Players 2,407 367
Sylestia Pet Data
Category Total Yesterday
Pets 8,242,961 1,762
Generated 656,182 12
Captured 1,190,474 65
Bred 6,396,210 1,685
Statistics updated daily at midnight
Forum Index > Off-Topic Discussion > LF Second Opinions (on writing)
Page 1  
Author Thread Post
Typhlosion
Level 75
Wondrous Witch
Threads: 331
Posted: 10/24/2021 at 10:54 PM Post #1
S o
I am about to publish my first book, but dear god, idk if the manuscript is good enough, or what needs tweaking, etc.
I would like someone to maybe help me read over parts of it? See if it works? DX
I will compensate you for your time! Just lmk what you want (within reason) for help with my book.
I really just need help man it's kinda escaping me and my brain hurts.
Rashomon
Level 62
Trickster
Threads: 179
Posted: 10/25/2021 at 4:37 PM Post #2
I'd be willing to ^_^

I write in British English though, so if there's any issues with grammar/spelling, I might make it Brit-like x-x
Sp00ns
Level 75
Fancy Pants
Threads: 75
Posted: 10/27/2021 at 8:34 AM Post #3
Hello!

I don't think I'll have too much to say considering you're likely a much more advanced writer than I am, but I'd love to take a look at it! Are you looking for spelling/grammar accuracy, interest check for the general idea, or opinion on your word choices?

An easy tip I heard a bit ago that's helped my writing a lot is that telling outright what's happening or what a character is feeling rather than showing can make the scene feel a little boring or make it come across as less-advanced than you'd want.

The words "feel/felt" is a sign that you're telling instead of showing. If you notice it, find a different way to express the same thing.

Example:

Replace "He felt like he was going to pass out" with "The floor seemed to sway under his feet."

It gives more of a visual of how the character feels!

Another thing, if you have a character that is a minority or a part of a culture/community you aren't familiar with [Neurodivergent, LGBTQ+, or of a different ethnic culture], having people in those communities look over your work as a beta reader, have them talk with you about their experience and how you could make it seem more authentic and relatable is really useful.

I also want to ask if you'd like me to use tone indicators in conversation? I personally don't feel like I need them in many situations, but I do feel a bit more comfortable and they help prevent misunderstandings.

This Page loaded in 0.007 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.