Forum Index > Suggestion Box > The Issues with Themes
Page 1 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Go to Page:
Author Thread Post
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 293
Posted: 12/22/2021 at 1:41 AM Post #1
Well, we sure do have a lot to unpack so lets get started!

So I would like to welcome you all to my Issues with Recent Themes masterpost! There have been quite a few issues recently that not only I - but other players - have noticed. From themes being picked as far back as 2019, countless species swaps, an overwhelming amount of brown/blue themes, admins changing player designs for the worst, admin designs being generally disliked by the community as a whole. Now I'm not saying that the community should be the ones to picked the themed designs - admins should still have a say in that - but something needs to change in how we are getting these designs. I will go over each of my points individually and I would love feedback, thoughts, or other issues people have to be voiced below!

Quotes will be in a separate post due to word count.

I would also like to note, I am not speaking truly badly of any designs. There are just some that do not work as a themed design but would work better as a one trait design etc etc

Any designs talked about are either Admin Designs or I have permission from the Designer to talk about them.

One
Previous Years Designs Being Chosen
Now don't get me wrong on this, I get choosing a stellar design from previous years here and there but in this fest alone we had 6 designs taken from previous years. Now this isn't a lot but with 13 admin designs being thrown in, it's not looking as good for the Winter 2021 themed lineup. These designs are good, but why ignore all great designs from your current themed design thread?

Now for this section, with permission from Ley we will be discussing the Arctic Cavern Vulynx, a 2021 Winter themed design taken from the 2020 Winter Themed Design thread.

Now while I have nothing against this design, it is a well done design - why was it picked over Ley's current 2021 design? Both designs are good but with a year to improve you can see the better color cohesiveness in the new design, as well as you are sticking with the year you asked people to design for which as for everyone i've talked to, is what the player base would prefer. There was no real reason to pick the other design, both work well with all traits and it's not like the 2021 design fails completly as a design. Designs picked should be current, we should not being seeing designs popping back up from 2019, 2020 etc. Each thread has a number of good designs and as me and other players have shown with our fake lineups a full successful theme lineup can be chosen every year from the current years design thread.

Another issue doing this I have heard voice by several users is that by picking designs from previous years you are discouraging new designs. I have talked to a few players who feel that if designs are just going to be picked from previous years why should they bother to make new designs - this point will also tie in with Admin Designs.

Another thing with this is, if the user really liked that previous years designs they would have resubmitted it. Players resubmit designs all the time. If it isn't resubmitted there is the chance this design has been used in a project or has been since used in some other way and therefore shouldn't be picked as a themed design. With the possibility the player no longer likes this design or it has been put to use elsewhere older designs are at risk of either being disliked by the designer or already in use by designer for a personal project.

Two
Species Swaps

Now onto species swaps, almost as dreaded as the admin color changes. For this we will be talking about Skor's Arctic Expedition Luffox, which became the Arctic Expedition Sylvorpa. Now for this fest Skor submitted this lovely design which was designed to work and interact well with Luffox traits.

This design would be taken and (color changes made by admins aside) turned into a Sylvorpa. Now why in theory this could work in reality is does not work. Each species uses colors different and a design that works for one species will not always translate well to another species. In this example this change made many of the g1/g2s invisible which is not ideal.

shown with admin color changes

Too further drive home the point Skor submitted this Sylvorpa design that is lovely and, since it was designed for a Sylvorpa, doesn't have all the flaws that the species swapped arctic expedition luffox had.

Another issue with this is the lack of player permission to have their design swapped. Players are submitting their designs for one species - they may not want this design to be transferred over to another species even if it works.

To fix this I would like to propose if the admins are going to species swap something perhaps a change could be sent to the designer, this way admins and designers can work on making something that both parties can be happy with.

Three
The overwhelming use of Brown + Blue

Now to start this section off, I would like to say: I am not hating on all brown/blue themes. Some brown/blue themes are quite good, this is simply to talk about the overwhelming amount of them compared to other colors. I can't think of a reason for this other then perhaps admins favorite colors? There is plenty of color variety in theme threads usually.

To help break this down for you all, imagine if 50% of the avatar items were brown or blue based. There would be some issues.

Now to start off, this section will be shorter then other sections as there is already a whole thread on it (specifically talking about brown), linked in the first paragraph. I will include a screenshot of the main paragraph below as well as some math done by Aeling, Sven, tox, silver, Vani, Tigress, and I to better help highlight just how many brown/blue themes there are compared to other colors. These stats will be based on base color and will not be taking in to count traits/genes.

