club!

For clarification, do you do commissions, or requests?
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.