Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > News and Announcements > Winter Festival Pet Traits
Page 3 1, 2, 3 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Mascot51
Level 62
Threads: 4
Posted: 12/24/2021 at 1:53 PM Post #21
Okay. Back to what I was saying to begin with, the antlers do most closely resemble the antlers on the mulies, since they tend to angle a little lower toward the head than either white-tail or mule deer. Mind you, this is a natural crossing of breeds mostly in the Continental Divide region of the Rocky Mountains. Right now and for the past, oh say, thirty or forty years, the two breeds, which are very closely related, have been interbreeding.

What happened is that the mule deer population came down with some kind of wasting disease that white tails are immune to. So, U.S. Fish and Game transplanted a large number of white-tail bucks to the areas where mule deer are the dominant breed. Since the white tails are immune to the disease and will breed with mule deer does, the transplanted stags were stronger than the illness weakened mule deer bucks.

The idea that Fish and Game had was to have the stronger, immune bucks breed most of the does. That's been working, mostly. The subsequent generations are mostly mulies, half or more white-tail, and somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 mule deer. Evolution at work, guided by the hand of Mankind...add the needed breed and gender and let God's design for auto-upgrades, i.e., Evolution, do the rest.

They have the larger body of the mule deer but the smaller ears of the white-tail as well as the greater immunity to the wasting sickness that's killing off the majority of the mule deer herds. Most of the bucks also have that somewhat swooping, inward canted angle of their antlers...this lasts from about age four to age seven...if they survive the predations of puma , the reintroduced wolves and human hunters to their 8th year, the antlers that grow in that year will be more upright, wider and further from the head.

The images that are available on the new breed are fascinating. That said, you got the placement of the base of the antlers in the wrong place. They grow on the forehead, not behind the ears.

Antlers grow from pedicels, which are bony supporting structures that develop in the lateral region of the frontal bones. The growth cycle is regulated by testicular and pituitary hormone. Secretions from the pituitary initiate the growth in April or May.

Here, Krin. Play with this. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fanimaldiversity.org%2Fcollections%2Fcontributors%2Fphil_myers%2Fhorns_antlers%2Fdeer_age.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fanimaldiversity.org%2Fcollections%2Fmammal_anatomy%2Fhorns_and_antlers%2F&tbnid=-3yFEAjmXvkpcM&vet=12ahUKEwiB_JrUnP30AhVEgXIEHWiMCsAQMygAegUIARCrAQ..i&docid=8sYjoXw7MgOeXM&w=1017&h=480&itg=1&q=What%20part%20of%20the%20head%20do%20antlers%20grow%20from%3F&ved=2ahUKEwiB_JrUnP30AhVEgXIEHWiMCsAQMygAegUIARCrAQ
Edited By Mascot51 on 12/24/2021 at 2:01 PM.
Mascot51
Level 62
Posted: 12/24/2021 at 2:14 PM Post #22
Edited By Mascot51 on 12/24/2021 at 2:19 PM.
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,119
Posted: 12/24/2021 at 2:15 PM Post #23
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=101257&page=3#21
Author: Mascot51
Time Posted: 12/24/2021 at 1:53 PM
Okay. Back to what I was saying to begin with, the antlers do most closely resemble the antlers on the mulies, since they tend to angle a little lower toward the head than either white-tail or mule deer. Mind you, this is a natural crossing of breeds mostly in the Continental Divide region of the Rocky Mountains. Right now and for the past, oh say, thirty or forty years, the two breeds, which are very closely related, have been interbreeding.

What happened is that the mule deer population came down with some kind of wasting disease that white tails are immune to. So, U.S. Fish and Game transplanted a large number of white-tail bucks to the areas where mule deer are the dominant breed. Since the white tails are immune to the disease and will breed with mule deer does, the transplanted stags were stronger than the illness weakened mule deer bucks.

The idea that Fish and Game had was to have the stronger, immune bucks breed most of the does. That's been working, mostly. The subsequent generations are mostly mulies, half or more white-tail, and somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 mule deer. Evolution at work, guided by the hand of Mankind...add the needed breed and gender and let God's design for auto-upgrades, i.e., Evolution, do the rest.

They have the larger body of the mule deer but the smaller ears of the white-tail as well as the greater immunity to the wasting sickness that's killing off the majority of the mule deer herds. Most of the bucks also have that somewhat swooping, inward canted angle of their antlers...this lasts from about age four to age seven...if they survive the predations of puma , the reintroduced wolves and human hunters to their 8th year, the antlers that grow in that year will be more upright, wider and further from the head.

The images that are available on the new breed are fascinating. That said, you got the placement of the base of the antlers in the wrong place. They grow on the forehead, not behind the ears.