The math of this will be listed here on this Google Sheets, as well as a few relevant screenshots below.
Currently a work in progress, enough species shown to highlight issues for the time being.

So far browns + blues are consistently showing up as the majority base color of themes for all species.

One way I can suggest to help this is for the admins to keep a better catalog of themes to refer back to in order to keep from repeating colors over and over again.

Four
Admin Design Changes

This section I believe is the section that most designers have an issue with.

In this specific example we will be using CthuwuKrak3n's design, the Frosted Rose Vulynx. Now this design will also fall under the species swap as it was originally a Ny'Vene but for now we will just be focusing on the changes admins made to this design, causing it to be almost unrecognizable.

Now to start with we will be looking at the original color pallet of the design:

We can see a nice array of pleasant reds and blues.

Now let's look at what became a theme:

In this design we see 3 total colors that were not changed.

After the change this is what we have:

Now this whole mess could have been avoided if the design was just not swapped but this was the most serious color change I have personally seen in a while.

Here is the original design to better highlight the color changes as well:

Now for another change we will be looking at: Skor's Lurking Leviathan Lighira for Summer 2021.
This is the design submitted by Skor:

and this is the design we got:

Now these changes completly changed the designs, the lovely pink hues were changed to a grey yellow and with other color changes it made come traits completly invisible. Now why were these changes made? Not quite sure. After speaking to Skor they personally are not happy with the changes made and is not a fan of the admin changes.

What is a way to avoid this? If the admins have changes they would like to make perhaps DM the creator - similar to the idea for species swaps admin and player can work together to find a design both enjoy.

Five
Admin Designs

In this final section we will be talking about admin designs. These designers are generally disliked by the community according to most people i've asked. Now there is nothing wrong with being bad at designing - it is a complicated skill that takes lots of tries and failing to truly hone. There is also the fact that many players feel discouraged when seeing high numbers of admin picks which, knowing that admins will just disregard well put together player designs in favor of designs that don't work well with many traits and genes when there are amazing examples in the themed threads is truly disheartening. Now I'm all for 1 or 2 admin designs here or there but, for example this fest, 13 feels a bit excessive.

Many people in the community dislike admin designs due to their mess of colors that don't work well together. As stated before designing is a skill that requires knowledge of how colors work - as well as what is generally appealing with almost every trait a species will have. Now to change this I suggest trying to limit admin designs more - keep them to just the majestics or 1-2 themes per fest perhaps?

Final Thoughts

I would like to thank you all for reading my rather long post about this. This is an issue I have seen stated time and time again in private but I haven't seen it posted publicly anywhere. Now I know that I may not have worded this the best in places but I hope my main points get across and that what I have said will be considered. I am also hoping that other players and designers will comment and give there thoughts on what I have to say.

Thanks again for reading, tldr below.

(TLDR; stop species swaps + admin design changes without first consulting the designer, cut down on the number or brown + blue themes by keeping a catalog of all themes to refer back top, and to cut down on admin designs)
Edited By Limor on 12/22/2021 at 3:42 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 12/22/2021 at 1:41 AM Post #2
Quotes about this issue
I will be keeping these players anon for their privacy.

"There is a disconnect between how Admins and Players think of traits when it comes to designs, while designers design with the idea that sometimes there are a few traits that just aren't going to look good with a palette, and efforts to make those few traits work (ex ferrikki tri-toned bengal or nephini lich wings) can upset the balance the designer had created in the others. On the flip side, admins seem design with the ideal that all traits can look good with one color scheme - which with how traits currently interact with each other is sadly rarely possible."
-
"Admin changes to designs in the effort of making EVERY trait on a species work often upset the careful balance a designer created, and sacrifices cohesion in the majority of other traits."
-
"The admins coded and layered the traits, and I'm sure on paper they work, but the admins don't have as much experience making the traits/color slots work together as veteran designers. Some players will also have a stronger grasp on color theory because they have more time to dedicate to just designing. There is also a disconnect as to how certain traits are being layered/interacting, what traits are popular/wanted, and how the inconsistent way traits pull from color slots make some species really difficult to design for."
-
"Designers have the time and will often take the time to check almost all if not all traits with their designs, subtly tweaking until its to their liking. They have hours to do this, the admins do not. Designers have the time to learn how traits interact and what looks good on certain species, and have the time to work on that. When admins change designs they do not realize how much they might be messing up the design, even if its just a small change. Submitted designs are not intended to be tweaked in any way (not including anticipated color swing), and by doing so they're interfering with the designers intended result. Often times for the worse. Same goes for species swaps, color slots interact differently for every species, and by swapping it to another species it was not designed for you're most definitely butchering how the traits were intended to work on its original species. You cannot simply swap colors over and change a few slots around and make it look good. It would probably be better if the admins just didn't try to make them work at all. I think it's more disappointing to a designer to see their theme get picked and have all the colors be scrambled then to not get anything picked at all."
-
"Admins occasionally will change designs to improve showcase traits without keeping other traits in mind, I would like to suggest they change the displayed traits based on the design, rather than changing the design to work with showcase traits"
-
"I think that admins should never change a design from reputable designers in the first place. Maybe they should consider showcasing designs with some of the traits that the designers themselves chose to showcase with-- because usually when im figuring out my male/female display pets im going for what i think displays the colors of my design very well and will look appealing. Theres no point to changing the traits other than personal admin preference."
-
"Admin interference in designs is like watching a moose parade around your fine china shop while slipping all over the linoleum floors and knocking down shelves like dominos. Oh yeah, and you're also handcuffed to the register."

