Author Thread Post
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Threads: 113
Posted: 5/4/2022 at 2:00 AM Post #91
did you just call a piece a song i'm dead
((jkjk))

Hira, that's amazing! I can't believe people straight up just create such wonderful compositions with so many moving parts while still managing to make it sound cohesive and thematic. Wow.

I've been wanting to learn composition, actually - are there any resources you've used that you think are particularly helpful to get started?
Hiraeth
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Threads: 187
Posted: 5/4/2022 at 10:25 AM Post #92
Thank you <3

I'm mostly self taught, have been in music for a decade+, so I don't really have any 'tips' xD
I use musescore to compose - I think it's rather simple to learn if you know your way around music notation. It's one of those easy to learn heard to master things :p

Best advice I can give you is study composers you like - a big inspiration of mine is Yoko Shimomura and Nobuo Uematsu - they've done music for the kingdom hearts and final fantasy games.

Find what parts/techniques used in their pieces you like, and make it your own. I can ascribe it to drawing and creating your own style - at least that's how i view it.

I'd love to hear what you get up to! :D
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Posted: 5/4/2022 at 10:38 AM Post #93
Is musescore free? A friend who studies composition told me the same thing, although they said software like Sibelius is better when you start doing more advanced things. Also, isn't musescore the site that makes you pay to download/print music or something?

A decade! No wonder you know your stuff, haha. I imagine you've got quite the grasp on theory and orchestration. Man, and I was hoping I could get somewhere in a few months.
Hiraeth
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Posted: 5/4/2022 at 10:43 AM Post #94
It is free, yep! I swear by it because it's so versatile. I've tried other notation software, but they don't do it for me. I do use bandlab and other programs to finetune final mixes because musescore is a tad limited in soundfont options.

Musescore is picky with its downloads, but you can use flat.io to find most of the sheet music to download/print/edit for free.

lol imo experience is everything. I've played since i was in second grade, but I've only been composing for ~3 to 4 years - started out transposing piano pieces to string orchestra, and then went from there.
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Posted: 5/4/2022 at 11:27 AM Post #95
Ah, you're probably right about the experience thing. Man. Do you still play? If so, share your secrets of motivation oh maestro because I can barely make myself practice these days T~T

Also, since you've played for so long, please recommend some pieces to me! I'm hoarding increasing amounts of classical and I want more, more, more. I prefer violin concertos or symphonic pieces, but piano pieces (especially like Debussy's) are amazing as well! Of course, anything else you really like would be greatly appreciated.
Hiraeth
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Posted: 5/4/2022 at 11:53 AM Post #96
I'm more a soundtrack person, tbh. xD

with school, it's hard to find time to practice with art and writing and commissions and all that jazz :( I hope to play more over the summer and perhaps record some of my violin parts for my pieces bc its hard to find a good strings soundfont xD

But yes, anything from FF7:Remake and FFXV are huge inspirations for me. I highly recommend a listen :p

'Somnus' [violin] is my current favorite. I had the fortune of seeing Yoko Shimomura 'in concert' and it was transcendental.
Rashomon
Level 62
Trickster
Threads: 179
Posted: 5/4/2022 at 6:15 PM Post #97
ooh musescore is cool, that's where i get my bassoon music from >w<

i would totally comm you if i had money ;w; bc there's a character i'm thinking of writing a piece for but i'm too lazy and have no talent LMAO
once i get money...someday...i will comm you for music >:))
Hiraeth
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Posted: 5/4/2022 at 6:38 PM Post #98
I appreciate the thought and i'll be waiting hehe
Xedite
Level 71
The Perfectionist
Threads: 54
Posted: 5/5/2022 at 6:24 AM Post #99
*slips in here to lurk forever*

Name: Xed
Pronouns?: she/he/they
Favorite song/piece?: I can't really pick one of these, haha. I've been really into experimental things, German metal, indie things, and alternative lately, so my current favorite is probably this one. All the progressions just really hit for me. This band in general just seems to have some really awesome stuff.
Favorite artist/composer?: It varies from day to day with me honestly, I'm a huge fan of a lot of vgm composers like David Wise, Noriyuki Iwadare, Toby Fox, Koji Kondo, Yoko Shimomura, Nobuo Uematsu, Chuck Salamone, Alias Conrad Coldwood, but I also like a lot of artists like Parov Stelar, Caravan Palace, Red Vox, and Zack Hemsey.
There's so many others I could probably list off though! I'm a big fan of a lot of metal, jrock, rock, and electronic artists too, but that'd end up being an even larger list.
Do you play an instrument?: Used to play the trumpet, not anymore. Not very good with it, honestly. Also very hard to learn.
Do you write music?: Yes. You can find my stuff here. I compose vgm and various soundtracks/themes on my off time for various projects of mine. :)
Pings?: Only for questions, don't ping me for events or anything, I probably won't be here enough anymore to join them. I'm too busy/dead ;;
Edited By Xedite on 5/5/2022 at 6:29 AM.
Ethernalflame
Level 60
The Perfectionist
Threads: 60
Posted: 5/5/2022 at 10:43 AM Post #100
That

Was

AWSOME
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3... 9, 10, 11, 12
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.