Antlers grow from pedicels, which are bony supporting structures that develop in the lateral region of the frontal bones. The growth cycle is regulated by testicular and pituitary hormone. Secretions from the pituitary initiate the growth in April or May.

Here, Krin. Play with this. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fanimaldiversity.org%2Fcollections%2Fcontributors%2Fphil_myers%2Fhorns_antlers%2Fdeer_age.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fanimaldiversity.org%2Fcollections%2Fmammal_anatomy%2Fhorns_and_antlers%2F&tbnid=-3yFEAjmXvkpcM&vet=12ahUKEwiB_JrUnP30AhVEgXIEHWiMCsAQMygAegUIARCrAQ..i&docid=8sYjoXw7MgOeXM&w=1017&h=480&itg=1&q=What%20part%20of%20the%20head%20do%20antlers%20grow%20from%3F&ved=2ahUKEwiB_JrUnP30AhVEgXIEHWiMCsAQMygAegUIARCrAQ

The Lupora trait set was a mashup of a handful of different references - most were just fantasy wintery wolf-like designs. The trait set was intended to just be fantasy arctic traits. Thus, the end was a mix and matching of various things - thick fur, aura-like G1, snow speckle G3, some horns, crystal beaded jewelry, etc.

The name, Nomadic Yeti, is just what we attached to it. Could have been "Tundra Wolf", or many other things.

I also do not believe that the generally accepted description of folklore yeti's have horns of any kind. The horns you see fantasy yeti creatures have are just liberties those artists/creators took when designing them. Like ours, we went with the direction we went in because we thought it looked better than the alternatives.
Edited By Krinadon on 12/24/2021 at 2:16 PM.
Mascot51
Level 62
Posted: 12/24/2021 at 2:20 PM Post #24
Still, play with the images and have fun.
Slytherin7
Level 75
Crystalline Cleaver
Threads: 71
Posted: 12/24/2021 at 11:52 PM Post #25
What's going to happen with the old Crystallized griffies now that there's a new trait added to the set?
Krinadon
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Site Administrator
Threads: 1,119
Posted: 12/25/2021 at 12:02 AM Post #26
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=101257&page=3#25
Author: Slytherin7
Time Posted: 12/24/2021 at 11:52 PM
What's going to happen with the old Crystallized griffies now that there's a new trait added to the set?

Nothing. They can just now have the new Trait added on new versions of those Themed Pets or via RTDs.
Damahjai
Level 26
Threads: 0
Posted: 12/30/2021 at 8:13 AM Post #27
nice :i also want to put it out thier that i dont want people nuturing my pets im the only one who should be nuturing my pets if you nuture my pets i will send a request to ask for you to be stoped not to be mean i just dont want you guys doing that
Somneli
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Threads: 111
Posted: 12/30/2021 at 9:25 AM Post #28
Nobody is trying to be mean or anything by nurturing your pets. There's currently contests going on where people nurture for points and prizes, so a lot of people are nurturing right now. Some people nurture by species, others just nurture randomly by what the hatchery nurturing system brings up... no one is singling you out specifically. Also, the more nurtures a pet gets, the faster it will hatch (egg) and the higher its stats will be (hatchling), so really it's a good thing ^^
Scathreoite
Level 75
Hand of Destiny
Threads: 83
Posted: 12/30/2021 at 4:46 PM Post #29
If you were the only person to nurture your pets, then there would basically be no point to you nurturing them at all outside of the 1-scale-per-correct-nurture payout. Other people nurturing your pet isn't intended to be mean, or rude, and is frankly the desired outcome (unless for some reason you. don't want your pet to reach adulthood faster or be stronger?), because one person working alone cannot gain the true benefit of nurturing.

Egglings need six nurtures for each bonus (+1 maturity hour, meaning one less hour towards hatching). Since they're only an eggling for three days max, an eggling would get zero benefit if only one person nurtures them.
Hatchling stage lasts six days, so the only bonus they'd get if only one person nurtured them would be... they'd age up one hour sooner. Hatchlings need four nurtures for every bonus maturity hour, and they need eight for each bonus stat point. Nurtures don't carry across stages mechanically, even though they all show on the same counter, so you couldn't get bonus stats (if a hatchling just hatched and has '3' on its 'times nurtured' counter, those do not count for any times it gets nurtured as a hatchling, since they were from when it was an eggling)

so
Eggling
Time: 3 days
Nurtures per +1mh: 6
= impossible with only one person nurturing

Hatchling
Time: 6 days
Nurtures per +1mh: 4
= max of one
Nurtures per +1 stat: 8
= impossible with only one person nurturing
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3
This Page loaded in 0.011 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.