Suggestions
-
Catalog Themes better to make for easier reference to prevent repetitive designs
-
Ask designers before changing/species swapping designs
-
Contract out designers to help make themed line-ups
-
Designer 'groups' that pick out line-ups/favorite designs per species and then submit them to Krinadon, letting admins have final say
-
Themed design voting pages where you can submit + vote anonymously, would give community more input and cut down on admin workload
-
More transparency in the themed picks process, this will let players have a better idea of whats happening and perhaps help them understand how themes are better chosen
-
Keep theme picks to the contest from the year they came from
-
Release theme choices they same way theme changes are made before the fest. This will allow more input from the community. Perhaps multiple choices could be listed per species.
Edited By Limor on 3/6/2022 at 11:31 PM.
Vampory
Level 75
The Carver
Threads: 47
Posted: 12/22/2021 at 2:06 AM Post #3
You're right about the unrecognizable part x'D

I did not realize the design was based off of my Ny'vene design until a few days into fest only after someone had told me I'd been credited as the designer in WildCatBlue's 2021 Winter Fest Theme Guide.

I personally apologize to any Vulnyx collectors out there who could have had a number of wonderful vul designs summited that were actually intended for the vuls traits. I also feel as if my original design was totally butchered when it was 'edited' onto the Vulnyx base. It shares almost none of the colors I originally used and has a totally different color palette than intended. It doesn't even look like a Frosted Rose to me-- on my Ny'vene I used a blue as the frost part, on the vul? The only thing there is to show for it is the g2 color.

The g2 color as well came completely out of nowhere, and I see that in the mutation slots two of the same hex was used. Its personally embarrassing to me to see my design so sloppily edited onto a species it was never intended for and I have to take credit for that. I'm so happy to have a theme picked, but I'm upset that for vul collectors and for myself the palette was completely butchered on my first theme.

Just look at this g2

Whats with the weird teal?

And this green. And the pink?? I never used pink?? Trust me if I was going for a pink rose I probably would have named it "Frosted Pink Rose."

UPDATE: Went ahead and made a redye plan for the project I want to do. I don't think Krin will adjust the color palette since it's so long after winter fest (and it's such a drastic change), but I may pm him anyway just to see if itd be possible.

Its embarrassing. Embarrassing and upsetting that I don't even want to collect my own theme, and that I have to put my name on this when I know my designs are *so* much better. None of the colors on this are even close to what I originally wanted or intended. It looks bad, im sorry, this vul is just bad.

And I hope the admins dont take this as a message to never pick my designs again, as pointed out by limor, this has happened to lots of other designer's designs. And I love designing, but if you're going to pick a design pick it on the *species* it was intended for and don't go mucking around with the colors.

A designers' design is their own vision, I highly doubt anyone would appreciate changes to that. And if the admins want to make a change because of a technical issue, like color blobbing-- I would honestly suggest just picking a design instead that does not have those issues instead of trying to 'fix' them.

---

As a Bulbori collector myself, on the topic of the multitude of brown themes, I have been severely disappointed to see brown Bulboris get picked year after year, fest after fest-- multiple fests in a row!

Just this year there have been at least three new brown Bulboris picked. The sunken treasure, flying fox, and the tundra sunrise. From last year we have the Darling deer.

Now, the designs themselves aren't bad, but just looking at the pie chart there's just *too many* already and I'm so so tired of waiting until the next festival, hoping, just to see that I have to collect another brown Bulbori when there's already a multitude of them! They're pretty, and good designs, but almost 30% of all Bulbori designs are brown-- please no more.
Edited By CthuwuKrak3n on 3/7/2022 at 3:35 PM.
Zekotan
Level 75
Frosty Hands
Threads: 22
Posted: 12/22/2021 at 1:23 PM Post #4
Maybe they should just do mini contracts with some of the designers before each fest to make the 'admin' designs. Still have the contests as there are good submissions, but have the designers help them go through those too. Though that would have it's own issues I am sure.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 12/22/2021 at 4:02 PM Post #5
would you mind elaborating on how this would work in your opinion? I think it's an interesting idea :)
Typhlosion
Level 75
Wondrous Witch
Threads: 331
Posted: 12/22/2021 at 4:53 PM Post #6
Link: https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=101232&page=1#3
Author: Vampory
Time Posted: 12/22/2021 at 2:06 AM
You're right about the unrecognizable part x'D

I did not realize the design was based off of my Ny'vene design until a few days into fest only after someone had told me I'd been credited as the designer in WildCatBlue's 2021 Winter Fest Theme Guide.

I personally apologize to any Vulnyx collectors out there who could have had a number of wonderful vul designs summited that were actually intended for the vuls traits. I also feel as if my original design was totally butchered when it was 'edited' onto the Vulnyx base. It shares almost none of the colors I originally used and has a totally different color palette than intended. It doesn't even look like a Frosted Rose to me-- on my Ny'vene I used a blue as the frost part, on the vul? The only thing there is to show for it is the g2 color.

The g2 color as well came completely out of nowhere, and I see that in the mutation slots two of the same hex was used. Its personally embarrassing to me to see my design so sloppily edited onto a species it was never intended for and I have to take credit for that. I'm so happy to have a theme picked, but I'm upset that for vul collectors and for myself the palette was completely butchered on my first theme.

Just look at this g2

Whats with the weird teal?

And this green. And the pink?? I never used pink?? Trust me if I was going for a pink rose I probably would have named it "Frosted Pink Rose."

UPDATE: Went ahead and made a redye plan for the project I want to do. I don't think Krin will adjust the color palette since it's so long after winter fest (and it's such a drastic change), but I may pm him anyway just to see if itd be possible.

Its embarrassing. Embarrassing and upsetting that I don't even want to collect my own theme, and that I have to put my name on this when I know my designs are *so* much better. None of the colors on this are even close to what I originally wanted or intended. It looks bad, im sorry, this vul is just bad.

And I hope the admins dont take this as a message to never pick my designs again, as pointed out by limor, this has happened to lots of other designer's designs. And I love designing, but if you're going to pick a design pick it on the *species* it was intended for and don't go mucking around with the colors.

A designers' design is their own vision, I highly doubt anyone would appreciate changes to that. And if the admins want to make a change because of a technical issue, like color blobbing-- I would honestly suggest just picking a design instead that does not have those issues instead of trying to 'fix' them.

---

As a Bulbori collector myself, on the topic of the multitude of brown themes, I have been severely disappointed to see brown Bulboris get picked year after year, fest after fest-- multiple fests in a row!

Just this year there have been at least three new brown Bulboris picked. The sunken treasure, flying fox, and the tundra sunrise. From last year we have the Darling deer.

Now, the designs themselves aren't bad, but just looking at the pie chart there's just *too many* already and I'm so so tired of waiting until the next festival, hoping, just to see that I have to collect another brown Bulbori when there's already a multitude of them! They're pretty, and good designs, but almost 30% of all Bulbori designs are brown-- please no more.

As someone who also collects Bulbories (and very avidly, I might add), the lack of colorful Bulbories these fests have kind of been a discouragement. Combined with the already mostly lackluster Grove Themes for bulbs - not to hate on them, they are pretty, but 2 of them are very brown, and 2 of them are also very blue. There also happens to be a problem of brown *and* blue for Bulbories - Forest Shadow, Frosty Soil, Sunken Treasure, and the newest Tundra Sunrise all suffer from this very problem. They look so similar, I swear I cant tell half of the 0vis ones apart when looking for Bulbs on the AS. @-@
It worked for the Forest Shadow, and okay, maybe also the Frosty Soil, but it shouldve stopped there. The Sunken Treasure has some really ugly browns (even for brown standards), and the Tundra Sunrise does not look like a sunrise. It looks like a dead tundra tree with some sort of indigo that doesnt go with the rest of the color scheme at all. @-@
I realize Bulbories arent cared about so much in the grand scheme of things - except for some hardy collectors, and maybe someone whose theme got picked, they arent very coveted. This also happens with some other species - mainly Morkkos, Draeyls, and Faeloras.
But for all of those themes - making worse color schemes does not fix their problems, and neglecting them tends only to make it worse. Faeloras are getting a revamp (woo!) and the others (other than Bulbories) have all gotten revamps, but it kind of still screams of neglect.

I feel like I strayed off my point a little bit. It just frustrates me that these underrated species are getting far more underrated by becoming something that even the people that already like them cant like. There were so many good designs for all of them for this fests submissions, and instead what was picked (no offense to anyone who did design them) were incredibly lackluster. It was really disappointing.

There has to be something we can do to fix the way that themes are chosen, especially when they are modified against the permission of the designers.
Zekotan
Level 75
Frosty Hands
Threads: 22
Posted: 12/22/2021 at 5:00 PM Post #7
It could potentially work in 2 ways that I can think of.

The first way would be how they are contracting out for the updated artwork they are commissioning where they work out a 2-4 week work contract with designers who apply for the position and pay them in real currency.

The second way would be to have a loose agreement with trusted designers and offer them in game bonuses such as choice of pets, diamonds or other similar in game payments for services rendered.

In either case The designers could test out the submitted designs to find flaws or see the ones that work to help the Admins make better informed theme choices. In the event of there being no working designs the designers would then work with the admins to make one for the species that needed it or maybe even work with players on designs that the Admins would like slightly changed.

In the case of the species swap the designers could reach out to the player who submitted the original and work with them to come up with a workable swap. That said I personally I don't feel like this is a practice that should continue at all as it takes away from players who worked on the first species and the players who worked on the species it was swapped to.

This would have several benefits if done these ways. It would lessen the workload for the Admins and allow them to focus more on site infrastructure. It would in theory lessen the amount of 'bad' themes and hopefully balance out against the brown and blue themes. It would create a bridge between what the community needs and what the Admins find acceptable.

I'm not 100% sure my ideas would work, but I'm hoping that it can be a baseline for someone to spring off of and come up with a workable long term solution.
Shadowized
Level 75
Leaf Bender
Threads: 97
Posted: 12/22/2021 at 7:17 PM Post #8
https://www.sylestia.com/forums/?thread=91217&page=1#1

The above link is to my theme guide. While doing this guide a lot of interesting facts have come into light. There is definitely a repeated color scheme on most of the species. Whether its the blue and brown of the bulbs or the grays and browns of the vorps. There are so many good designs submitted that are different yet time and again they are overlooked for unknown reasons. I know the admins are busy and I can't help but to wonder if maybe they don't have the time to truly go through the themes and instead rely on other means to get the themes picked. (Ie having four or five designs picked from the same person). No offense to those who get picked, mind you.. a lot of your themes are awesome.. but at the same time some of what's been picked is just blah. This particular fest I was overly disappointed. Everything just felt lackluster and.. sad.. in a way (if that makes sense). Then again it could just be the presentation because I haven't had a chance to really dive into each individual theme yet.
Edited By Shadowized on 12/22/2021 at 7:18 PM.
Katty
Level 75
Shadow of the Moon
Threads: 202
Posted: 12/22/2021 at 11:20 PM Post #9
I think the best idea for how to tackle this:

ONE: The admins make a group of people 10+ that help pick themes. Those people each pick a theme. they narrow down the designs to 5 each species and those are submitted to Krin.

OR

TWO: The themes submitted are loaded into a page on site where you can rate it out of ten. The themes can be submitted into the page so there is no themes that are shown till the submissions are closed and voting begins. The voting will be blind, even if you share all your designs with all your friends thats still going to not be alot of people to skew the votes. The top 5 of each species again can be picked through by admin.

These options i feel would take alot of work off admin's plates, opening up alot of time usually spent picking and creating themes for other things.
Aphelion
Level 75
Fright Master
Threads: 113
Posted: 12/23/2021 at 5:02 AM Post #10
I'd like to add, if I may, that it would be helpful to have more transparency in the process with which themes are chosen. I've looked around a little and couldn't find any thread or post detailing how themes are chosen; maybe there exists one, but even if that's the case, it isn't made clear and easy to access for players who are curious and want to know more.

As Shadowized mentioned, it does seem like a lot of themes each fest are created by the same handful of designers, and while I agree that their designs are gorgeous, I believe there are many other pretty designs out there; it raises the question of whether or not the process is fair. Especially when designs from past years are being picked - it's hard to believe that out of all the submissions for the present year, there isn't one that is decent enough for a species.
Edited By Aphelion on 12/23/2021 at 11:25 AM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
This Page loaded in 0.014 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.